US v ENGLAND

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by SoCalJoe, Jun 7, 2010.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Maybe Capello had the same dream, earlier..

Capello bawls out his slackers

- Article FULL of nuggets. Not that I drill down on England dynamics but seems to me that is the same story we always get. Players get selected and act like they're on the Hollywood red carpet.
    I dont understand WTH Hart would do something stupid as that, though. Speaks to me of a guy who thinks he wont play anyway. If I were Capello I would have sent him home.
    ..oh.. wait... England's not exactly overrun with brilliant keepers are they?

2. BarryP

BarryP New Member

One more day!
    There's only one more day 'til the USA beats England!

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

If the first match of the tourney is any yardstick, I think we can relax about the officiating. The ref showed a lot of restraing. All the yellows were merited, and I didn't see any haughty schoolmaster attitudes out there.

Long may this continue.

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

After midnight out here on the leftcoast, can't sleep, too fired up. My bro-in-law wanted to host, which was fine, but as long as he knew my arse will be there by 7 am for the Nigeria-Argentina game.

Soak it all in people, England v US in the WC don't come around too often (if it's another 60 years, I better go Walt Disney and find a freezer). Have a great one everybody, USA USA USA!!

5. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I'm so excited I don't know what to do. It is 0650 hours, and I am waiting for the ARG-NIG game, coffee in hand, and can't even think of anything intelligent to say, other than I think the pucker factor rocks in for the US at a solid 0.3 on a 10 scale for the US, and England is at a 7.9

6. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Spot on Christian!

7. BarryP

BarryP New Member

From now on Timmy Howard should be introduced as playing the position of superhero!

8. pettyfog

well, I thought that was interesting.

I didnt panic when ENG scored. We're pretty good at adjusting from one down.

MOM... sorry I dont agree with Howard. What spectacular save did he make?

I'm awarding it to two guys who I thought played to show they belong there.

- Gooch. He's back and his freaking HEART is obvious. If he cant get a promise of match roster, he needs to be released and go somewhere who''ll play him

- Cherundolo. He gave ENG left fits all match both going up and covering. I'm a Frankie fan.. though not 'cheerleader. I hereby declare Frankie is retired.

This GK foof is almost a carbon copy of Keller's foof just a couple days ago. It comes down to GK lapse but the fault is in the gloves, I'm telling you. They impart a confidence that shouldnt be there. Like stopping a rolling beach ball with a shovel.

Added: SERIOUSLY!!!! If Guzan had been in goal and come up with that performance.. yes. But that is what we expect from Howard. If he'd actually stopped the goal shot, then defo.. MOM. but he didnt have a chance, did he.
    If there had been a pk and he stopped it, yes.

The reality was classic Howard or Friedel.

9. Lyle

Lyle New Member

US did well

Executed their game plan, controlled the game for the most part and survived the odd bit of positive England play. Well done team.

Now on to Slovenia.

10. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Howard was good man. Plain and simple. Green's not even on the same level as him. The spectacular save really isn't the calling card of the world class keepers, it's their solid consistency which is important.

Howard deserves man of the match. Of course Dolo and Gooch had good games though.

11. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Phew. Glad that match is behind the team and we got a point. Glad to see Gooch playing well, but the defense needs to get better, still too many lapses. Dolo had a great game too. Midfield play could be better too...but i am biased against Clark. I didn't have high hopes for the game when I saw the lineup with Findley and Clark starting, but they weren't too bad. But I want to see Torres and Buddle in the next couple of games.

12. jmh

jmh New Member

Good enough. No red cards is nice. Man is Capello going to get eviscerated in the press for going with Green.

13. pettyfog

I thought we did GREAT in the midfield.. Our play in the middle was better than eng.. passes complete v losses and takeaways.

14. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Did you miss the Timmy charging out of the goal and giving up his body to slap a cross that was destined for one of two English players while taking Heskey's boot up slide and then getting back up and playing flawlessly for the rest of the match?

By the way Jim that expected play bailed both Gooch and to a lesser extent 'Dolo out of positional mistakes. Gooch and Dolo both played well but if we swapped goalies there is no way the match ends in a draw.

15. pettyfog

SHIT! I lose!

Caught out in my geezerness.. MAY be that I was blocking that BECAUSE .. that was a freaking close call for our prospects...

16. BarryP

BarryP New Member

My thoughts exactly.

17. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I love the US MNT. Really thought that they could've pulled out a win but a tie it is. I'm going to forget and forgive Bob Bradley about leaving Ching at home. Findley, Buddle, and Gomez have all shown enough for me to believe in his decision, especially since he has chosen to actually let all of them play in the matches. Bob is a very very good coach.

The best thing about today is Dempsey. He is the only player that I heard that actually said he like the WC ball, and look what happened. Goalie mistake, unpredictable ball, or a bit of both - I dont know but it just goes to show our boy Clint Dempsey believes and comes through. And I saw him kiss his fingers and look up to the sky for his sister after the goal.

Go USA. Let's hope for a nil-nil draw between Algeria and Slovenia tomorrow.

Oh and whew the ref wasnt the disaster I feared

18. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

A great point earned. Onyewu looked fit and solid - great stuff from Timmy, Timmay. For stretches, I saw the U.S. control and pass the ball - I was impressed. England's gonna garner chances against the U.S., it's a given, but the U.S. handled them pretty well.

In my view, nobody else but Donovan can even get the shot off that Demps scored on. Good things happen...yada yada yada and thank you, Mr. Green. Dempsey's breaking-down of Gerrard in the build up was nice.

Watched with an English crowd - left smiling and feelin' good about the odds on progression out of the group (with some help from Sierra Nevada.)

* Also, if Crouch comes on earlier, I think the U.S. leaks a goal.

19. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I thought Gooch had a great game, almost the other end of the spectrum from what I expected, and feared. Timmy is a world class keeper in teh solid consistency, I seem to remember a save from Heskey in the second half that I feared the worst on, from off to Timmy's right, that I feared the worst on when Heskey let fly. Demerit also did a lot better than I thought.

Dempsey... my goodness. I thought of the Juve goal, today's shot was every bit as audacious. WHat a stud. Also,Robert Green, keep your head up, look up Teddy Roosevelt's Man in the Arena speech and use that as a shield against the Sun and their bopttom feeding ilk.

20. pettyfog

- Bigsoccer