US v Costa Rica

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by SoCalJoe, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Thanks for posting Jump. It's about time a reporter had the guts to write something like that. And I'm so sick of this "it's not going to happen overnight, we're not Spain or Germany". That is fine when you're talking change to our youth system, the youth teams, but we are currently good enough to qualify for the world cup and we should be playing that way.

I wish the article would have been better at pointing out that the only losses we have had in World Cup Qualifying have been when Boca wasnt playing, the loss in Jamaica. The very next game at home v. Jamaica he starts Boca and we shut them out. Did he learn nothing from that? Klinsmann has started Boca in 17 of 20 games while he has been at the helm (not counting camp cupcake). WTH was he doing all that time if he was just going to leave him off the roster at a whim.

Klinsmann has STARTED 13 different players in his backline during the 20 games he's been in charge (again, not including any camp cupcakes). One of these includes starting Torres at LB in a WCQ when Geoff Cameron was an unused sub. That's more than three entire sets of different back lines. Shouldnt a national team coach making his salary be better at choosing the top defenders so at some point he can settle on the starters and the back-ups?

2. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

In terms of low cappings, I think what we're finding here is similar to what many of my friends are finding as teachers in inner-city schools: there's such a large pool of new, cheaper teachers to draw from (i.e. TFA, Masters Residency Programs, etc), that the school system is offering little in terms of keeping current teachers (even ones that went same route) from staying more than 3 years. There's this constant cycle of new faces replacing the old.

In years past we'd turn to guys like Spector, Simek, Wynne, Parkhurst, Califf, Bornstein. Rather than go back to them (some thankfully not, others wishfully so) there seems to be a desire to always test new blood--we're constantly trying new faces to the detriment of any lasting legacy.

Feels like the inverse of England.

3. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

That's a damning article. Not lacking in truth, though. I can't discern WTF is going on, despite the injuries.

Whilst I think the $hit is about to hit the fan, I sure as hell hope it doesn't. Failure at a World Cup is one thing, failure in qualifying is entirely unacceptable.

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

If that the case with Bocanegra, then Klinsmann should never be a coach...ever. I cant believe a former player could do that to a squad captain unless there was some serious behind the scene animosity going on.

I have said before that Boca needed to be phased out, but not like that. Incredible.

5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

This is a damning article in more ways than one. If JK was practicing Boca w/the starting 11 than pulled the plug the morning of the Honduras match that is beyond stupid. You bring him over to camp, explain what his new role is, then proceed, he's a pro and would've handled it like one.

In a sport where over half the squad rides the pine, it's easy to find players disgruntled, but there is a code of ethics involved in professional sports. You DO NOT talk to the media unless you are willing to put your name to it. To those players who talked, but hid: YOU ARE COWARDS!! GUTLESS, SPINELESS, and TEAM DESTROYERS. Seriously, we are doomed if we have those kind of players on the senior team. Have the cojones to either walk into the managers office and tell it to his face, or better yet in a team meeting, but scurrying around to the media is embarrassing. No lie, I read this and became increasingly :angry-fire: , at both JK for seemingly being clueless as a coach, and having chicken shits pulling on a US jersey.

As far as JK goes, I don't care if you have to pay him off, there is a helluva lot more money at stake if we don't make it to the WC than his salary. Unless the team gets at least 3 points out of the next two games, a change will probably be necessary.

6. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

This is very simple for me.

If we don't take the three points from the Bryan Ruiz's in Denver, then it follows we won't get anything at Azteca.

And if that happens, you might as well start looking for the new manager, because we won't qualify for Brazil and we won't see the core of this group in Russia.

Denver is HUGE!

7. Clevelandmo

Did US soccer know this article was coming? Were the German injured like Chandler, Williams, and Johnson really injured or were those excuses so they could stay home and an attempt could be made to rebuild commradery? Was Brian McBride brought in to save the day? I have to wonder.

Joe I hear what you are saying about the players talking, but if you were a player and you thought the situation had a high probability of preventing WC qualification wouldnt you be tempted to say something if asked by a reporter. Is breaking the code okay when you think it could mean the differences between qualifying and not qualifying? Can you really go into the coaches office and tell him his tactics need to be better, tell him he is scatterbrained. In other words, if you think the coach is incompetent, how do you go about talking with him about it. However, the part about the German players was bad and not the sort of thing that should have been discussed with reporters (although I dont remember if that bit was second hand info or straight from a player). I hope it can be repaired.

