USA Olympic Squad

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, Feb 28, 2008.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

2. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Thanks for the article Don, looks like a strong line-up even without the wild cards. Hopefully we can do a little better than our performance at the U-20 World Cup.

Any speculation on who the three wild cards would be???

3. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

I read Spector's name as a likely wild card

4. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I'd feel better if Bradley was in the group, but the team as is should be able to qualify. Also, why do you suppose Szetela isnt on the squad?

I didnt know about the three wild cards. What three over age players would you bring in? I'd bring in one of our goalies (Howard, Guzan, or Hahnemann), Dempsey, and I dont know who the third would be, probably Gooch, Boca or Landycakes.

5. jmh

jmh New Member

This roster lists Edu as a defender - is he?

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Obviously, like Bradley, he's far too valuable to his European team! Uh.. I forget what team he's on, but he probably is their star.

Why dont we ask Ives, his assli.. I mean his Boswell.

7. EricD

EricD New Member

I like the possible Feilhaber Edu combo in the middle. Although I like the Bradley Feilhaber combo better, I think this can be effective.

Overall, I like the team speed.

8. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Seitz will be fine in goal. For wild cards, I'm thinking Dempsey, Beasley (if he's healthy), and Gooch.

9. jmh

jmh New Member

Will we be playing Mexico? Might be good for Gooch to put the fear of god into a new generation of Mexican forwards. :D

10. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Hard to believe bc since he seems like he should be 27-28, but Spector is still only 21 years old. It will be quite interesting to see which "older guys" would want to go. My guess is that second tier guys looking for that once in a lifetime Olympic experience will be volunteering.

Biggest surprise inclusion is Orange County's Michael Orozco, who is playing his football in the Mexican League w/San Luis

11. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

I think we benefit more from having Guzan or Howard in goal even if it does use 1 of our 3 wild card spots. Of course it won't do either of them any good if we have no defense in front of them.

We have plenty of young talent up top and in the midfield, we need experience in the back. But then agains this is the perfect opportunity to get them experience in the back. This is why I am not a coach.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

if the kids are going to be the ones to get us qualified, I think we should stick with them in the big show. They need the high-pressure experience. People like Howard and Dempsey and Gooch and Beasley have already performed on a world stage. Let the kids sort it out. WE DON'T HAVE TO WIN EVERYTHING.

God, I hate the way our country views the Olympics. Sorry; rant over; back to the qualifying squad.

13. Clevelandmo

Well, if you promise me Brazil wont put three of their best wild cards in then I might agree.

And no, we dont need to win everything, but there is little that would give me more joy than winning at soccer.

Also, please tell me how any other country views the olympics in a better light. I watched olympic coverage in the UK and France and was not impressed. US coverage was more balanced.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

My problem is that we tend to think that anything other than a gold is abject failure. I get sick of seeing a silver medal or a bronze medal treated like it's a disappointment. The only time this DOESN'T happen is when an American also gets the GOLD.

15. Clevelandmo

Yeah, I think there is truth to that. I feel a little insensitive for not having ever thought about it. I think it has something to do with the fact that we have so many gold medal winners.

As much as you're right, I still cant find it in my heart to congratulate the US Mens Basketball team on their bronze (i think) in 2004. Really wish olympic basketball would switch back to amatuers.

16. Lyle

Lyle New Member

He got loaned to some Serie B team in Italy. Maybe he's starting every game.

17. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

..depends on the sport. In some sports, it is recognized that a US Bronze medal is a MAJOR accomplishment; in others, we "expect" to win the Gold; heck, in some we "expect" to sweep all three medals.

18. EricD

EricD New Member

Olympic Qualifying Roster update:
    Left off the team after training in Florida were midfielders Benny Feilhaber, Robbie Rogers and Arturo Alvarez; defender Mike Randolph, and goalkeeper Tally Hall.

I am bummed about Benny because I think he is getting screwed, but I have no idea what the reason was for him being left off the team. Derby's midfield is taking a beating with injuries, so maybe he will get some PT there. I thought he actually changed the game for the better when he came in against Mexico as a late sub in the recent non-friendly.

I think Robbie Rogers has incredible speed, and he had a great U-20 tourney. He was getting a little more time at Columbus at the end of the year. I like the skill of Alvarez, and he has a nice left foot. It seems questionable to let two left sided players go.

Given some of the players that are still on the roster, it seems like nowak let go of some quality. I would think this is really important since we did not qualify last time around.

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

our first qualifying match against Cuba is going to be on FSC on Tuesday evening -- LIVE!

20. Clevelandmo

I'm not crazy about those omissions either. If someone hears why, please post it.