USA v. Spain Confed Cup

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, Jun 22, 2009.

1. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Today's starting lineup (4-4-2): Howard; Spector, Onyewu, DeMerit, Bocanegra; Donovan, Clark, Bradley, Dempsey; Davies, Altidore

They are tying Boca at LB.

2. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

And #@$% me:

Today's referee is Jorge Larrionda. He's the same referee who issued red cards to Pablo Mastroeni and Eddie Pope in the U.S. team's 1-1 World Cup draw vs. Italy.

Rico Clark goes back into the "Red Pool" for me.

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Thanks Lax for the update on Boca. It's worth a try, but hope his hammy is near 100% because you know they are going to test him.

4. terrinh73

terrinh73 Member

Anyone have the feed of the game? I am nowhere near a television (stupid, stupid summer school!)...

I can teach and still keep up with the match, right ;)?

5. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

http://atdhe.net/

They keep changing, but its better than nothing...

6. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

1-0 at the half and we have played some good football. Gooch has been a ROCK in the back. I want MB on Fulham right now! Do not get in that mans way when he flies in to a tackle...you'll leave with stud marks all the way up your leg. Donovan has been everywhere and major props on that goal by the Joze for standing that defender up. What a man child. Come on USA!!!

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

At the half, the score is Spain "Skillfull," The United States "Lucky." What an asshole Harkes has turned out to be.

We're playing very well. Davies has been The Bomb, and Gooch has been letter perfect. Landon doing well [what yellow card], Deuce with the assist, Cheesehead partnering well with Gooch, and it's nice to see the captain back.

Real score at the half: Spain 0 USA 1 [Jozy!]

8. nevzter

DDDDDDDEEEEEEEEEEUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEE!

9. Jensers

Jensers New Member

What a crap red card!

Hey - here is a tactical change that makes sense - Bornstien for Demps when you are down a man.

10. Jensers

Jensers New Member

I mean honestly - we are not allowed to tackle anymore? What the hell is going on with FIFA?

11. nevzter

I haven't seen the call, but it's the same asshole from '06 - so you had to expect one here.

Eff 'em - we won!!!!!!!!

12. Jensers

Jensers New Member

USA Wins! Holy Crap!

13. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Demerit was a BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAST!!!!! We may have found our back 4. Boca on the left, Demerit partnering Gooch. pissed about the red card. pull your whistle out of your asshole ref! Looking forward to Sunday

14. articbob

articbob Member

Wow. Simply wow. You don't have to be the best in the world, you just have to be the best on the field. Today that was the U.S. What a gusty performance. GO forth USA and bring home some silverware.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I didn't even think it was a yellow. Clark's was a yellow and Sacha's was a red, but Bradley's wasn't even a card. He came in from the front, his studs weren't showing his feet were on the deck and he went after the ball.

Doggie is right. This is the best back four I've seen in a while, and Timmy is a god. I think it's time to put this "Donovan doesn't show up in the big games" crap to rest. Davies and Demerit did themselves a HUGE favor in this tourney as did Feilhaber. And what about lazy, slow, lucky Deuce?

Speaking of which, I have been talking with HatterMom about trying the RosettaStone Spanish program for a while now, and we're definitely going to do it. I've got 12 months to rebuild the fluency I had when I was 6 or 7 [stupid Texas law barring speaking spanish on state property turned me mono-lingual by the time I was 10]. There's no way I'm going to put up with Dellacamera's cluelessness and Harkes's constant droning on about how poorly the Americans [with the exception of Donovan and Feilhaber] were playing. There we are, a goal up on the #1 team in the world, and the American announcer [Harkes] can't say anything even neutral about the American team. Deuce's assist was luck. Deuce's goal was luck. Fuck Harkes and fuck ESPN. It's my plan to watch only the Spanish language broadcasts for SA 2010.

Finally, WHO DAT SAY WE CAN'T BEAT SPAIN? WHO DAT?

16. IanHux

IanHux New Member

I totally had a feeling this would happen..... but ah screw it!!! All the credit goes to the boys on the field. Un-freaking-believable! And if I ever meet that ref in person, he will get a knee to the groin without a doubt.

17. FulhamNorthwestUSA

FulhamNorthwestUSA New Member

USA! USA! USA! Go Altidore! Go Dempsey! Dempsey should make John Harkes eat his underwear!!!!! F Harkes he is a piece of crap, he is jealous of Dempseys goal scoring record and it shows. Take him off of espn please! Best win in recent memory in my opinion!

18. FulhamNorthwestUSA

FulhamNorthwestUSA New Member

Oh Yah and the ref is another story.... What is up with the Red card on Bradley!

19. DawgTheDon

DawgTheDon New Member

What a win. An hour later and I still have goosebumps. And yes, Harkes must go. What a disgrace.

We won because we played like champions today.

20. CarolinaTim

CarolinaTim New Member

Take that Espana. What a result for the USA!!!!!! The back 4 were a brickhouse, they were mighty, mighty, and lettin' it all hang out.
    The midfield and forwards all did their jobs to perfection. Deuce sets up the first goal with one of his patented little flicks, and is at the right place at the right time(one of the most important attributes of a futballer) to score the second.
    We played as a team. We played with heart, hustle, and grit. One of the best performances EVER by the USA.
    I think Coach Bradley deserves credit for a good game plan, having the boys at the right emotional level, and tactics except maybe for the Casey move.
    Finally as I predicted in the 4th post of this thread, if we slide-tackle in an international match, red cards wil be seen. THIS IS TOTAL BS. We did a good job of staying on our feet in this match. The two times we went in 50-50 on balls we received a yellow and a red. An objective, competant ref wouldn't have given a card on either one. What do we have to do to get some RESPECT?
    Oh yeah, and for SA2010 I'm watching any channel that can mute the stupid plastic horn noise. Harkes didn't piss me off today only because I had the sound turned down.
    How 'bout dat USA. WWWOOOOOO HHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO