USA v. Spain Confed Cup

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, Jun 22, 2009.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Interesting to have a tour of the British FFC sites. The Brits there are very complimentary to our side -- especially Deuce, of course -- but also comparing us often to Fulham in how we take care of defense, look for the break out, and keep our shape and discipline.

I also read a couple of English match reports who make it sound as if we were definitely the better team on the day. Evidently the BBC studio crew had Deuce as the Man of the Match for the first half.

What IS Harkes's problem?

2. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

What a day. I'm so glad I left work early to catch the game. They were good in the back and took what they were given up front. I can't wait to head back to the bar on Sunday for the FINAL.

3. FulhamNorthwestUSA

FulhamNorthwestUSA New Member

Harkes is jealous, seriously. He considers himself in the same class as Dempsey but he's not! Dempsey has a better goals per match by far. Dempsey (55 apps)15 goals- Harkes (90 apps) 6 goals, not even in the same league! Demps may score thirty goals if he makes that many caps!! Swallow it Harkes!

4. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

5. LaxAttack

I think this is when Bradley got his "red" card.

Weak.

[​IMG]

6. LaxAttack

And one final photo of Dempsey's goal.

[​IMG]

7. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

I think that was you,.....punk.

8. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

The weakest. Straight red is total bullshit on that, but you can't beat "The #1 in the World" without some collateral damage,...I guess.

Fuck it. We WOOOOOONNNN!!!! 2-0!!!!!

9. LaxAttack

10. EricD

EricD New Member

Extremely happy with the effort today.
    Play with heart, effort and intensity, and the fans will always be appreciative.
    Benny needs to be in the starting lineup.
    LD is having a nice tournament
    Nice to see Boca back
    Nice strength display Jozy
    Way to be there Deuce
    Our D is playing well - Gooch's stock is rising
    Lame red - maybe a yellow - he was carrying a yellow, so he would miss the final. Investigate the US hating ref.

11. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I will gladly eat my crow and say that was most certainly me. WOW what a performance the team put in today! We were not the prettiest or most fluid team on the pitch but we did what matters and put the ball in the goal more than Spain did.

Gooch, Spector, Bradley and Clark were outstanding today defensively. Demerit, however, was close to perfection. He really didn't need to exchange shirts at the end of the match because he was inside the shirt of Torres and Villa the whole match.

I think all you complaining about Harkes are looking at this from the wrong point of view. We all know he is an idiot but I hope he keeps picking the chip up and sitting it on Dempsey's shoulder. Go ahead and keep running you mouth Harkes because the only persons credibility that is going down is yours. Say what you want but Dempsey makes things happen whereever he plays.

Lets not forget our newly minted strike pair either. Davies and Jozy worked hard and really bothered the back four. Jozy is turning into a monster and Davies never quits running. Both have room for improvement but I would take these two and let them grow together. With Duece and Landon for support I think better things are about to happen up front.

Speaking of good things about to happen how about Benny's composure on the ball today. The move to set Landon up for the cross to Duece was a thing of beauty. In his limited minutes on the pitch he sent the Spanish defenders the wrong direction more than once today. While I am not happy about the weak red card on Bradley I am looking forward to seeing Benny run the attack in the finals.

Finally, no matter what happens in the finals Landon Donovan is my man of the tournament. He has played with more heart, hustle and grit than anyone else.

12. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

The legend of teddy roosevelt and the rough riders live!!!

Like Turkey at last year's Euros, the USA catch lighting in a bottle at the most opportune time. And what a result. Wow.

Bill Simmons often writes about the "Nobody believed in us!" factor and how important it is in (American) sports psyche. Well, here's another example of that.

USA! USA! USA!

13. Lyle

Lyle New Member

The USA is the Fulham of international football. Both teams have a Dempsey on them, both pull off 2-0 shockers against the best team in the world. USA won't ever win the World Cup just like Fulham won't ever win the Premier League (okay, U.S. chances are a little better than Fulham's but you know what I'm saying).

... and yes, it was San Juan Hill all over again for Spain today.

14. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

Amazing. I would never say this lightly:

I think this is the best win by any team I have ever rooted for. Just stunning.

The Bradley "red card" that shouldn't even have been yellow takes the jelly out of my doughnut a liiiiiiiittle, but it's still amazing.

And I agree, Harkes was terrible, but we're being a little hard on JP, I think.

15. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

P.S. I think we're officially allowed to cheer "dos a cero" at Spain now. :D

16. LaxAttack

Just watched the replay. I liked after both goals, you could hear Harkes trying to cheer away from the mic, but you could still hear a faint "wooohoooo".

17. sullytex

sullytex Member

Re: RE: Re: USA v. Spain Confed Cup

D'oh! What a beautiful way to be proven wrong.

Great peformance! This is the type of perfomance I love to see. Grit, determination, hustle, mixed in with some damn fine football. The exact opposite of the Brazil and a lot of the Italy game. Solid game by all. The red card was so weak. I feel bad for Bradley.

Oh yeah....I bet with my heart and give predictions with my head (I think you are supposed to do the opposite).

Laid a tenner on the good 'ole USA to win with 9 to 1 odds just minutes before kickoff.

Whoo Hoo! :banana:

18. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Overwhelmed by the win and loved the tenacious play out of the entire side. It was the best US match I've ever seen. (2002 vs. Portugal is up there too) Bradley's also figured out that if you play Dempsey as a striker he has the ability to score. Glad he's caught on. How about Spector and DeMerit as well? They've been a revelation in that backline.

The straight red to Michael Bradley was a joke. How could anyone be sent off for a tackle that lacked any malice? It's a shame that the US' most influential player is going to miss the final.

19. sullytex

sullytex Member

Watched the game on BBC3. Lots of respect given to the USA by the commentators. The overall opinion was the US went toe to toe with Spain, the game could have gone either way, but it was the US that converted their chances. Demps and Bradley were singled out quite a bit for their performance. Demerrit and Howard as well.

The lads in the pub (I had my jersey on just in case they couldn't tell I was American when I opened my mouth, and once Jozy scored, I removed all doubt) were congratulatory on a game well played. I think they were also just happy somebody stuck it to Spain.

20. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

can the U.S. appeal the red card and have it reduced to nothing?