USA World Cup/ Confederation Cup draws.

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Fulhamburger, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Jensers

Jensers New Member

That whole article is terrible.

Is he saying that we are moving the venue in an effort to get something in return (using the word 'trade')?
    Why would you call Ohio 'friendly' and imply that SLC is NOT 'friendly.' If he meant 'familiar,' then use that word. I would be pissed if I was SLC - he just crapped all over them.

It does get cold in the mountains of Mexico too you know... More than the weather - it is the Altitude that is the real concern, and USSoccer will level the playing field by moving our boys home field to altitude. (Petty made this point earlier)
    ALSO - 'cool' down the Mexico attack? Their Attack is pure crap as of late. They dont need cooling down - what a stupid thing to say.

'Chilly' Way to do your homework!

AHHHHHH!!! This really upsets me!

2. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

I assume the writer's intention is unfamiliarity of SLC versus familiarity of Columbus. Agree, the article is poorly done. I still am not in any way taking any of this talk about the match here in SLC as anything but a bunch of banter. Call me Thomas all you want, but I will not believe until I see for mine own eyes. Having said that... please please please please please...

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Oh, and it was me and not Pettyfog who was concerned that the altitude in SLC might even be an advantage to Mexico. But don't worry, Jensers, he and I are so much alike it's really hard to tell us apart! :3d laughing: :3d funny: :3d smile:

4. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Yeah - I think I have seen the show: "The Odd Couple." :)

5. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

"Average temperature is chilly."

Dick,...your fired!

6. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Oh shit, I just realized it's my girl Canales.

aaaaaaaaaah, ha-ha-ha-ha, aaaaaaaaaaah, ha-ha-ha-ha......

Cupid stunt.

7. Jensers

Jensers New Member

You have a history with Ms. Canales?

8. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Besides questioning his honesty and general integrity I think she even called him a few names all in a published article :wow:

I was just hopin for something in Seattle, if its the Mexico game I'll be over the moon! There's no ferry service to Salt Lake though I'm afraid...

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Christian has resumed his previous secret identify. Hmmmm.

10. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Oh my. Did not notice. Ominous??

11. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

My main point is that we have never gotten 50,000+ USA fans to attend a USMNT game (caveat: it might have happened in the '94 World Cup). We have a diehard fanbase, but it is too geographically distributed to bring those numbers to any single location.

SLC should do pretty well. With the high number of returned Mormon Missionaries, the non-hispanic portion of the population has a higher rate of soccer savvy than the national average. As an example, a friend of mine served his mission in Italy and was teaching a member of the Parma board - got to go to the Parma-Juve game; he's loved soccer ever since.

12. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Well - I suppose my counter to that point is:

How do we know that we CANT get 50 thousand+ USA fans in a single venue?

We dont play in venues large enough to make it so that 50 thousand+ could get tickets before the Mexican, Italian, English, Spanish, Brazilian, etc... Get their share of the tickets when you are talking about an open ticket purchase system.

I dont see any evidence to suggest it couldnt be done. I only see evidence that we have not made it possible - and perhaps USSoccer has not really tried to make it possible for 50,000+ USA fans to get moved to the front of the ticket line.

13. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, Crew stadium's concessionaire has issued a recruiting call.

Does not mean it's in concrete, just that CCS is still in running.

And btw, the 05 WCQ was held in nice weather. Another comment on Canales (and several others) veracity.

And, Jensers...you are ignoring any history you dont find convenient.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

It seems to me that the two largest venues where soccer has been played in the United States are the LA Coliseum and the Rose Bowl -- both larger than Seattle's seating capacity. But crowds there for USA-Mexico games would be difficult to measure in terms of "USA Soccer fans."

15. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

eh.. Cheer up Jensers. Seattle just signed Sigi.
    Take a tip from him.. see how cheery he is?

Wonder why the long face. Is it 'Oh, crap.. what have I done?'

Whatever... he did the job in Columbus, he'll do the job in Seattle. IF the management lets him.

16. Jensers

Jensers New Member

No - I am ignoring history that is not relevant.

You have no data to suggest that we couldnt put 50,000+ USA fans in Seattle

AND

You have no data to suggest that we couldnt put 50,000+ USA fans in a venue if the sale of tickets where controlled in a way that excluded the fans from the opposition from attending.

Can you show me some?

To solve this problem USSoccer's answer has been to hold the match in a place with limited attendance that is both difficult for Mexicans to get their hands on tickets, and inconvenient for Mexicans to attend.

That is Stupid... Not the excluding of Mexicans at the USA-Mexico match, but the small venue and the limited attendance.

Why cant we have our own Azteca Stadium?

17. Jensers

Jensers New Member

I would think that they will give him the shot. With no relegation - the 5 year grace period seems to be fairly standard.

18. BarryP

BarryP New Member

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Now, if we can just get the US to wear YELLOW!

20. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

We ain't yeller..........