1. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Was Bradley content with the lead, did the US become complacent, did Canada possess the quality to come back, was it a fluke...really don't know. I would rather see the US still push forward in the second half and try to close the match out. 2-0 is a rough scoreline to have, because if one goal is scored the side is back in it and it is difficult to attack again after the other side has all the momentum of the goal.

2. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

Bob Bradley will be joining the ESPN2 crew on the phone sometime in the second half of the Houston v. Chivas USA game.

Should be interesting....

3. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I didn't enjoy having to root against Canada, but at the end of the day it was this side of the boarder that I grew up on and the USNAT's were my first soccer love.

I don't think the US really let off to be honest, Canada scored a good goal and then we went down to 10, thus Canada pushed. Bradley is a player, Bornstien struggled tonight, and Dempsey looked sloppy.

Ian Hume is the man. Got a love how he comes out there all cylinders and throws his body around 100% for the shirt. If Canada as a team can put together that kind of rough house attitude combined with the skill that they do have they could be serious business, a similar look to Australia. I love the grit, the gritty players. So many are "offended" by such play, but I love it. No reason Canada can't get in there for the 3rd or 4th world cup spot.

US v Mexico(barring bizarre events) final! Can't wait. Soldier Field was sold out for tonights Mexico game on a Thursday night against Guadeloupe, it most certainly will be again on Sunday.

4. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

hmm I must have misheard...now Bradley comments apparently.

5. Team_of_McBrides

Spencer...Hume was fantastic tonight and I completely agree in reference to the determination or "grit" as you described in your post. Players who simply leave everything they have on the field, physically impose themselves on the match and motivate their side. Well done to Canada. They got hosed.

Nice bit about the Aussies. Love the socceroos and how they played in the World Cup. More importantly I think Hiddnik motivated them to that level just as he did with PSV and South Korea before them. Wonder how the Russians will do with him at the helm.

6. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

OH...MY....GOD

Mexico just scored a ridiculous goal. Wow.

7. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

Sending off aside, Bradley did play well. Happy to eat my words. We definitely have a problem finishing teams off. Don't know why we have these let downs, but it's something we need to address in the lead up to 2010. 1-0 Mexico in the 70th minute. I hope they hold on so we can beat them again on Saturday.

8. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Course the other side of it is rough play and a red card every now and then. Some people want Brown out of Fulham for this reason. But to me this is exactly what we need. When you play with passion when you really put it out there for the shirt your going to boil over every now and then.

As for Australia I really believe its a formula that Canada can replicate. They have enough skill to play good ball at times, but to get to the next level they need another element to the their game. Passion and intimidation put to use by Australia is the best option for Canada in my mind. Dale Mitchell seems like a no nonsense type, just maybe he'll give it a try :D

btw It took Mexico until the 70' to score!

9. BC

BC New Member

Glad to see the US win as I'm going to the final on Sunday and I'd hate to watch Canada/Mexico when I could have watched US/Mexico. BUT, Canada did get screwed on that call. Of course, you should never be in a position where one call makes the difference anyway.

For the second match in a row, the US came out looking like the best team in the world. Okay, not really, but they came out strong and attacked like bastards. Great stuff! Canada was too good for us to shut them out though. I figured we'd need at least 2 goals to win.

Michael Bradley is fantastic. Dumb red card aside, he was tremendous tonight. The future of our midfield looks very bright.

I wasn't sure about starting Hedjuk but I'm glad we did! Man of the match for certain.

Again, defence had a few goofs but overall was pretty good. If we can iron out the miscommunication, we'll be in good shape.

Two big gripes: Keller needs to be off the USMNT. How can a veteran like him mishandle so many balls to his feet? We've got great keepers like Howard and Hanneman. Forget Keller. Second gripe, Eddie Johnson needs to go. I've had it. He looks uncomfortable in every USMNT match I've seen him in and he can't produce. Time to try other talent.

10. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

Keller played today because it was his 100th cap. Also, I am concerned about how the U.S. plays with a lead recently.

11. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Indeed, Canada is a fun club to watch and the Socceroo analogy is on the money. The U.S. absolutely need to develop a fighting character as shown by Canada described above. The absence of a bloodthirsty (let alone competent) striker hurts the U.S. in finishing teams, and runs. Hopefully the U21 striker contingent will provide the answer before 2010. Still, the Copa del Oro awaits and the words "U.S." and "final" look good together. Cheers.

12. Team_of_McBrides

Spencer...You happened to bring Brown up and I don't doubt his passion and grit on the field, but he happens to take matters too far sometimes. His style often times tends to be on the thuggish/dirty side if you will. Case in point...head butting Xabi Alonso. I value a hard tackled and winning the 50/50, but are his tactics of throwing elbows, tackling with his cleats up and his ridiculous two footed tackles from behind respectable?

IMO they are not. Prime example of a player that has grit, determination and desire is Jamie Carragher. I know I harp on his value from time to time, but there isn't a defender in the world I would rather have in my side than JC.

13. Team_of_McBrides

Like what Bradley has done for the side and won't undervalue that at all. Anyone for Guus Hiddnik though?

Personally, I believe he has just the style to take the USMNT to the next level. A force in world football.

14. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

15. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I would first like to thank Hejduk for validating my support for him in the beginning, despite his age. Having seen him play a number of times at the Crew, you can tell he has that drive to not give up and fight for EVERYTHING.

I also saw the same thing in young Bradley. And I wasn't mad with the red card. I think it is a good thing to see someone put all in to it for the full 90, which is something we seem to be lacking in some players. It'll suck to not have either of those two players in the final.

I am not worried about the midfield, though. Feilharber seems to be a good replacement. But I do worry about the backline. Once again I am FAR from impressed with Gooch, and Spector still hasn't done anything to win me off.

Man of the match? Tie between Hejduk and Bradley. I just hope Tinker Bob has a plan to replace these two in the final.

16. andyns

andyns New Member

Canada always gets fucked by the refs. That same guy did a real number on us in a game in 2004. I feel bad for Stephen Hart, he's a good guy, I had him as a youth coach.

17. BC

BC New Member

Couldn't agree more. Carragher is class through and through. Why can't Fulham hold on to the good ones?? :)

18. Team_of_McBrides

Fulham should of held onto Stevie Finnan as well. Classic professional, consistent and hard working. Again, any side would love to have him. When Liverpool came knocking though it was understandable for him to leave. A large club like that doesn't come around everyday.

19. jmh

jmh New Member

Wow, homer much? I can think of, like, 15 or 20.

20. Team_of_McBrides

Well jmh I would question your ability to pick a quality CB then. Carragher is the man who led the defense of Liverpool past Barcelona and Chelsea in the CL this past year and both of those sides have arguably the single best players in the game at scoring goals. (Ronaldinho and Drogba...could also include everyone in Barcelona's midfield) I use a recent example as not to bore you with his past accomplishments.

He is disgustingly underrated and forced to sit on the bench while Terry and Ferdinand are given the nod by a spineless manager. Anyone who watches the prem can apprecicate what Jamie Carragher. A hard working down to earth player, loyal to his club, a local "lad", hard tackling no nonsense defender and he knows exactly what it is like to be a fan in the stand. He is essentially one of us, a fan, who is blessed enough to have the ability to be on the field.