USMNT v Canada

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by dcheather, Jun 3, 2012.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Tonight at 7pm ET on NBC Sports Network and Univision. Line-ups and predictions?

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-Natio ... ronto.aspx

Really surprised to see we haven't played Canada up there since 1997 :shock: The atmosphere will be rocking for sure and the boys better be ready to go/ I would expect a lot of players to get in since the first qualifier is only 5 days away, 1-1 the final score.

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Goodsen or Gooch? I dont know who I'd go with at this point. I would like to see a 4-4-2 with Hercules and Jozy up top and Bradley, Dempsey, Donovan, and Edu in the middle, but I know we wont see that. Der Kaiser will go with a 4-3-3 because he thinks Canada will be easy and will underestimate them despite our Olympic lesson. Instead of Jozy and Edu, we will see tater Torres and the "nasty" thug. He'll bring Josy on for Hercules or tater in the second half.

Alos have to love the way Klinsmann keeps insisting this is a five game tournament. Forget preparing the team for WC qualifying with these friendlies, lets give all these games equal importance because you know with Klinsy in charge qualifying is a given, just like the Olympics; it will be easy.

Unfortunately for Canada Josh Simpson broke his leg last week so the Canucks will be without one of their most dangerous players. I expect Canada to fair better than Scotland, but predict the USA wins by 2 goals.

4. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

If we're playing our best and not giving some starters a rest then this is what I think we'll see:

Howard

Dolo-Goodsen-Boca-Johnson

Edu

Donovan-Bradley-Jones-Dempsey

Altidore

What I would like to see

Howard

Dolo-Goodsen-Boca-Johnson

Donovan-Bradley-Jones(Edu)-Torres

Dempsey

Gomez(Altidore)

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I think we'll something similar to the Brazil line-up, with Dempsey and Altidore coming off the bench. We should win this game, but I have a feeling we'll been in for a fight. I hope the team isn't zonked and they'll have some energy for the qualifiers after this.

6. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Would like to see Gooch back in there. I think a poor outing is enhanced by a benching, so I'd put him out there just to shake off the Brazil effort. We're gonna need him down the road, otherwise we might as well use some younger defenders and say thanks for your service.

7. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Klinsmann said Jozy still had some catching up to do as of yesterday since he hasn't been playing/training for the last couple weeks, so I am guessing Gomez will start with Jozy coming off the bench like he did with Dempsey on Wednesday. My guess at what he will the lineup will be:

Howard
    Dolo-Goodson/Cameron-Boca-Johnson
    Jones-Bradley-Torres
    Donovan-Dempsey
    Gomez

8. JackCaz

JackCaz New Member

Say thanks for the service. He's done.

9. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

UGH...F. Johnson was pulled at the last minute from the line-up. I hope it's not serious whatever it is, we need him for Guatemala.

Edit: Mild right calf strain. Hopefully he'll be good to go on the road. Fingers crossed.

10. Clevelandmo

We should be down 1-0 at the moment but the Mexican ref decided to cover for Castillo.

Canada looks every bit as good as us but look who we have on the field vs them. The announcers are back tracking and covering up for Klinsmann's stupid comments about being nasty.

Mexico beat baby Brazil 2-O and we were trounced by them. Yes we beat Italy 1-0 but Russia just beat them 3 - 0 and they are currently imploding.

11. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

The US were tired. Made sloppy passes and touches, and seemed uninterested in making short runs in the end to open up Canada's defense. The defense was slightly better this game versus Brazil; Goodsen has earned the starting spot along Bocanegra. Castillo was good and bad, not too bad for a late start where he wasn't even dressed for the match?! Hope the US gets some rest before qualifiers, or at least cut down on some time in training...need some fresh legs and minds out there.

12. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

That was boring. If we can barely show up against Canada what's going to happen when we play in Central America?

13. Clevelandmo

I would say we're definitely ready for CONCACAF WC qualifying.

14. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

We are? Is there sarcasm I'm missing?

15. Clevelandmo

No sarcasm. A simply stunning performance by the US, was it not? Feel free to discuss.

16. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

You are not alone in your dislike of our manager. I was all for this, but he has been horrible so far. It is obvious that Low was the main inspiration of the German team. I actually fear that we might not qualify which is shocking for where we should be.

17. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Disappointing, to be sure, but I'm gonna wait 'til we start playing games that count before joining in the Klinsi bashing. Thought they'd do better after somewhat misleading scoreline vs. baby Brazil, but I guess not.

18. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Dude, the squad could care less about this match. Let's chat after the qualifiers start. Chill out, folks.

19. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I agree with this. Some people, not saying people on here (more so on other sites/twitter), thought we were world beaters after beating Scotland 5-1 and now everyone is ready to fire Klinsmann.

The team looked a bit tired (Maybe too many games? Granted I understand the whole "tournament format" idea). And when things weren't working out, we went back to our normal "just cross it into the box and maybe something good will happen".

Another game where Michael Bradley was playing too deep for my taste. I would rather have Jones/Edu drop back and play the "#6 role" and have Bradley more involved in the offense. Bradley is more skilled than Jones with the ball at his feet.

And maybe we are reaching the point in his career where Donovan can't bring it every night like we have been accustomed to over the years. After a great Scotland game, he has sort of disappeared on his over the last two games (I think I read a stat where he only completed like 57% of his passes today).

Goodson played well and Castillo was alright considering that I have never been a big of him.

The real deal begins on Friday. Hopefully they can sort some things out.

20. Clevelandmo

Goodsen was the only US player to play well. Jozy and Gomez may have had good matches had they seen the ball more.

The situation with this team just gets more ridiculous. Castillo wasnt even on the 18 man roster for the game and you start him when Johnson gets injured? Who does that. Forget the fact that Castillo shouldnt even be on the 23 man squad to begin with. Yes, he has nice footskills and quick feet but those players are all over the place, at this point he does not have the discipline and focus needed for the international game. And he is a jerk for publically dissing Bornstein after the Gold Cup. Michael Parkhurst at RB? Near the end of the match Jones was essentially playing forward, I guess for the clinical finishing that he so regularly displays. Or is it his "nastiness". I'm sorry to keep railing on Klinsmann because you guys dont seem to want to hear it but if an American coach did these things he would be catching serious heat from the fans and journalists. Instead, I read one article in which Klinsmann was actually given credit for the Michael Bradley's current form in Italy and recent form for the nats. When we do poorly it's the players fault because they are naive and because US soccer isnt Germany. When we do well it's because of Klinsmann. Klinsmann talks about the players needing to be more nasty, he is the one that needs to be more intense and focused. Instead he sits there on the sideline with his silly grin. He needs more consistency and he needs to get his act together and foster a better relationship with our player's club, ala the Jozy Altidore situation.

The team looks tired, disorganized and unprepared for WC qualifying. I've been saying it since the beginning, be prepared for an effing disaster because it is on it's way.