USA vs. Spain

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by timmyg, Jun 1, 2008.

1. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

Well much, much, much better effort all around. It's a shame that Freddy got hurt, because he was by far our best attacking player in the 1st half. He created chances for himself and others and was the catalyst for our scoring chances. Frankly, Deuce was not nearly as effective in that role in the 2nd half. But overall, much better effort and energy. I liked Edu. Bradley look poor again in my opinion. Not really sure why Boca and Gooch were close enough to each other to slow dance on the goal. But result aside, we looked as though we belonged on the same pitch with Spain. Progress! Let's see if we can build on it and get some kind of result against Argentina.

On a Fulham note, our boys didn't look good. EJ made great runs, but ultimately he has a poor first and last touch. No good for the US or Fulham. Deuce looked lazy again. WTF man? Let's not get too cocky just because we had a decent season in the Premier League. Lets hope he's just tired.

here's a line up I'd like to see at some point:

------------------------Howard--------------------------
    ---Cherundolo-----Boca----Gooch-------Beasley-----
    --------------Bradley----------------Edu----------------
    -----Donovan-----------Adu------------Dempsey-----
    --------------------------Altidore------------------------

Beaz and Deuce working the overlap sounds pretty good to me

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Finally finished watching the match on DVR. Not that it matters much, but I thought we played very well. Details:

1. We have our first choice back four -- the guys who started. I thought Gooch and Boca played great throughout -- Gooch especially broke up attack after attack. I don't even fault them for the goal. It took a brilliant pass from Fabregas and some individual perfection to get the goal. Besides, I don't believe every goal against has to be somebody's fault. Perhaps some of you guys are seeing what I saw in Pearce last summer when I was pimping him. And 'dolo plays a good foot taller than he actually is.

2. Adu MUST start. I'd love to see him with Johnson and Donovan on the field. We were always creative and dangerous with him on the pitch. That through ball to Johnson towards the end of the 1st half was incredible.

3. Aside from Adu, our midfield was our weak point. Deuce wasn't good, and every time he roused himself to win a ball, a foul was called. Bradley was out of position constantly. Lewis played well in the first half and disappeared completely in the second. Edu played a good forward sweeper, but didn't seem to do much linking.

4. I thought Johnson had a very good match. He held the ball well, and was the only player who consistently stretched the Spanish defense. He lost a lot of balls, primarily those he received a foot from the touchline surrounded by three defenders. He really needs another attacker. I think that in a 4-2-3-1 with Donovan, Adu, and Beasley as the three, he could cause some serious shit.

5. It'll be nice when Beasley gets his fitness back. Not quite sure why Bradley didn't substitute Lewis out sooner so that Beas could play on the left wing.

6. Guzan is READY FOR PRIME TIME! Sorry, MLS, he needs to play for Villa.

About our opponents: it must be nice to have players who make their living at Arsenal, Liverpool, Real, Barca, etc. to call on. The Spaniards play pretty football, but they've always underperformed in tourneys. I don't see them doing much in EURO 2008.

Let's see if Donovan is fit to play against Argentina. If he is, let's give Deuce the day off.

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

It's not a summary of the match, which compared to England was a great outing for Our Men, but Gooch, that was ugly.

4. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Much better overall display than was shown in the previous debacle...and how did EJ miss on Lewis' cross?

5. BarryP

BarryP New Member

The positives:

Adu must be on the pitch. He is simply our most creative player and I believe he and Donovan can be a very good duo.

Edu put himself about nicely and with some seasoning will partner nicely as a defensive midfielder.

Pearce is nailing down the left back slot although I would like for him not to go to ground so quickly.

Gooch did get beat on the lone score of the game but he did have a strong match and was far more effective than Bocanegra.

The ok:

Johnson did seem to have a good connection with Adu but that shot has got to get better and he should have put the header on goal at least.

Eddie Lewis was solid and did put in a beautiful cross.

Hejduk/Dolo - I am not as convinced as Don that this spot is settled. I like Chrundolo but Hejduk is flowing nicely and pressing up into dangerous positions.

The not so good:

Bradley looked unsettled.

Demps/Boca/Beasley all were ineffective against both England and Spain.

6. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

The highlight for me was Johnson. I thought it was his best game in ages. Adu was also good.

7. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Good summary, Barry.

Agree Adu is a creative player who needs to be in there from now on. Forget about the pencil, use a Sharpie.

The backline looks set, and I think Don can take some solace in the fact that his boy, Pearce, has what is needed. I still think 'Dolo is #1 at his spot, as is Boca. I am not convinced that Onyewu should have his position locked down, but I doubt Bob would start anyone else there. And, as pointed out, besides that blunder with Xavi, he played decently. Still, partly because of his size, Gooch sticks out like a sore thumb when these plays happen to him, which they inevitably do.

8. jmh

jmh New Member

I definitely agree with Cherundolo as #1 for the right back spot. I love the energy that Hejduk brings, but I don't think he would've run up and down the field so much if he hadn't been fresher than everyone else when he came on, and while he gets into dangerous positions, he doesn't usually seem to do much with the ball once he gets into them.

