USA World Cup/ Confederation Cup draws.

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Fulhamburger, Nov 22, 2008.

1. BarryP

BarryP New Member

RE: HEX!

Where would it be played in Seattle? Not on artificial turf I hope.

2. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Ives went on about this today:

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_i ... -west.html

Columbus is a very solid local and I'd hope it was first choice. The Crew should've earned the right for the city to host this match in my opinion.

But, if it's moved out west, I'm going to attend my first US v. Mex match in Seattle...or maybe SLC too (Park City snow is fantastic in February and Mrs. Nevzter and I can play shuffleboard at the No Name Saloon in the meantime.)

Apparently, real grass is used in Seattle and not the imitation stuff for soccer [as if we didn't know that already :) ].

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Well, I dont think Columbus 'deserves' it on the basis of their team success. The reason Cols is a good venue is their record in giving US 'Home Field'.
    In 2001, the 'freezer match: 2-0 [​IMG]

In '05, good weather but seat assignments to keep Mexican fans distributed in the crowd, also 2-0
    [​IMG]
    - We... Mex and Sam fans.... had a good time bantering, too. VERY SUCCESSFUL.

I find it amazing some US fans STILL think that the US needs to play where they can sell more seats.
    2001 established that US - Mexico will be played at a loss if need be to make it a 'Home Match'
    Dublin OH HS has a very nice 'built for soccer' pitch, seats 2000 or so...

In case you STILL dont get it, NO WAY play this in a 50,000 seat stadium... no matter WHERE. It's too freakin hard to manage the ticket sales.

4. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

i saw the report that the guy from ESPN Deportes said the qualifier against Mexico would be in either Seattle or SLC. I am not holding out any hope that it will be here in Salt Lake, but my fingers are crossed and the brick is ready to fly out of my ass if it is. :)

5. pettyfog

And guess which venue the Mexico fans are hoping for..

hint: I just told you all, above.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, if it's Seattle or SLC, let's go for Seattle. Sorry, doggie, but the higher altitude in your neck o' the woods may actually be a benefit for them.

7. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

also Don, there is a large contigent of Mexicans living in the Salt Lake area so I think that is a disadvantage for holding it here. Still holding out hope though.

8. pettyfog

re: USA-Mex

Please guys... understand we will never play Mex in a large US stadium. Until we get enough SURE US fan ticket sales to counter the flood of mexican orders.
    Seat sales management is the key.
    That is also why mexican pop doesnt matter if Rio Tinto is selected. The key is ticket management.
    From Goff:
    And that's why I didnt believe the ESPN rumor.. they had Seattle as an option. It makes no sense.

9. Jensers

Jensers New Member

RE: re: USA-Mex

Whatever... I call BS.

Who is to say we cant put 50-60 thousand USA fans in Seattle? Maybe this is the mother of all home venues.

I think this is just more spin from east coast football snobs - of which Gulati is a prime example.

10. BarryP

BarryP New Member

For selfish reasons I would like for it to be in Columbus.

11. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I think they could get 40,000 US fans if they would ever Market or advertise the match. Anyone agree?

Come to Cleveland baby I'll set you up. I already wrote our semi-retarded mayor (I'm being generous) and asked him to be proactive (damn should have defined that word). I'm actually kidding, he might be responsive.

12. pettyfog

Re: RE: re: USA-Mex

You MAY have a point... here's a guy who agrees with you

If the Sounders ST holders get first crack AND the rest distribute evenly, that would work out to less than 50% Mexican fans. Then need to seat them dispersed.

But if it was East Coast snobs that wouldnt explain SLC being a prime candidate. Of course US just MAY be waiting for Mex to complain... then they can say "Well, how about playing somewhere other than Azteca?"

The point is obviously to irritate Mexico as much as possible.

13. Jensers

Jensers New Member

RE: Re: RE: re: USA-Mex

Realistically speaking - If it were to come to Seattle and they sold the tickets thru the Sounders...

