USA v Eng: Bench stars and wannabe's collide

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, May 27, 2005.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

So comes the day that US fans long for.. and as to be expected, England finds a way to weasel the issue.

I dont think this is QUITE the English B team.. but probably ought be called the B+ team.. A- would be stretching it.

I think that Bruce Arena, however, has done a masterful job of countering the poor-mouthing:
    No Reyna in Mid to orchestrate.. not even the 2nd choice, Mastroeni who is injured , instead Zavagnin; no Beasley.

And note the forwards: McBride ("past it - Int'he?") who had no and little time the last two quals.. Johnson going for his 7th cap, Conor Casey.. who we keep expecting to break out and never seems to and usually sits pine, if selected at all..

GK.. Keller, who I keep expecting to start complaining of his "rheumatiz"- he was US first choice before Friedel.. lo, 2001. Yeah he starts in a Bundes team ( Is that the 'Munich Glad Bags'? help me out, here).. but havent we heard German Footy is dull and stodgy? So he's good against set pieces! Hahnemann who must have learned something in Reading because he wasnt that good with the Rapids, and Thornton to eat the pies and provide shade.

So the US has a good case for Equal-Opportunity poor-mouth. And, get this.. the game doesnt mean all that much to US, either! "Arena is looking toward tests with our neighbors to the south in order to prepare for the next round."

Well, of course it DOES mean something!

It's become apparent to me from following this match-up... or should I say LACK of matchup, over the last decade, that England is scared to death of playing the US.
    For England, it is a lose-lose situation and if the "cream" hadnt had reason to beg off, a reason would have to be found!

But that means it's win-win for the US doesnt it? Not necessarily.
    The US Sports fan has a short memory... Excitement generated at the US showing in '02 bled over into MLS attendance. Which, BTW, is down SHARPLY this season.

If the national press (ESPN, SI, USAToday) treats this as an adjunct of the Bush Administration's foreign policy, meaning find the warts and hiccups in everything international, then, even if US wins 4-1, there will be a down-side.

That's why I think the ONLY way to play England is IN England, time and place of England's choosing.
    Guess the chances of THAT happening!

Arena should issue a challenge to the effect, no matter the outcome of the 'game', which England have already 'won' by Press consensus - never mind the scoreline.

2. BostonDan

BostonDan New Member

RE: USA v Eng: Bench stars and wannabe

No need for such paranoia. It's a meaningless game and it doesn't matter what anyone in the press says about it. If the sun appears here for the first time in over a week I may find something else to do.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Without researching his other posts, I see that Dan is a Liberal: understands NOTHING a conservative writes!

1. i'm NOT paranoid - merely pointing out some issues behind the 'facts'

2. I just went to great lengths to show why it is NOT 'meaningless'. too bad I failed.
    {ooops.. forgot the requisite 'leavening'}

:p [​IMG]

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

if anyone is going to this match, I will be down at Soldier Field around 11AM grilling and having a good time. If you would like to join in, send me a PM or an email.

5. BostonDan

BostonDan New Member

Re: RE: USA v Eng: Bench stars and wannabe

I will be honest and admit that if the game were close enough I'd probably go. Foxboro, at 40 miles, is about on the margin. I understand what you are saying but no, I'm not convinced. This tour is of no interest to most of England's top players for a whole host of reasons and I don't think fear of losing is very high on that list. Have a nice weekend

6. ChicagoFan

ChicagoFan New Member

Good grief. :roll: :roll:

Yeah, Bush's folly in Iraq is the media's fault. :roll: :roll:

What does the Bushies' foreign "policy" incompetence have to do with football, anyway? :lol:

What -- is the match going to last several years and be a nil-nil draw? :lol:

7. martin

martin New Member

Maybe. But we will declare victory at halftime regardless!