USA Olympic Squad

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, Feb 28, 2008.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Before we get ahead of ourselves and assume Olympic qualification, there will be a semi-final match that must be won. Mexico had a disappointing draw w/Canada in their first game and now Guatemala leads that group. The bottom-line is we need to avoid playing Mexico in the play-in game, and the best way is to beat Honduras and hope El Tri win their last two games also.

Panama was a scrappy bunch and damn near pulled out the draw. With all the defections from Cuba it's hard to determine how good Honduras is. Glad the team is traveling, maybe a new setting will help the finishing.

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

WE WILL BEAT, Honduras. End of.

3. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Maybe we've all drank the kool-aid, because, despite a win and a draw, I don't share the confidence espoused by FFCinPCB (although, what does that say about the progress of U.S. footie when a draw and win aren't good enough?)

I don't rate Nowak's performance thus far. Since the kids are just coming together, it takes the manager to get them to play as a unit and I think he's failed strategically thus far.

That said, Adu has greatly matured since the youth World Cup this past summer and I, like others above have stated, am excited when he touches the ball. I may be the only one, but I'm excited to see what Adu and 'Cakes could do together behind a/the striker(s)

4. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Gathering my drink and snack. Honduras is about to go down starting in 26 minutes!

My prediction is the US will dominate this match and Jozy locates the back of the net.

5. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

BarryP for Elected Office...!

6. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Can someone who isn't nude be referred to as a "streaker?"

7. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Yessssssssss! Christian remind me tomorrow to say that Fulham needs to nick one.

8. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Not a great game, but I'll take the win.

It was Davies best showing so far - not that he was great, but he is at least the next Eddie Johnson (with all that entails for the USMNT).

I thought Sacha has a horrible game - most of his passes went to Honduran players.

Orosco is solid. I like having US players playing in Mexico.

Holden was pretty good and Gaven wasn't bad. Kamani Hill may have found himself a new position.

I guess we find out tomorrow who we play - it's interesting, 'cause Mexico may not even qualify (Go Canada!)

9. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I agree with most of what Andy said except go Haiti!!!!! (because thats who Mexico will play)

I thought the US dominated possession once again with little to show for it. Of course there was no Adu, Edu, Altidore or Seitz. McCarty and Davies only played for about 30 minutes if that. Davies speed really put Honduras on their back foot and he earned 2 penalty kicks. Also, someone obviously pulled him aside and told him if he wanted to see the pitch again he was going to cut the diving crap out.

Holden was very good and at times Gaven was sparkling. The passing at times was quick and crisp but we once again failed to score from open play.

10. EricD

EricD New Member

I was bummed with this game. When are we going to get someone who is going to go for it in front of the goal. Davies looked like he wanted it, and I agree that someone said to knock that diving crap off.

Holden is a nice player. Sasha had a horrible game. Gaven lost the ball too many times on the dribble. Barrett needs to work on his game. Hill showed his attacking skills. Orozco is solid in the back. Findley seems lost most of the time. Cervi is a green, but has the physical tools.

I thought it was funny when the announcer said they brought in Davies for Zizzo to step up the pace. I agree that Davies is fast, but pace is Sal's game. It just seemed funny to me.

11. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

If I'm reading Soccernet right, Canada won 5-0 and Mexico won 5-1. You know what that means?

We play Canada and Mexico is out of the Olympics!!!!!!!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

12. shinerbockguy

shinerbockguy New Member

Looks like Guatemala shut it down that last game - wonder if they wanted to stick it to Mexico...
    Sad to see Mexico not going to the Olympics, but I hope this means we'll get there now.

13. EricD

EricD New Member

If we beat Canada Thursday, we are in. The winner of Guatemala and Honduras also will be in.

14. EricD

EricD New Member

USA PLAYER RATINGS vs. HONDURAS
    GRADE PLAYER (CLUB)
    STARTERS
    6 Dominic Cervi (Chicago Fire)
    5 Kamani Hill (Wolfsburg/Germany)
    5 Pat Ianni (Houston Dynamo)
    5 Michael Orozco (San Luis/Mexico)
    4 Hunter Freeman (New York Red Bulls)
    5 Sal Zizzo (Hannover/Germany)
    7 Stuart Holden (Houston Dynamo)
    7 Eddie Gaven (Columbus Crew)
    4 Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA)
    5 Robbie Findley (Real Salt Lake)
    4 Chad Barrett (Chicago Fire)
    SUBSTITUTES
    6 Dax McCarty (FC Dallas)
    6 Charlie Davies (Hammarby/Sweden)

15. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

There is NO question whether or not Guatemala stuck it to Mexico. There is a deep hatred (more so from Guatemala, Mexico views them as inconsequential). They won their first two games (including a 2-1 win over Mexico), qualified for the next round and played their under 16 team (kidding) v Canada.

Talked to my buddy who was watching the Mexico-Haiti match and the announcers on ESPN Desportes said Gaut. rolled over on purpose. Bottom line is Mexico has only themselves to blame, they didn't recall any European based players thinking qualifying was a mere formality (looking at their group it should have been). They call this age group their "golden generation" in Mexico, which is funny since they now won't be competing for a gold medal. Heads are going to roll for sure.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Sky Sports just reported that Watford's Jay DeMerit is on his way to join the squad. Come on You Cheesehead! Don't look for Spector, though. He's a 90-minute man now with the Spammers.

17. EricD

EricD New Member

DeMerit is a nice player. I would like to see him get more looks on the Sr team too.

18. EricD

EricD New Member

CONCACAF'S TWO BERTHS IN THE Olympic men's soccer tournament will be decided on Thursday in Nashville. Both semifinals will be televised live on Fox Soccer Channel, ESPN Deportes and ESPN360.com. For the complete TV schedule ...

Final Stage
    March 20 in Nashville, Tenn.
    Semifinal 1 Guatemala-Honduras 5 p.m. CT FSC/ESPN Deportes/ESPN360.com
    Semifinal 2 USA-Canada 8 p.m. CT FSC/ESPN Deportes/ESPN360.com
    March 23 in Nashville, Tenn.
    Third-Place Game 1 p.m. CT FSC/ESPN Deportes/ESPN360.com
    Final 4 p.m. CT FSC/ESPN Deportes/ESPN360.com
    (Note: Semifinal winners advance to 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing.)

19. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Thanks Eric...Free ESPN360.com is the beauty of working on a college campus.

20. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Anyone else warming up the USA! USA! chant?

I have no clue what Nowak is going to do with formation or line-up tonight but here is what I would like to see:

Seitz

Wynne-Sturgis-Spector-Orozco

Zizzo-Edu-Holden

Adu-McCarty

Altidore

With both Adu and McCarty given the freedom to roam the middle of the field and Zizzo and Holden making runs up the edges.