USMNT 2016-17 World Cup Qualifying Cycle

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by jumpkutz, Aug 26, 2016.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Was ist Feuchtigkeit? :D

Google translate rules!!

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Oh, and I absolutely LOVED hearing both national anthems played on steel drums. Other late thought ... about every 20 minutes or so, HatterMom said, "We need to visit there." I think it was the hills, the sunshine, and the cricket oval.

3. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Didn't see the match but caught the scoreline (somehow, a 6-nil scoreline didn't amaze me but maybe the meds were too strong on Friday) - now get a result in the next match, in combination with a T&T stumble, and win the group. I like how Der Kommissar has brought Pulisic along with the USMNT, and always good to see the bad 'stache back in business.

Bobby Wood makes me happy. And I think his growth may pull the heartstrings (just a bit...) of a certain HD who holds a not-too-subtle fondness for another Hawaiian striker: Mr. Ching.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I do, indeed, like Bobby Wood, but it's the female Hawaiian forward that owns my heart.

nevzter likes this.
  5. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Yeah, I think it's wishful thinking. Irregular heart rate is not something you get over like a bad cold. I really hope to see Clint competing in another World Cup in 2018, and finally lifting a MLS Cup for Seattle, but I've been living with this for five years now. It isn't the end of the world, but it isn't insignificant either.

7. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

T&T have advanced and barring some craziness (US loss & Guatemala erasing a -12 GD) the US is moving to the Hex also. Besides seeing the kid get subbed in again, most looking forward to seeing Michael Bradley and whether or not he puts in a composed shift, frankly we need him this cycle and he's been MIA going on 2 years now.

encorespanish and nevzter like this.
  8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Just finished watching all but the last minute & a half plus injury time [I really must remember that Fox Sports doesn't care about lineups or timetables] and I'm pretty impressed. TNT isn't a bad side, but we whupped them good.

Highlights: (1) Johnson -- back playing "out of position" at left back looked solid on both sides of the ball (2) Gonzo -- excellent CB play; the way I always pictured him playing for the USMNT (3) Jozy -- using his strength and size for a change and, once he had two goals under his belt, actually looking like he's the guy to lead the line. (3) Sacha -- It's obvious that throughout the camp he never allowed himself to get more than 30 feet from Pulisic. If his international career has been revived, it's all down to a 17 year old kid. (4) The Subs -- filled with aggression and NOT shy in the least.

Disappointments -- (1) Bradley -- who else. As Matt said the other day over some very good Mexican beer, he's just not the player he was since he left Italy. (2) Bobby Wood. He really didn't do anything wrong out there, but after 60 some minutes of activity, it only took 5 minutes of Jordan Morris to make me go, "Oh, that's the job he was supposed to be doing."

MOtM: You know, I really like to be the one to say that "the next phenom" is really just a good player and isn't really anything all that special, but Christian Pulisic IS all that special and the fact that EVERYONE on the pitch looked to him to turn defense into attack for 90 minutes is testimony to the fact that he's the real thing. I thought that JK was an idiot to give a 17-year-old the #10 shirt in a World Cup qualifier, but I was wrong. That boy can flat play.

9. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Hatter gets my vote quote for the day and I couldn't agree more. We've been asking for a while now where the next generation is and I think Klinsman has introduced a good bit of it with Pulisic leading the charge. Add to him Brooks, Yedlin, Wood and Morris and that is not a bad core to build around. Now Klinsman needs to find someone to push Bradley.

Jozy looked like a force last night. I just hope he can finally stay healthy.

encorespanish and nevzter like this.
  10. jumpkutz

Time will tell, but Pulisic does, indeed, appear to be the real deal. He was pretty much the catalyst for everything we did right offensively. I'm praying that Jozy's pre-match stretches keep him from pulling any more hammys.

nevzter likes this.
  11. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

The allure of delicious poutine fries is too much for Bradley to depart the great North - dude now resembles somebody that I used to know. Look back at that Slovenia goal - he's a shell of that player right now. But all is not lost yet, I have faith he gets his bollocks up for this Hex

12. jumpkutz

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Damn, indeed. When I developed my own "rhythm problem," it took about a year and three "procedures" to get me back on rhythm. Once there and with the help of a delicate balance of drugs, I remained in rhythm [and great pulse and BP] for almost four years. And then, suddenly -- as in overnight -- I fell out of rhythm again. It looks likely that I'll stay arhythmic forever. The goal with me is now keeping my average pulse rate below 90 [I was resting at 50-65 during that four year period.]. There's no benefit in forcing me back in rhythm at my age.

Now I was 64 when this hit me and I have never been in the shape Clint Dempsey was or is. The thing is that when you're out of rhythm, you get tired MUCH easier. The days of Clint playing like Clint are over unless he can get his heart back in rhythm and the docs can keep it there for the duration of his career. Even if they do, it depends also on just how damaged his heart got before the docs got hold of him.

Me? I'm 70 in a month and a half, and I'm still doing everything I was doing at 60. There was NOTHING I was doing then that involed any stress on the heart that running brings.

SoCalJoe and BarryWhite like this.
  14. jumpkutz

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

With no matches for 'boro, Brad is going to have a tough time getting the gloves back for the USA. I guess Timmy might just be resurrected.

16. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

No Jones. No Beckerman. Time to start the Kitchen / Williams era!

jumpkutz likes this.
  17. jumpkutz

I wouldn't read too much into that Evan. Never a fan of Beckerman, but Jones is somewhat of an enigma for me. When he's healthy, he's an X factor type of player. When not, he's excess baggage. My problem with both of them is that their talent doesn't overcome their age. I suspect we'll see one, if not both of them in the Hex side, especially Jones. Beckerman's a long shot for me, but perhaps not in the mind of Klinsmann. I just think they'll be too old come time for Russia. We shall see, I suppose. I'm still hoping against hope that Deuce will miraculously recover from his irregular heartbeat problems, but I'm not holding my breath.

18. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

I'm not reading too much into it. I fully expect both the elder statesmen to be on the next roster announcement. I'm just glad that JK is looking ahead (to some extent). And the more these guys play together, the better the team will be.