USMNT at Guatemala

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by SoCalJoe, Mar 25, 2016.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Won't be an easy game down there for sure (1 win and 5 draws in 6 trips). Thoughts?

2. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

But a 21 match unbeaten streak bodes well for confidence. Hopefully Klinsmann has the team ready to score. Too often we're undone by our own incompetence or lack of creativity in front of the net.

I'm not sure what to expect as far as the line-up goes, but I'm hoping to see a proper mix of young and old (and no Alvarado). I'll predict a mostly boring defensive draw.

3. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Well, that first half was a pile of good ol' USA dogshite. 45 minutes left - somebody on the squad please remember that those ugly, shitty looking shirts don't require the team to play as bad as you look. mother%#*^}#+%}%!!!!!!!!

astroevan and SoCalJoe like this.
  4. SoCalJoe

Hats off to anyone willing to put up with 45 minutes more. People thought I was cuckoo for saying we might not qualify this time around. Heartless, gutless, soulless, directionaless, joke of a performance. The single worst 45 minutes of footy in the 25 years of following the USMNT. Frankly I don't give a crap if we come out and salvage something, that idiot making 7 figures running our federation needs to grow a pair and fire the manager or we ain't going to Russia.....okay I feel better.

nevzter likes this.
  5. astroevan

I've not said anything about Klinsmann until now. It's not working. Time to quit while you're (sort of) ahead. We've never been an offensive juggernaut but at least we kept the other team down too. This is just ridiculous.

nevzter likes this.
  6. nevzter

What happens next?

7. SoCalJoe

Can we start with burning the uniforms?

8. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Fox Sport's Ryan Rosenblatt pretty much nails it. If we don't win in dominating fashion (stop snickering) Tuesday night in Columbus, the Klinsmann era should end. image.jpeg

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I thought I posted right after the match, but evidently ... I didn't.

Anyhow, the color announcer summed up our problem succinctly early in the 2nd half -- 6 of the 11 players on the pitch were playing out of position -- as compared to what they do for their own sides. I agree. The problem is ENTIRELY at the door of JK. He needs to go. We have to stop being in thrall to the accent and get someone who actually knows what he's doing.

And yet, there were legitimate chances for our goals that were swept away by a much better than average goalkeeping display. We might have come away with a draw. Crazy game.

I still think we'll qualify, but JK's formation decisions remind me of Magath putting Burn in at RB. Bob Bradley, won't you please come home.

nevzter likes this.
  10. astroevan

This article sums up a number of my thoughts. We have no consistency, players never know where they're playing (or if they're even playing) from match to match, and of course none of it is Jurgen's fault. The experimenting was fine during the post-world cup friendlies, but these are qualification matches!

http://www.espnfc.us/team/united-st...sing-and-jurgen-klinsmann-must-find-stability

I think one of the biggest thing that pisses me off about Klinsmann at this point is his egotistical and completely biased take on the squad selection. Remember when he forged a rift in the annals of US Soccer by cutting Landon Donovan and then taking Julian Green to the World Cup? Where is Green now? I'll spare you the search, he's riding the pine for the U23 team! He's not even playing.

11. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

The pisser is watching Roy Hodgson's men storm back from a 2-nil deficit to beat Germany in Berlin. Even though it was "just" a friendly, they showed some character and fortitude, and no small amount of talent, especially the youngsters. They're on the rise, for sure.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

yep, and in reality, they're not all that better than we are personnel wise.

jumpkutz likes this.
  13. astroevan

Klinsmann: "We play the best 11 that we think in that moment is the best 11," Klinsmann said. "I appreciate this discussion, when you say maybe [DeAndre] Yedlin should play right-back or Geoff Cameron should play center-back. But it would also be helpful if you look back a second to where they play with their clubs and also with their history with the U.S. national team. So I'm not playing anybody out of position."

What a pile of horse manure. Orozco has made 4 substitute appearances for his club this year and zero starts! How is he part of the best eleven? And why can't Klinsmann figure out that Yedlin is a right back? He's much more comfortable there and the position that he starts in the Premier League. Just because you've thrown him out as a wing a handful of times, doesn't make him a winger!

nevzter likes this.
  14. nevzter

At this point, the failures of the management have been magnified and a cornered animal fights back. Still, let's all hold hands and think good thoughts for tomorrow's match. Come on Columbus!!!!

To the England match comment - Hodgson celebrating the Dier header was a happy moment for me - he was so elated that he actually got out of his chair and I'd seen that look on his face while he patrolled the Fulham touchline. Damn.

encorespanish, jumpkutz and HatterDon like this.