USMNT January Camp Call-ups

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Clevelandmo, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Klinsmann announced them yesterday. They report today and will be training through Jan. 27th with a friendly vs Canada on Jan 29th. Nothing to really be surprised about since he can only call in MLS players or players in the middle of winter breaks in Scandinavia or Germany. I know nothing about Connor Lade, anyone have an opinion on him. The Morales call-up is controversial but not surprising between him being a product of the German system and potentially able to represent three different countries. Personally, when the kid cant make the first team of a Bundesliga 2 side, I think it's a bit unfair to give him this chance when you could call Freddy Adu, Michael Stephens, Alonso (I believe he could play for the US now, but maybe not), or other promising players in MLS.

Callups I'm psyched about - Omar, Bedoya, Davis ('bout time), Mix, Gatt, and Morrow.

The hardest part of this announcement though is the realization that we will not have Landon Donovan for the first set of WCQ, God have mercy on us.

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-N...-Roster-for-US-MNT-January-Training-Camp.aspx

2. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Happy to see Beitashour back. Really like that guy. Good looking squad all things considered.

3. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Not really sure what the point of this little exercise is. And I gotta believe that Landycakes will be there if we qualify for Brazil, which we should.

4. nevzter

Please don't call him "Landycakes." He's done far too much for this country to continuously warrant that misguided moniker. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if he ever steps on the pitch again in the USMNT squad. Lest, he probably will, at some point, when he's older and realizes...

5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Not sure why Gordon wasn't called up, since he played well when it really counted. I would be surprised if Donovan plays any football until next August when he engineers a move to Everton and he announces his retirement from Int'l football.

6. nevzter

Pretty good scenario, SCJ. Totally blanked on Gordon, jeez, as an Earthquake ticket holder I should be embarrassed, and I've now entered a shame spiral.

And, I apologize for the "cakes" comment response - didn't want to sound like a d@#$head, just personally don't like that term anymore

7. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Heather has told me multiple times, but I'm clueless how to upload a video (my own shame spiral). In lieu Nev (and since w/little ones you probably have watched every kids' movie out there) here is something that immediately came to mind upon your comment...The Cone of Shame :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R58kSuIhURI

8. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Gordon is hurt.