I would think you could put at least 30,000 'Washington local' (Meaning The Washington, Portland area - basically anywhere that you could drive in, see the match, drive home) USA fans in the stadium.

Yes - many of them would be pre-teen and teenage girls and their clueless parents, but they would be US fans all the same. Then - sell another 10-15 thousand thru the USSoccer website, and that leaves 15 thousand for general release.

Seems like you could work thru registered supporters groups or something to get the issue of ticket management sorted out. Surely we are not the only country that faces this issue and I am sure there are models out there for sorting it out.

14. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

We've never gotten 50-60 thousand USA fans at a game....ever.

Giant's stadium was packed with almost 80,000 for the USA-Argentina game, but even there, most of the fans there supporting the USA were at the game to see Argentina.

15. Jensers

Jensers New Member

From USSoccer.com:
    "The last USA vs. Mexico match at Reliant Stadium drew a passionate sellout crowd of 69,582 fans on May 8, 2003 and remains the largest home crowd for the U.S. Men’s National Team this decade."

Wiki:
    "On February 6, 2008, USA-Mexico was held at Reliant Stadium to an over-capacity crowd. The last USA vs. Mexico match in Reliant Stadium drew sellout crowd of 69,582 fans on May 8, 2003 and is the largest home crowd for the U.S. Men's National Team this decade."

So that would be 70,000+ total USA/Mexico fans last Feb. I was not at the match, but I did watch the match on a Spanish language TV - at a Mexican household. Even with that kind of bias in the reporting of the match, it appeared that the crowd was evenly distributed - perhaps even pro US.

We may not have put 50-60 thousand USA fans at one match, but you would be talking 35,000+ for each of the Houston matches. I dont buy the idea that picking up another 15,000 would be a problem if you could manage the ticket sales.

Putting 60,000 fans in Seattle will be a no-brainer. Making sure the crowd is there to support the USA? That is a question left to smarter people.

We sold out Quest for the Mexico-CHina Friendly... I was there and - trust me - if we dont sort out how to organize ticket sales - there will be 60,000 Mexicans there.

I dont know if you are implying that we could not muster the 50-60 thousand USA fans, but if you are - I think you are full of it.

The right stadium, with the right ticket management and promotion - you will fill it. The idea that the US doesnt give a shit about the MNT is bogus... Its an old idea that continues to perpetuate itself by advertisers, suits, and ESPN'ites who are in love with the idea that they are 'quirky' because they are a soccer supporter. It may make good commercials to portray us as the down and out little guy, but the reality is that we are the greatest force in Concacaf, and we are - as Sam's Army - stronger than anyone realizes.

16. CarolinaTim

CarolinaTim New Member

Well written, Jens. We, in the futbal community, just have to keep pecking at that "berlin wall" of ignorance, and, you never know, one day it might just fall down.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

andypalmer did specify "USA fans." I think you'll find the majority of the folks at Reliant were fans of Mexico. What you don't realize here is that sports bars will advertize Mexico matches on their marquees, but NOT USA matches. Any match down in this part of the USA will be a road match for the USMT. Now back in the day when USSF was just wanting revenue it made sense to play Mexico in LA, Ireland in Boston, and El Salvado in NYC. If what we're after is creating a rabid pit to intimidate foreign teams, then we have to change things up. Play Mexico in Columbus in February. Play England in Reliant etc.

18. Jensers

Jensers New Member

I caught the 'USA fans' qualifier, but it wasnt clear if he is implying that there are not 50-60 thousand USA fans that would attend a match anyway.

19. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Looks like SLC is the leading choice anyway...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/s ... index.html

Some fine journalism:
    "The temperatures at Rio Tinto aren't expected to be welcoming to the southern neighbors of the U.S., either. The average for February is chilly."

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

SI's meterologist went to the "lick your finger and hold it up in the wind" school of reportage.