USA v. Brazil - Friendly - Aug. 10

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by nevzter, Aug 4, 2010.

1. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Roster:
    http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_i ... resize-367

No Dempsey, Gooch, Torres, Demerit, Holden, Clark or Jozy. Jones is listed as is Bedoya.

Only bitch about it: Robbie Findley. He's not exactly lighting MLS afire and I guess a couple of games doing f#@%-all in the World Cup isn't enough for Bob to drop him.

2. tim

tim Active Member

No Davies either. Anyone know the latest on his recovery? Is he ready to get back to it with Sochaux?

3. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Re: RE: USA v. Brazil - Friendly - Aug. 10

He has been playing a few preseason friendlies with the reserve squad, including a goal or two, but it still sounds like he has a little bit more to go before seeing first team action.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/w ... index.html

4. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

RE: Re: RE: USA v. Brazil - Friendly - Aug. 10

I wonder what is up with Jozy. Havent heard boo about where he'll be this season. Maybe he'll get another shot at the Villareal first team.

Dempsey has clearly said that he doesnt like making the trip home for international duty and he needs to once again prove to a manager that he deserves a starting spot. Gooch needs to do the same at AC so I think it's good they arent playing. Surprised at no Holden though - I would think he would jump at this chance because he would definitely start. Maybe he doesnt want to blow another season by a friendly injury.

I like Finley and am glad he was included; he had some nice moments in the Turkey match and had a pretty nice finish the other day.

The question that I have to ask is if Donovan will ever get a rest.

Last but not least, I'll be very interested to see Jones finally play in the RWB.

5. LaxAttack

Re: RE: Re: RE: USA v. Brazil - Friendly - Aug. 10

The latest on the rumor mill about Jozy is that he could be headed to Besiktas in Turkey.

I am guessing Bob is letting Holden stay in England so he can fight for a starting spot with the season quickly approaching. Sounds like Holden is right in the mix to start or come off the bench.

And nothing else has come of this, but Ives tweeted earlier today that Jones might decline the US call-up.

"German report has Jermaine Jones turning down USMNT call-up. Schalke boss Felix Magath quoted saying its still too early. MNT yet to confirm"

6. LaxAttack

7. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Chad dropped out because he's among the playing wounded. Seems like every time he gets called, there a niggle.
    And that's alright with me. If he's not in his comfort zone, I dont want him on the pitch, he's truly league first 11 where he is.
    And he's playing on borrowed time anyway; came 'that close!' to forced retirement 3 years ago.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Here's the final roster lineup:

No. Players Pos. Ht. Wt. Birthdate Hometown Club/College Caps/Goals
    1 Howard, Tim GK 6-3 210 03/06/79 North Brunswick, N.J. Everton (England) 55/0
    2 Spector, Jonathan D 6-0 180 03/01/86 Arlington Heights, Ill. West Ham United (England) 25/0
    3 Bocanegra, Carlos D 6-0 170 05/25/79 Alta Loma, Calif. Saint-Étienne (France) 83/12
    4 Bradley, Michael M 6-2 175 07/31/87 Manhattan Beach, Calif. Borussia Mönchengladbach (Germany) 47/8
    5 Gonzalez, Omar D 6-5 210 10/11/88 Dallas, Texas Los Angeles Galaxy 0/0
    6 Cherundolo, Steve D 5-6 145 02/19/79 San Diego, Calif. Hannover (Germany) 64/2
    9 Gomez, Herculez F 5-10 165 04/06/82 Las Vegas, Nev. Pachuca (Mexico) 7/2
    10 Donovan, Landon M 5-8 158 03/04/82 Redlands, Calif. Los Angeles Galaxy 127/45
    11 Bedoya, Alejandro M 5-10 160 04/29/87 Westin, Fla. Örebro (Sweden) 3/0
    12 Bornstein, Jonathan D 5-9 145 11/07/84 Los Alamitos, Calif. Chivas USA 34/2
    14 Buddle, Edson F 6-1 185 05/21/81 New Rochelle, N.Y. Los Angeles Galaxy 5/2
    16 Kljestan, Sacha M 6-1 150 09/09/85 Huntington Beach, Calif. Anderlecht (Belgium) 24/4
    17 Altidore, Jozy F 6-1 175 11/06/89 Boca Raton, Fla. Villareal (Spain) 29/9
    18 Guzan, Brad GK 6-4 210 09/09/84 Homer Glen, Ill. Aston Villa (England) 16/0
    19 Edu, Maurice M 6-0 170 04/18/86 Fontana, Calif. Rangers (Scotland) 16/1
    20 Findley, Robbie F 5-9 165 08/04/85 Phoenix, Ariz. Real Salt Lake 9/0
    21 Goodson, Clarence D 6-4 170 05/17/82 Alexandria, Va. IK Start (Norway) 14/2
    22 Feilhaber, Benny M 5-9 150 01/19/85 Irvine, Calif. Aarhus (Denmark) 35/2

