US v Costa Rica

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by SoCalJoe, Mar 18, 2013.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Completely agree. Maybe the experiment to convert Beas into a LB for the national team isn't quite over yet? He played very smart in the game last night, never going too far forward. But then again, if he starts in Mexico, he won't have the snow to help him, and we'll probably be saying something different.

2. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

The grounds crew were the MVP's of the match. I was completely surprised the first time the cameras panned back to show a set of freshly shoveled penalty area lines. I would not have thought snow shovels would have been allowed on the pitch without an official stoppage in time for the grounds crew.

As for the US team I already mentioned Da Beas, full credit to Mo for the Beasley love, but I also thought Jozy had some really bright moments as well. With the impact the snow had on the match it is hard to do much player evaluation but Omar and Goodsen worked well together and other than one bad flap on a corner Guzan did well in those conditions. I wonder how much the poor visibility played into Guzan overrunning the corner?

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Had a couple friends over and all we could do was laugh after awhile. Good thing Costa Rica had us on our heels right when they had the delay, because I think they were instrumental on keeping the game going. As said hard to grade anyone's performance on a surreal night no one will soon forget;

• Clint. The captain was fully invested, got the goal, and dang near scored a sick goal in the blizzard in the second half.
    • Jozy. Maturing and it's just a matter of time before he starts scoring goals and maybe in bunches.
    • Jones. Loved the snow in the hair and was all over the pitch, until he brain cramped and attempted an elbow on Bryan (might of grazed him, judging on Ruiz's 2 second delay). Strangest sequence all night, the ref called a foul, but no card?? It was either a dive or a card.

The forecast was for it to dump snow, will be interested what the airport situation was. Not sure what the USMNT schedule was for getting out of town, but I'm sure Costa Rica wasn't planning on being in Denver for an extra day.

Have to give the result 3 :banana-skier: :banana-skier: :banana-skier:

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

The Ticos whining now (can't say it's not warranted) and are planning to file a complaint to FIFA. Not sure which CR player said it, but he was quoted as saying 'if it wasn't snowing, we would have won'.JK, please have someone from the team (if you are still the coach :shock: ) cut that quote out and and put it on the board when we go down there.

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Herc Gomez on protest:
    https://twitter.com/herculezg/status/315330746170613760

And his tweet in response to "the article":
    https://twitter.com/herculezg/status/314771951895838720

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, I thought the match was hugely entertaining. I thought both teams dealt with the weather well. As for whether or not it should have been abandoned, the key element for the referee is the safety of the players. I don't remember anyone being subbed out because of an injury or the imminent threat of a red card. How unusual is that for a CONCACAF match?

Yes, it was difficult for us to see via the TV cameras, but it was obvious that the players could see well enough and -- most importantly -- the ref could as well. When the incredibly idiotic stoppage occurred, players from BOTH teams appeared to be appealing to continue the game. Stopping it in hopes of a replay today would have been a joke since the forecast was snow and more snow.

I am laughing at the widespread criticism of the US for scheduling a match in the middle of a snowstorm. We're about a week away from the opening of the MLB season, and it's SPRING for god's sake. It could just as easily have been in the mid-70s at kickoff time.

Like many on here, I was pleased with Beasley's play. With 'dolo out, it was nice to have an old hand in the back four. I thought our best player was Jozy, who looks to have found himself as a classical English centre forward. It was nice to see that JK has finally cottoned on to having Herc on the pitch also in the attack so that Dempsey can do his late run thing. The MAJOR thing that pissed me off -- aside from Ian Darke, of course -- was Jermain Jones's cheap shot on Bryan. It was not only intentional, he created the situation for no reason other than punching Bryan. He had plenty of time to clear the ball, but hung on to it to draw Bryan in. Jones is an absolute NUTTER. I cringe everytime I see him in our squad -- especially since he's wearing MY number.

From the Ticos, their goalscoring threat is also a dirty bugger. I think the Mexicans will sort his ass out. Putting Oviedo on the pitch as a LB was brilliant. He schooled the very disappointing Cameron constantly and was an absolute blur rushing up the pitch. Our Bryan showed class.

Another good match from Clint, with a prototypical Clint Dempsey goal. The major problem I have with the ref is his refusal to call a penalty which would have put us 2-0 up in the first half.

The biggest problem I had with the match is that I never got a chance to play in conditions like that. Damn, that looked like fun out there.

7. tim

tim Active Member

FIFA has turned down Costa Rica's appeal, and has placed the blame on one Bryan Ruiz. They say he failed to correctly protest to the ref at the time (and with Clint, as US captain, present).