US v Czech Republic Friendly

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by SoCalJoe, May 21, 2010.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

The boys take on WB's and my Czechs at some place called Rentschler Field in East Hartford, CT. I assume the location is more about convenience to the camp than EH being a hotbed of soccer activity. Also assuming that CR will be bringing the next generation of players as they start building for the 2012 Euros. While the final score is not the be all end all, the US needs to win. I knew we were in trouble when the fellas lost to a bad team (Morocco?) in one of their final tuneups in '06.

What are some of the things you are looking for? For me;

1. Gooch needs to play some, but Bradley should put his backup CB pair together (Cheesehead and Goodson?) 2. Holden 3. Jozy's pairing 4. Edu/Clark battling for the holding mid spot (honestly think M.Bradley at that position with Holden is our best fit, but Dad won't do it).

2. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

I think Gooch should play the whole game if possible. He needs to get as close to match fit before the Cup as possible and therefore should play 90 in all 3 friendlies if he is able. I want to see both Gomez and Buddle get a shot to play with Altidore. One in the first half, the other in the second although I'm still very skeptical about either at the International level. Findley, I love ya, but don't think you have the quality. Come back to RSL so we can make a run at L.A. while they are short-handed. Here is my 23 for SA

GK- Howard, Hahnemann, Guzan
    Def- Gooch, Boca, Bornstein, Spector, Demerit, Goodson, Cherundolo
    Mid- Dempsey, Donovan, Bradley, Edu, Clark, Torres, Beasley, Holden, Feilhaber
    Str- Altidore, Ching, Gomez, Johnson

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Why goodson?

4. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

you Marshall lover....actually I like Marshall too but hasn't he been injured? I picked Goodson over Marshall because Marshall is just now coming off injury I thought. Enlighten me.

5. SoCalJoe

Re: RE: US v Czech Republic Friendly

No reason except Bradley seems to like him a more than Marshall. TBH putting either in a WC match is a terrifying thought (only Bornstein playing scares me more).

6. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Runouts for Boca and Spector at LB to see who is going to be the better fit since both played it this year at their clubs. We can't start Bornstein over there and expect to go far.

7. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I'm not saying ANYTHING about Marshall after the disappointing Gold cup.

I guarandamntee you in an MLS game he's better than Bornstein and far better than Goodson.
    Other than that... all I'll say is if BB SHOULD pick Marshall, I wont carp. Just hold my breath that he's no longer got 'Buck Fever'

Screw it... IF Marshall should go in , it would be to replace Gooch. But Chad, Spector and BB need to get the communications straight.
    look at RBNY last night for WHY. and I suspect Chad had same probs in GC.

He KNOWS the positioning stuff.. learned from Robin Fraser who was no slouch at running the D.

8. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Sounds like Marshall is hurt and has been limited in camp so far. And as mentioned above by Joe, Bob has shown in the past that he liked Goodson over Marshall as of recently.

Also, all signs point to Bradley cutting down to his final 23 after this game.

I think you sit Jozy and play all the other forwards out there for a half.

Gooch needs to play the full 90.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

SCJ, I'm with you on most of it, but I want Holden at wide right, not at central mid. I think our best 4-4-2 midfield will be Donovan -- Edu -- Bradley -- Deuce, with Holden coming in about 60-75 minutes when we move Deuce up to strike.

Clark's a good guy to have in reserve, and so is Beas. I HATE having Bornstein on the squad at all, since I think any decent right winger will eat him alive. I do like a little bit of defensive skill in a defender. Speaking of which, with Cheesehead taking a knock, I think you have to put in Gooch, and I'd like to see Spector in one of the slots. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see him play in three defensive positions before we go to South Africa.

For the first match, I think you have to put Altidore and Gomez in for the first half at least. Then sub out Altidore and partner Gomez up with other strikers. I'm assuming that EJ and Ching are still to banged up to play.

10. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

SoCalJoe, I was at that Morocco match in Nashville (with a tan). Very depressing, but overall a good experience since we just happened, since we had no idea, to check in to the same hotel as the team. Met almost the whole team.

Highlight = elevator ride with a bunch of the guys, and shaking McBride's hand after he let everyone else out in front of him.

Lowlight = same elevator ride, after all of those guys got off, and looking at some older guy as we ride it down to the ground floor and asking him if he's going to the match that night, who reacts kind of awkwardly. As he walks off the elevator and away, it occurs to me!

I shout, "Sorry, Kasey..."

11. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Oh and yes, Czech should very much be bleeding the youth.

For the USMNT, this is a good opportunity to give the starters or near starters a run out in the first half, then substitute liberally with the newbies in the second half.

12. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

i'm not high on bornstein either but Bob loves him so he's on the 23 I think Bob will take

13. SoCalJoe

In the car this morning and Jozy Altidore was doing an interview with Colin Cowherd (ESPN radio) and the host mentions that Donovan is on the "campus" doing interviews/promos and a "DOH!" moment occurs. Maybe just maybe the game is being played in East Hartford because its 15 miles from ESPN headquarters :shock:

Read this week in the Deuce article in SI that ESPN paid $100 million for the rights to the '10 & '14 WCs while Univision paid $325 mill. Cha-Ching for the 4-letter network.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

That's reflective of the expected ad revenue/total viewership of the event for each network. What those numbers say is that Univision is a
    2010 Caddilac Escalade while ESPN is a 1971 Ford Country Squire.

15. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Howard and Onyewu were on ESPN's campus today as well. Both made appearances on First Take today. LD was on SportsCenter.

16. SoCalJoe

Something tells me that the '71 Squire is packing a helluva engine. ESPN is very shrewd and surely played the "Americans don't follow soccer" card. The ratings will surprisingly good (to everyone except ESPN) and their profit margin (especially in 2014) will make Univisions' paltry in comparison.

17. jmh

jmh New Member

I went up to Hartford for the sendoff series match against Latvia in 2006 (the shirt that I wear to USMNT matches is one of the replica shirts from that match with McBride printing) but this one being on a weeknight basically makes it impossible for me to get up again. Oh well.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

so, with all these ESPN interviews, I'm assuming that ESPN2 [and the ever-lovely John Harkes] is doing the coverage tomorrow?

19. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

Don't know who is doing the play-by-play and commentary, but the match is on ESPN (and ESPN-HD) with coverage starting at 6:30 p.m. central.

20. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I LOVE that kit, but you can't find it anywhere.