USMNT v Brazil

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by dcheather, May 27, 2012.

1. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Until things went south for BB in the Gold Cup, I always thought the USMNT played with a good deal of mental toughness under BB. Maybe that was partly due to consistently having to fight back from early deficits, but it was a solid trait of the squad nonetheless. Still, nothing wrong with a clean, hard foul or two early on to let the other team know you're on the pitch too. It's the way the lesser squads in CONCACAF play against the US, and it's the way the US needs to play against the top teams.

2. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

I'm still a neophyte, but I don't think you can intimidate a side the way you can in a more physical sport, say, hockey or football or, to a slightly lesser degree, basketball. The pitch is too big and the skill level of a Brazil or Holland would seem to me to negate any attempts to "hit 'em early, hit 'em hard." Plus, from what I've seen of soccer officiating, especially on the international level, you could easily end up being a man down or more in pretty short order, if not swimming in free kicks and corners. And true, it's not the "American way" to dive or attempt to gain an advantage through dishonest means, but it seems to be the norm everywhere else on the planet. I'm sure we have few friends in international soccer circles, especially among the highly suspect officiating corps, but I'm sure the Dempseys, Donovans and Bocas know that when they step onto the pitch. There's not a hell of a lot they can do about it except play their game the best they can. But being "nastier" and swarming the ref will probably do more harm than good.

So what TO do?

Just play as hard and clean as we're capable of, and let whatever happens, happen.

3. nevzter

Ahh, jumpkutz, but you can announce your presence, and to a lesser extent, possibly intimidate. It's not the same manner in which a "de-cleater" by the strong-safety works in pointy football, but soccer requires a similar type of hardness for a successful squad. Look at what DeJong and Van Basten for Holland, Keane for Ireland (when he actually played...), Sandro for Brasil, Viera and Deschamps in the past for France or Gattuso for Italy...the list goes on. These types of players free up the game for the scorers and "flair" players. And moreso, it's a mental statement that 'we won't bow down to you simply b/c you have "X" country's crest on your shirt." I believe at one point, for a few years even, Bradley had drilled this attitude into the USMNT - a 'we're coming at you with our game no matter who you are' focus, and it seems to have left the fold, but I'm sure it can be cultivated again.

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I think Boca nailed the bit of nastiness in the Scotland match when he took out his rival Scot, Celtic player after he had laid into a US player. He got a yellow for the hard foul but it sent a message to the other team that they weren't going to take BS from the Scots. It wasn't to injure to the player but to send message just like in hockey...we will go toe to toe with you on the physical side of the game so no cheap hits or watch yourself. I think the players get what Klinsmann was trying to get at.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_i ... .html#more

And after the friendly in Panama this past winter, where we the US had a player sent off early because of a soft red, I'm sure the US knows what the refs are like when we travel down south. But the team can't play apprehensive in the physical aspect because of the threat of soft red card hanging over their heads, I'm tired of seeing our guys get hacked with impunity. Yes, going down a player from oblivious refs will hurt, but letting the other team boss you around and hack you without recourse will too.

Also, I really didn't think Jones' tackle on Neymar was that bad. I thought the trailing leg was only thing that was kinda naughty about it, but nothing outrageous.

5. nevzter

I'm sure 'Mo will agree, but I love Gomez' comments. He looks poised to do a job in the next couple of years...and I want to see him paired with Jozy as I think he'd be the foil we've missed since Davies. I'll never forget his run vs. Slovenia which took the CB with him and allowed Bradley to run into his goal...his exuberant joy in the subsequent celebration was apparent as well:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQa0PbZZ6N0[/youtube]

6. nevzter

7. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Why I prefer baseball to most every other sport (and what usually happens when you try to "announce your presence").

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaLdrVWDdQU[/youtube]