USA Olympic Squad

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, Feb 28, 2008.

1. EricD

EricD New Member

That is not a bad idea for a line up Barry. Holden seems to be flourishing on this team, and I would like to see a better showing from Zizzo. I think this will be an outside/in game, so we will have to rely on a great attack from Holden and Zizzo.

I hope Jozy has a little more fire in his belly for this game. I think he can be so dominant, but he appears to be choosing when and where. I do not think he will have much space due to the number of guys Canada will get behind the ball, but that may be ok because ideally he will make his own space with his size (especailly on crosses).

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I won't be there in the chatroom tonight; hosting a dinner. Don't you think DeMerit will feature tonight? And when did Spector get called back into the side?

COYRWB!!

3. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Don I could be wrong but I don't think DeMerit came back from England.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

yeah; guess the SkySports crawl got it wrong.

5. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Quick summay 3-0 to the good guys. The entire team played well. Adu is a monster on free kicks. Jozy is just a monster. Holden looks like he is turning into a real talent. Spector solidfies the back four and must be watching the game in slow motion. Wynne is a fast man with muscle. Orozco, Edu and McCarty did their jobs so well you almost did not notcie they were in the game but they were definately in the game.

6. RoddyFFC

RoddyFFC New Member

7. EricD

EricD New Member

Hey, we scored 3 goals. Finally.
    It is fun to watch Freddy. He has a ton of skill, and he is not afraid to take a shot from outside. The outside shot is lacking in the US, both the national teams and the MLS do not do this enough. I would like to see more.

I was happy to see the ball at Freddy's feet as much as possible. He is creative and unselfish. I had no problem when Freddy tried to take on three defenders and lost the ball in the corner. He tried to take on three defenders - that is some confidence. Granted, it is not the best thing to do, but I was not upset. He was making some C. Ronaldo type moves that appeared to put the defenders on their heels for a second.

Sacha scored, so that is a nice thing for a hometown boy (HB, CA). He scared me a couple of times on loss possessions when he tried to pass the ball back. We can't start the fast break for them. Thanks to the tough D play those attacks were shut down.

Good review Roddy.

8. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Landon says he wants to go to China and is volunteering his services for a wildcard spot. Can't imagine the Bradley and Nowak not taking him.

9. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I can see it. Midfield was not one of our areas of deficiency. My guess is a forward, another defender and a goalie will get the call. I could see the forward spot coming down to EJ or Demps. DeMerit or Boca wouldn't hurt in the back and Timmy or Guzan in goal. If we don't take a goalie then maybe I could see another midfielder.

As a side note, if Landon does get the call someone on our own squad should tackle him if he gets anywhere near a free kick. Freddie has earned that job.

10. jlough

jlough New Member

You could sure tell how Europe experience helps. Adu is much improved and Spector certainly stablized the back line. It would be nice to see Altidore in Europe. It would help him for 2010. It seems to be helping Johnson as he improves at Fulham with each match.

11. BarryP

BarryP New Member

12. EricD

EricD New Member

Jozy could use the mentoring, and it would be great to see him in the US shirt again. Talk about leading by example - this would be like Crash Davis in Bull Durham (but he was in "the show" a lot longer).

13. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Does anyone know when the final roster for the US Olympic team will be announced or if it already has been.

14. BarryP

BarryP New Member

It has not yet been announced to the best of my knowledge Mo. The last blurb I heard was that it was going to be a late announcement.

15. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Brazil announced their squad and it is ridiculously talented.

Goalkeepers: Diego Alves (Almeria), Renan (Internacional).
    Defenders: Ilsinho (Shakhtar Donetsk), Rafinha (Shalke), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Alex Silva (Sao Paulo), Breno (Bayern Munich), Thiago Silva (Fluminense).
    Midfielders: Anderson (Manchester United), Diego (Werder Bremen); Hernanes (Sao Paulo), Lucas (Liverpool), Ronaldinho (FC Barcelona), Thiago Neves (Fluminense).
    Forwards: Alexandre Pato (AC Milan), Jo (Manchester City), Rafael Sobis (Real Betis), Robinho (Real Madrid).

16. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Ouch -- I knew they had their eyes on this tournament because the Olympics is the one trophy they haven't won. They aren't messing around.

Can anyone shed some light on their keepers? I am not familiar with either one.

17. jmh

jmh New Member

Take a look at Argentina's roster; they're making a serious run at it too.

GK: Oscar Ustari (Getafe), Sergio Romero (Alkmaar)
    Def: Paulo Zabaleta (Espanyol), Luciano Fabian Monzon (Boca Juniors), Ezequiel Garay (Real Madrid), Nicolas Burdisso (Inter Milan), Federico Fazio (Sevilla)
    Mid: Fernando Gago (Real Madrid), Juan Roman Riquelme (Boca Juniors), Ever Banega (Valencia), Javier Mascherano (Liverpool), Jose Ernesto Sosa (Bayern Munich), Angel Di Maria (Benfica), Diego Buonanotte (River Plate)
    Fw: Sergio Aguero (Atletico Madrid), Lionel Messi (Barcelona), Ezequiel Lavezzi (Napoli), Lautaro Acosta (Sevilla)

Burdisso, Riquelme and Mascherano are the three over-age players.

In Fulham news, Adrian Leijer is one of six Europe-based players on Australia's roster for the Olympics.

USA roster still not announced.

18. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Wow...it appears that everybody but Brazil and Argentina are playing for the bronze.

After seeing these names, no wonder the US doesn't want to release its roster yet.

19. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Wikipedia gives us a good idea of who to expect (see the second roster, the non-toulon crapfest one).

I wonder who the three "over-age" players will be. Anyone wanna take bets on it not being Landon?

20. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Speculation from Steven Goff of The Washington Post on the Men's Olympic team announcement today.