USA-England 5/28 Watching Party Chicago

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by arwIII1970, May 13, 2008.

1. arwIII1970

arwIII1970 New Member

Hey there! I travel a lot with work and will be in Chicago on May 28th, the day of the US-England friendly. I am stuck in the office until 5pm, but The Globe Pub will be showing the game both live (2pm I believe) and will replay it at 7pm. I will definitely be there in the evening for the replay, if anybody wanted go up.

http://www.theglobepub.com/

2. Gregweaver

Gregweaver New Member

I live about 2 hr drive from Chicago and I wouldn't be against going there to see the match. Let's see if we can't get something going.

How you think we'll do against England, away?

I'm praying for a 1-1...being realistic. Dempsey grabs a late one

3. arwIII1970

arwIII1970 New Member

I will be at the Globe around 6:30pm, so I will miss the live coverage but will catch the replay - The Globe is showing the game live and the replay. It is a Brit pub as you probably know and it should be mighty full of fans. I've never been so I am excited about it.

As for the game - look, I love the US and especially Dempsey. I do think England is usually overated and rarely plays to their ability as a team. That being said, England has a ton of firepower offensively. If England stops fukcing about and takes the game seriously, I don't think there is any question that they win. Joe Cole alone is better than our best player, Donovan. They've got Captain Fantastic, Rooney, Lamps, and let's just see how fired up Beckham will be to have some strikers able to connect on his crosses. The Becks to Crouch partnership still has life in it, IMO. Plus it's Wembley, and our guys still get scared outside of US soil (I know Poland, but come on).

I think offensively it is going to be tough for the US, overall you have to think it isn't going to be a hugely beautiful game. Donovan is living on Beckham passes in MLS - we have anybody on the US team that can do that? Our backline is going to be tested too.

How we do well is by playing very unselfishly, like vs Poland or Mexico in the Gold Cup. Lots of passes, lots of team defense, Donovan touching the ball a lot. Team will have to be very fired up. England is a set piece team too. It may come down to how we defend those.

For the US this needs to be a game where you show the England team we are bringing it, and we will work harder than you, loose balls, defense, and we have a chip on our shoulder against those prima donnas. Hustle to show those Euro scouts we have talent. We have to be up for it - it has to mean something. I think some guys will bring that, maybe not all though.

For England, this is just a friendly to impress Capello after the EPL season at home.

Sorry for the long answer, I get fired up!

4. Gregweaver

Gregweaver New Member

I agree, 1-1 seems like a pipe dream.

Can we please get Donovan in the EPL somewhere? We really need to get him in there against top competition and I know know a days he could thrive.

I'm not familar with the chicago area, I live in northern indiana, it's a 2 hr drive, I might need directions to the pub

5. sublicon

sublicon New Member

Re: RE: USA-England 5/28 Watching Party Chicago

A wise man once said...Landon Pu**y, Not in Europe!

6. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

O no, a Donovan post!!!

Landon doesn't want to go to Europe -- it's too haaaaaaaard.

Bianca is too far awaaaaaaaaaay.

But hey, forget being the best in his profession, where's the better surf and sunshine, London or LA?

7. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

A happy Landon is a better Landon, and a better Landon makes for a better USMNT.

So he's not in Europe. So what? He still the top man in the USMNT and it's not as if he's regressed in the 7+ years he spent in MLS.

About the game: I can't see it live, I'll be stuck at work. :(