USMNT Report Card [summer school '08]

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, Jun 24, 2008.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, taking into account the three friendlies and the two matches against Barbados, who do we think did themselves the most good this summer? Here's a short list of guys who got an A from me, in any case. In no particular order:

1. Brad Guzan -- ready for the EPL now
    2. Tim Howard -- compare his summer work against Petr Cech's or even Buffon's
    3. Freddy Adu -- ready for prime-time player
    4. Heath Pearce -- you knew he had to be on my list
    5. Danny Califf -- we expected so little; he did so much
    6. Gooch -- almost perfect
    7. Steve Cherundolo -- maybe the most effective player all summer

If he'd played more than one match, I'd have given Drew Moor an A also. He was calm, assured, and on-the-ball. He has to be considered 'dolo's prime backup candidate.

Notice the absence of strikers? Notice that only Freddy ISN'T a defender? Well, there ya go.

So, who gets an A from you, teach? :wink:

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

RE: USMNT Report Card [summer school

I like your list, and yes, Strikers and Scorers are currently our weakest positions. Recall McBride anyone?

Sacha Kljestan gets a B.
    Kid is improving and looks ready for European consideration.

3. BarryP

BarryP New Member

RE: USMNT Report Card [summer school

The only name I would add to your list is Landon Donovan. I know he missed the games against England and Spain but the additional spark we showed against Argentina proved his importance to me.

For me Mr Pearce gets a B+. His play was very good but some of his crossing was lacking in the early games.

4. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Before June 2010, Altidore and Adu will take all the decision-making out of Bradley's hands.

Opening match 2010 starting lineup for me

-------------- Howard ------------------------

Cherundolo --- Gooch --- Boca --- Pearce

------------ Edu -------- Bradley -----------

Dempsey ------- Donovan ---------- Adu

----------------- Altidore -------------------

6. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Obviously a long way to go, a big concern is Beasley and Convey. Two years ago that left wing was strong, now both are trying to rediscover their games from injuries (and worse Bobby is sitting behind Stephen Hunt).

Again, I know I'm in the minority on Bradley, but the fact he refuses to give Kenny Cooper the deserved shot is cause for concern. BB only picking Ching reminds me of Arena and his assistance on picking Jeff Agoos (even typing the name is painful).

7. ohio4fulham

ohio4fulham New Member

- Pearce definitely gets an "A" for me ... for me, he was our strongest player against Spain and England. He does really well at coming up the wing to join in the offense.
    - Gooch has definitely grown up a LOT since the 2006 WC when he was the big guy that couldn't control his temper. It's nice to see him playing under control and doing very well.
    - Altidore. He's just a stud ... period. His touch is good and his shot placement is even better. I can't hardly contain my excitement about this kid.
    - Adu looked good at times and just ok at others. He'd definitely got the skill, he's just lacking a bit of maturity ... which will come with time. As he grows up he'll become more and more integral to our attack ... and i'm looking forward to it.
    - Howard is a monster. When he's in goal it's just one less position you have to worry about being played well.

I know i'm probably going to get burned at the stake for saying this, but Guzan just doesn't impress me that much. I hope he does well and that he flourishes at Villa, but when I look at Howard and then look at Guzan I just see miles of distance. I'm sure it'll disappear with age and experience, but Guzan makes some really poor decisions (they don't always end up costing him) and that makes me nervous.

8. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

I've been staring at your line up for like 5 minutes Don, trying to figure out what i would do different. As of right now...I wholeheartedly agree. I would like to see Sal Zizzo improve and get himself into the picture as possibly a late game sub. The dude is a burner, and from what little I have seen from him, has been impressive. I also would like to see Robbie Rogers in the mix. He is very impressive for a young guy.

9. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

My A's are

Howard - brings meaning back to the word "AWESOME"
    Gooch - I like the tape, now the ref can see when he doesnt foul
    Adu - 3 defenders feel the need to collapse on him, the USA has a weapon
    Ching - always the warrior, always does his job
    Marvelous Wynne - I dont believe he made a mistake in the olympics

I like Don's line-up. My bench would include Wynne, Beasley, Ching (at least until the unseasoned youngsters become seasoned) Guzan, Spector.

I would also like to see Cooper or Robbie Rogers get the call instead of EJ. EJ has had his chances until he starts doing something for his club.

10. Silas

Silas New Member

--------------------Howard--------------------

Dolo------Gooch------Boca------Spector----

--------------------Bradley--------------------

Dempsey------------------------------Beasley

--------------Donovon-------Adu--------------

--------------------Altidore---------------------

Spector is my biggest doubt. I don't know if he can play left back or if he'll be healthy, but two more years as a solid starter for an EPL team (if for some strange reason Spam don't get relegated), should make him a good choice, but then again Heath Pierce is OK.

I just don't see how you don't start both Landon and Adu as attacking midfielders. Freddy will be 21, no longer coming off the bench and learning, and Bob likes Beasley so he'll keep him in the lineup. I think this lineup is the best way to utilize what our guys are good at.

11. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Silas. Close, but Adu would be the point of the diamond midfield, with Donovan as the withdrawn striker. It's a subtle difference, but Adu is more of a creative playmaker while Donovan is more of a "beat the offside trap" scorer.

12. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

Definitely like Don's line up. That looks like our best XI in a formation that maximizes their abilities