What a shock that Jones changed his mind and went back to Germany.

9. jmh

jmh New Member

By "changed his mind" do you mean regarding his decision to be an international for the USA? Because that doesn't appear to be what happened here; sounds like he thinks regular preseason training with Schalke is the best way to continue his recovery from injury. If he gets match fit and back into the lineup at Schalke and turns down a callup to the friendly against Poland in October, then we can worry that he changed his mind.

10. LaxAttack

I don't think he can "swap back" to Germany since he already filled out the one-time FIFA paperwork thing and got approved for a switch.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Josh, I didn't mean to make it sound like he'd changed his mind about registration, just that with no World Cup on the horizon, there wasn't the urgency to play now.

Lax, but didn't Bobby Zamora get FIFA paperwork allowing him to play for TNT and then was injured for the fixture? I'm pretty sure you have to actually play a minute for it to be irrevocable.

12. LaxAttack

You could be right.

It is FIFA, so I doubt they fully know the rule either......

13. Clevelandmo

yeah, but when the rule needs to be clarified the FIFA "brains" will all assemble for a meeting when their busy vacation schedules allow and make a decision after it is too late. And if we are especially lucky, Sepp Blatter will say something really insightful when announcing the decision.

14. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

kickoff is just under two hours away. no announced starting XI as of yet.

I'm going to say 3-2 USA, but I'm excited to see this kid Ganso. My buddy living in Brazil tells me him and Neymar are the bomb.

15. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Here is my best guess as to the First XI which should be announced soon.

--------Howard
    Cherundolo--Goodson--Boca--Bornstein
    Klejstan--Bradley---Edu---Donovan
    ------Findley----Jozy

I could see Bedoya in place of Klejstan, or Feilhaber on the left and Donovan on the right, and Gomez in place of Findley, so who knows.

16. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

ok...USA lineup is out. Here is the first xl

Howard
    Spector-Gonzalez-Bocanegra-Bornstein
    Bedoya-Bradley-Edu-Feilhaber
    Donovan-Buddle

Donovan together with Buddle should be interesting. I am interested in seeing Bedoya as well. Excited for this match. This is the kickstart to Brazil 2014 people so let's get stoked!

17. Clevelandmo

It is also a preview of the 2014 world cup final. Yep, you just read that!

18. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Well, Mo at least we got 4 years. Not surprising, but this Brasil squad is vastly superior to what the US has to offer. Moreso than I could've imagined at this point.

19. Clevelandmo

Actually Nevzter, tonight the US was employing a highy specialized form of ball-watching strategery. It is designed to analyze and learn your opponents for future contests.

20. LaxAttack

Most of the US guys seemed to be going through the motions and were looking not to get hurt in my opinion.

People on the "outside" (Gonzalez, Bedoya) looked like they are actually hustling.

But Brazil's future looks pretty damn good, and oh yeah, they are the home team in 2014.