I might've been too harsh about the Grown-Ass Man in my initial assessment. While I still think he should've made Casillas work on the header off Lewis' cross, he did hold the ball up pretty well, showed his pace well by beating Puyol (who is very quick for a center back) on one of Adu's balls over the top, and put the one ball past Casillas on a very close offsides that wasn't whistled until after the play was over.

I've heard crazier ideas than Beasley as a left back; he tracks back to defend very well, though obviously he doesn't bring any aerial presence.

Dempsey did look disinterested, he seems to get frustrated when he thinks he's getting fouled without calls.

While it's tempting to fault our defense for the goal, it was really one breakdown due to a great play by a world-class player in an otherwise well-played match, especially by Gooch I thought.

9. Silas

Silas New Member

I think there are a couple things to take way:

1. Obviously you guys have said it, PLAY FREDDY! He looked great, and he played Eddie Johnson the only kind of balls I feel he is effective on, through balls and long balls where he can use his blazing speed. I can't wait to see a game where Freddy and Landon are playing with each other.

2. Like I said, give Eddie Johnson long balls and through balls because those were the only times he was truly effective. He's not like Xavi, he can't take a good pass from Freddy (or Fabregas as the case was), and then make an unbelievable touch to give himself an opportunity. I think 90% of his chances will come from him outsprinting everyone on a long ball/through ball. I really hope that Jozy will solve our problems, but I don't know.

3. No more Josh Wolff, seriously, why did he play?

4. I'm willing to say, bench Dempsey for a game or two, he really looks like he thinks he's more than good enough, but certainly doesn't show it.

Overall I thought we played way better than the England game, in the first half. We obviously got gassed near the end, and we didn't have Freddy, both of which contributed to our loss. If we can improve our fitness and play a game with everyone healthy, we could certainly win a rematch.

10. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

The coach had better figure out a way to have Adu and Donovan (when both are healthy) on the pitch at the same time and if he can't he needs to be fired, period. A defender's life is tough, and no question that Xavi made a world-class move, but there's no excuse for Gooch to fall for an inside move when Boca is right there.

Watched the Mexico-Argentina match (played in San Diego) and I have to say that Argentina looked amazing in thrashing El Tri 4-1. Can't see any other result from the Meadowlands than a butt-whoopin' given to our boys.

11. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Could not agree more. Made Gooch look like an amateur.

12. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Yes - Gooch made a blunder. Of course it was after a pair of blunders that should have stopped the movement, but he was the last man and he failed to move his feet.

To me - he looked tired and didnt have it in the legs to make the lateral move he needed to close him down take away the space. He made an effort, but the legs didnt follow - got caught under him - so he tried to jump in to recover... And buh-bye.

World class defenders dont make that mistake often. Gooch does. We all know he is weak if you attack his feet - Add the fact that he worked hard and fatigue was setting in... It was bound to happen, you could see it coming from a mile away - I called the goal when Xavi still had 3 guys to beat.

Regardless - yes we played better, but Spain didnt play all that well either. First half we looked respectable I thought. It was quite dull, but at least we were keeping possession for the most part, and there were a few dangerous moves.

Second half started OK - but as has been said - Demps, Bradley, and Beas did not look good which bothers me.

I dont know... I was hoping we were making strides, but I think it is closer to baby steps - but that is ok I suppose. Just have to re-define my expectations.

13. jmh

jmh New Member

I mean... sometimes a better player makes a worse player look bad. It happens. Gooch looked bad on that play. Xavi has burnt better players than Gooch in the past.

14. Jensers

Jensers New Member

True.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm reminded of season before last when Man U visited East London. Our boy Spector was playing RB and, in the space of 10 minutes took the ball of the toes of first Ronaldo and then Rooney. For most of the first half, he made THEM look like untried Americans. That certainly didn't lead me to think he was better tha either of them, and I'm sure it didn't make Ferguson sorry he offloaded the kid.

The point is that Xavi got that goal from a 10 second burst of brilliance. Maybe Gooch could have done something about it. Also, maybe any of the 8-10 good interventions he had before then might have turned into goals had he not been putting himself about so effeciently. You never know. On this one particular occasion, the goal was all about Xavi good as opposed to Gooch bad -- unless you subscribe to the theory that all goals are mistakes. And that's fine too, but it leads to a lifetime of frustration when none of your defenders can be perfect game after game.

16. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Myself - I dont see it as a brilliant individual play. Bradley put in a soft effort, and then Boca and Gooch had a breakdown as a unit, and on top of that, Gooch was too slow to see it coming or react to a bad situation.

He had plenty of time to move his feet and put Xavi in Boca's direction for help, but he got caught napping.

Understand that I dont think he would make this mistake in the first 35 minutes. My take is that he was physically and mentally tired. He didnt expect Bradley to get beat and when he did - he didnt react.

It was far too easy for Xavi tho. He just had to out-hustle Bradley, and it was only a drop of the shoulder to beat Gooch. After that he was almost at the penalty mark...

But I can see what you are saying. That is a much more positive way of looking at it and you may be right.

17. jmh

jmh New Member

Well, reasonable minds certainly can differ. I saw it as a really good first touch to turn and face goal, a fake to the inside and cut to the outside that fooled Gooch, and a finish with Hejduk practically hanging on his shoulder. *shrug*