USMNT news 2018

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, Feb 26, 2018.

1. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

With Berhalter seemingly long known to be first choice, it upsets me a little that the 'search' stretched out long enough to cover the MLS season and not allow the new manager to be around for the quality time of the fall international breaks. Now he only gets one camp with MLS only players (i.e. fringe players) and one international break in March before going into June's preparation camp and the Gold Cup. I don't know who is to blame for that, but if there was really an eye on building the team and implementing a style, then he should have been there (regardless of Columbus' place in the table).

SoCalJoe, encorespanish and nevzter like this.
  2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Seems to me that they didn't want to upset the good folks of Columbus any more than they already had been.

Once again, US Soccer is too beholden to MLS for any USMNT manager to have any corporate strength.

3. astroevan

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm not placing much credence on this story. Dortmund's gaffer and board have said they're moving NOBODY this season. They're keeping everyone to ensure the strongest possible squad in their fight for Bundesliga title.

And I'm not buying a "loss of form" for the lad. Including European competitions, he's playing 90 plus every week for the last few months. What's holding him back is the amazing form of Jaden Sancho. As long as each of them plays the same type of game, the hottest guy gets the starts, and Sancho IS hotter. Pulisic is still contributing to the team. His individual stats aren't as shiny as they were last season, but he's still the real deal.

Jeez, I hope he doesn't go to Chelsea -- for obvious reasons.

5. astroevan

Apparently this is not a January (in-season) move but a summer move. The following article states that right now Pulisic is Chelsea's to lose - as long as no other team makes a better offer.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ve-according-to-journalist-raphael-honigstein

6. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

If Pulisic has indicated to Dortmund he is not planning to renew his contract the odds he will be sold this summer are HIGH. Dortmund is more likely to sell a current player and bring in more young talent with the funds received than they are to hold on to a player and try to persuade him to re-sign in in final year.

Chelsea would not be my preference for several reasons. One, they're Chelsea. Two, I question how secure Sauri's position is at Chelsea. Of course I question how secure any mangers position is under Abromovich but to agree to a move to Chelsea only to see the manger replaced over the summer could easily mean death by exile.

7. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

8. astroevan

Isn't this part of the problem at Dortmund? Favre doesn't seem to rate Pulisic as highly as Tuchel did.