Also, we dont know for sure the players didnt try to talk with Klinsmann. Think Boca, think Jozy being left off the roster, think Donovan.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'd have to be released by my club, my orthopedist, my ophthamalogist, my cardiologist, and my guitar, but -- dammit -- if the useless Kraut needs me, I'm there. :lol:

9. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Brad Davis has been called in, which is probably good since our other left midfielder (Shea) admitted that his foot hasn't fully healed yet.

10. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Boca posted this on his facebook status page within the past couple of hours:

"During the last 18 months Jurgen has introduced a lot of new ideas to the team and has a vision of how he wants to grow the program. Every coach around the world has his own stle and methods. He has alsays been up front with players about where they stand and where he sees them going. Not every player is going to be happy with all of the decisions and methods, but he will tell hyou to your face where you stand. From a coach, that is the best thing you ask for. One of the greatest strengths of this team has always been our unity and spiriti, and we all remain committed to the cause of qualifying for the World Cup."

Obviously a response to the TSN article...

11. SoCalJoe

Johnson has been out the last two weeks for his club team, and I don't think anyone will argue that he's the best LB we have. Chandler was subbed out with an injury over the weekend, but WIlliams on the other hand I'm not sure about. In my mind he doesn't fit in if both Jones and Bradley are in the lineup anyways.

I don't have a problem with a player speaking their mind, in fact sometimes it's the only way to fix things, but it's never a good idea to do it in the media, and it's far worse if you do it without putting your name to it. I would hope that there exists the dynamic where the team has players-only meetings as well as an open door policy with the gaffer. You obviously can't walk in and call the guy a buffoon, but one of the veterans should have gone into the office, closed the door, and told him he made a mistake (especially if that was what happened in the Boca situation). Obviously there is a lot more work to do than just looking film of Costa Rica. This group had better air everything out and get on the same page in the next couple of days or we are in a world of hurt.

12. Clevelandmo

13. SoCalJoe

Thought I'd bump this back up from page 2 Jump

Thanks for posting Mo, only Tues. and there's been a whole lot of craziness to talk about.

14. Clevelandmo

Wow, that sounds like a captain. Doh :doh:

15. SoCalJoe

Gonna move away from the JK bashing for a second, and try to read the tea leafs and figure out what the Clueless One (wait no bashing :doh: ) has in mind for the back 4. From reading his interview, I think we'll see Edu moved in, Cameron moved to rb, and Morrow joining Omar on the back line.

An article about Morrow from a Cleveland Plain Dealer writer before the Canada game, where he doesn't expect to play much in the qualifiers (pre-injuriesz). Hope the kid grabs the opportunity with both hands.

ttp://www.cleveland.com/sports/index.ss ... ustin.html

16. Clevelandmo

Yes, even I am getting tired of it - NOT :lol: .

Joe do you mean Morrow, Omar, Edu, and Cameron, in terms of he'll use Edu as a CB? That's where Klinsmann used when they won at Azteca so I can see that for both games. For those concerned about Morrow (not that I blame you) he did play well in the All-star game against Chelsea so that's something in terms of the spot light, top iternational competition, etc. He also had a very good goal this past week so maybe he's on a roll.

Has anyone mentioned this is a must win and we havent beaten Costa Rica since 2005? Here's hoping they can shut down Bryan without injuring him. He'll have other games to shine.

17. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Dempsey has been named the captain for these two games.

18. SoCalJoe

Yep Mo on Edu at CB and Morrow out left. I could be wrong, but judging from his pic while he's only 5'9" he doesn't look slight ala Bornstein or Castillo.

Good for Clint on being named captain, we need him to be invested big time.

19. Clevelandmo

20. SoCalJoe

:clap: Thanks for finding that Mo. Gotta love Bradley, planning on getting the reverse throwback when it becomes available and that seals it with what name/number I'm going with. I understand Clint getting the armband, but wouldn't have minded Michael getting it either, total class. The apple doesn't far from the tree.