USA v. Spain Confed Cup

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, Jun 22, 2009.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Ah, welcome back my friends to the threat that never ... that never would have happened had logic and form taken over.

So we made it through to the semis of the Cup to face the finest international squad on the planet. Not Argentina, not Brazil, certainly not Italy come close. Espana is the cat's pajamas at the moment.

For years and years, Spain fielded 11 brilliant players, but they never won anything of substance. Why? Because 11 brilliant players dont often [usually?] make a brilliant side. But they do now. Torres, Xavi, Villa -- scary good.

So, we're going to lose. But lets see some more spirit. Who do we pick? I think we need to give Spector and Cheesehead another runout to solidify their presence in the team. I think we need to give another opportunity to Davies and Jozy up front. As a matter of fact, the only change I'd make to the 11 who started against Egypt, would be for [and I can't believe I'm typing this] Feilhaber to replace Clark.

Guzan; Spector, Cheesehead, Gooch the Magnificent; Bornstein the Lucky; Dempsey, Bradley, Feilhaber, Donovan; Davies, Jozy

Our three subs: Adu, Torres, Pearce

Final Score: Spain 3 USA 2

Break out the Diet Dr. Pepper, boys; it's going to be a fun afternoon!

2. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Ok what have I missed with the entire Diet Dr. Pepper thing? I've seen HD make many many references to it lately but I missed the story behind it.

As far as the game goes, we were the team España faced right before the Euros in a friendly. I guess you could say that game got the ball rolling. Perhaps (although this is very unlikely) we'll bring that unbeaten run to an end? hahaha wishful thinking but I guess that's what America is all about.

3. Jensers

Jensers New Member

RE: Re: USA v. Spain Confed Cup

Looking forward to enjoying this match and expecting nothing more than some amazing heart and effort. A win would be a huge bonus. They have a shot if the show up.

4. CarolinaTim

CarolinaTim New Member

Have enjoyed all your comments/hopes/dreams/aspirations about the USMNT. Talk about leavin' it late. What a result v. Egypt. Some facts: Being a USA player and attempting a slide tackle in any major international tournament is very dangerous...The game is so quick at times even good(I use that term loosely) refs miss obvious stuff..........If they reviewed and PUNISHED DIVING like other fouls, red cards etc. postgame and handed out 3 game suspencions for the offense the scourge would soon leave the game...We can't beat elite teams with 10 men...Harkes let it go... Dempsey's been through a long season of brilliance, and expended a lot of energy down a man twice. Boy did he come up big? Go USA>@10,2,&4

5. sullytex

sullytex Member

They've achieved much more than anyone expected which is getting into the semi's. They are most likely going to lose. But if I see them play with heart, play good solid football, and avoid stupid, stupid mistakes (e.g. Beasley's ghost trap), I will be happy. Build off the Egypt performance and show me some freaking consitency please.

Don, like your line up prediction, but I would definitely go with Howard for this match and I would get Ricky Davis to dust of his boots and get invovled. :lol:

Final 3-1 a los Espanoles.

6. DawgTheDon

DawgTheDon New Member

Unless Timmy Howard is hurt, you won't see Guzan start. I agree with Don though in that we need to see Adu & Torres. The U.S. have nothing to lose here really, so I expect them to play tough.

1-0 Spain (Overtime)

Don't be shocked if South Africa gives Brazil a run for their money on Thursday as well.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I think you're right about the other semi. Brazil's due for a surprise or two.

8. BarryP

BarryP New Member

It is hard for me to imagine the finals being anything other than Brazil vs. Spain. Spain is .... well they are Spain and Brazil is scoring goals for fun. I don't care who Bob Bradley starts as long as it is not DMB or Kljestan. To have any chance of keeping this close we are going to have to possess the ball and not let Spain park their offense in our defensive end. With that in mind I wouldn't mind seeing this starting XI:

Timmy

Spector-Gooch-Demerit-Bornstein

Feilhaber-Clark-Bradley-Donovan

Dempsey-Altidore

Davies is my first sub off the bench for Altidore after Jozy has punished the back line for 60 minutes.

South Africa are the host nation and have everything to play for and nothing to lose. They could pull the upset but in the end I think it will be Brazil that comes out on top.

9. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

They would need a miracle to beat Spain, but I do believe in miracles. I also would really like Freddy Adu to find his way into the game at some point. I just noticed also that regardless of the result the US will play on Sunday, because there is also a 3rd place game.

10. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

It's a one off match and anything can happen. With that in mind my delusions of gradeur have gotten the better of me. Can we net a brilliant game winner? Can we rattle the cage of the greatest footballers on Earth? Do we have what it takes to make the final? The easy answer to all of those questions is NO, but come on... it's worth a shout.

I'm hoping Bradley sticks with a side similar to Sunday's. Maybe toss Adu or Torres in there somewhere. Deuce looked dangerous up top. Could work again.

11. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Same lineup as Sunday with Howard in place of Guzan. I could see Bob try and go with a 5 man midfield as he seems to like that against teams with a lot of midfield creativity. Glad Iniesta isn't playing, but does it matter? Spain 2 USA 1

12. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

I'd like to see Barry's lineup. Wouldn't mind if we saw Torres for Clark and Benny moved in to CM. I like Davies more as a sub. He reminds me a little of Nevland in the energy he brings and the chances he gets in that role. Plus Jozy lacks the fitness to go 90 right now, so you'll have to sub him anyway.

I'd like to see us stay within 1 if we lose. The key will be to avoid the early goal.

13. jmh

jmh New Member

Now Spain only has Xavi and Fabregas in the midfield. :lol:

We're probably toast, but I think the guys know they're playing with house money at this point after not being expected to advance out of the group (before the tournament, let alone after losing the first two matches) so maybe they'll be nice and loose and make a game of it. On the other hand, they played their best against Egypt with backs to the wall, so maybe not.

14. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Same lineup as Sunday w/ Howard in goal, and for Donovan to eat whatever it was that he had for breakfast that day -- he really showed me something. Again, all I want is heart, and I think we are in a great position to get at least third in this tournament, a position which I would condier to be a success. Against all odds as to what we thought on Saturday.

15. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Interesting that brasil was playing so poorly not very long ago and now they are the team with the momentum. Gives me some hope that despite the hiccups as of late, the us can show up in a year and get some momentum- who knows what might happen. The big teams have trouble when the venue moves away from one of the big 4-5.

Oh crap- here I go getting my hopes up again!

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

17. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

USA! USA! USA!

18. Bradical

Bradical Member

36 matches unbeaten tells me that Spain is due for a letdown; there is a reason that is a record. Poor goalkeeping, own goal, back-four breakdown, I don't care, we just need a hiccup.

I think we'll play them very well and shock them.

Spain 0 USA 1 (Bradley '62)

Go Uncle Sam!

edit: anyone know if we're getting Derek Rae today?

19. FulhamNorthwestUSA

FulhamNorthwestUSA New Member

USA! USA! USA! I want to see dempsey as a striker today, he is tired and less running will benefit the team!

Can we do the impossible?

20. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

The boys have to come out with the same grit as last match. If we can avoid an early goal and can get our teeth into the match, you never know. The fact we are even playing this match is a bonus so I'll be surprised if we come out tight. Realistically Spain should put us away easily, but until recently have a history of playing to their opponents level.