1. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Forgot to put my piece in about Twellman. He is not the answer to the USMNT striking woes. Sure he can score goals against lesser opposition, but once we reach the Copa America and even the World Cup I am hoping for other strikers to fill that void. Ideally hoping for young players like Davies and Altidore to step up. Twellman has been consistent thus far, IMO, he isn't our top choice for the striker position.

2. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I just hope Gooch doesn't play. I agree with said statements about his potentially harmful challenges. I think it is Demerit's turn to step up in there. I think he would work well with Boca in the back.

I'd also like to see some more of Parkhurst, as I have heard many good things about him. But I don't think this game is the time to take risks. Canada is playing too well to go with unproven players.

3. Team_of_McBrides

I'm not sold on Parkhurst yet. He has perform in a decent manner against poor opposition. It does trouble me how many times he made life hard on himself by getting caught out of position or not winning the 50/50...can't see him futuring in this match until the late stages.

4. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

My preference vs. Canada would be a 4-4-2

---------------Howard----------------
    ---Simek-DeMerit-Boca-Spector---
    Donovan-Mastro-Fielhaber-Beasley
    --------Dempsey---Twellman-------

During the attack, it turns into more of a 4-2-3-1. Mastro and Fielhaber hold the midfield, Donovan and Beas attack down the flanks, Twellman sits in the box and Dempsey improvises.

Gooch - too risky. Canada is good enough that one mistake on his part could be a goal for Canada.
    Bradley - I like his effort, but his timing is a bit off (fouls) and his passing needs to improve
    Bornstein - Good pace, but depends on it instead of positioning to defend and his passing needs some work.
    Clark - Doesn't play fast enough for this level (i.e., makes decisions too slowly)
    Parkhurst - Hasn't been bad, but DeMerit is better
    Ching - I only pick Twellman 55-45 over him. Neither is great, but both are decent roleplayers.
    Johnson - Ship him back to his team - he can't play at this level. He hasn't created any chances and we need that from this position.
    Rolston - Can't play at this level - IMO, he cost us the Panama goal

5. Team_of_McBrides

I would agree that talent wise that is the USMNT's best back line, but I have a feeling Bornstein will get the nod to start. He is familiar with DeRosario's style of play and that experience should help him, but Spector is still a better LB IMO.

6. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Why doesn't Fulham go after De Rosario? I think this guy is outstanding and would love to see him in the black and white. as for the canada match...i think Mastroeni would be a good choice becuase he's got some serious bite in midfield, and we need that w/ De Rosario and DeGuzman in the middle for Canada.

7. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

i like Andy's lineup

8. Team_of_McBrides

The US needs to utilize Rafa's plan of attack he used against Barcelona. Mascherano man marked Ronaldinho the entire match and the rest of the side continually closed down every pass. Very little time on the ball for Barca. I know...totally different style and level of play, but it could work.

The problem is that Guzman and DeRosario are quite effective if given time so I believe Feilhaber and Mastroeni should be given the task of marking those two the entire match. Essentially being midfield destroyers. Use the LB and RB to get forward and allow the wings to provide service into the box and run at defenders. Without Guzman and DeRosario bossing the midfield I doubt the Canucks will be affective.

9. jmh

jmh New Member

Gooch's form is really rough right now and he makes me nervous. He's practically guaranteed to pick up a yellow in any given match. But, he's in Borgetti's head and I want him in against El Tri, so I say sit him against Canada.

Mastro has been good since getting back into the lineup, and should do a good job against Canada's midfield. I'm nervous about Bradley so far at this level; I'd like to see Feilhaber on the field with Mastroeni instead.

I'm thinking maybe a 4-3-3/4-5-1 look. Ching alone up top - I think he's earned a start.

Howard
    Hejduk - DeMerit - Boca - Bornstein
    Mastroeni - Donovan - Feilhaber
    Dempsey - Ching - Beasley

Having Donovan and Dempsey in the lineup gives you flexibility to switch things around if you need, as well.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I think Andy's lineup is the best of the bunch; I also think that jmh is spot on about the need to rest Gooch against Canada and start him against Mexico -- not that I'm assuming anything.

Good analysis, gang

11. USSOCCER10

USSOCCER10 New Member

Kickflip where is Boca in that lineup? The US needs 90 from him if they expect to win. Also Johnson and Twellmen up top its gonna be touch to score. We need Dempseu up top untill Convey comes back. I wouldnt bench Beasley now hes flowing.

12. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

yep...agreed. i think we need to get Beasley involved as much as possible because I think his pace will give Canada fits!

13. Team_of_McBrides

I don't see another valid option on the left besides Beasley at this time. He is the total package right now and even have tracked back from time to time. No one else on the left can get forward like he can, but he needs to work on that right foot...

14. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

Agreed on Beasley. Hey, anyone know of a Premiership team that could use an affordable, pacey left winger who can score and deliver a nice cross?

I like Andy's line up for a 4-4-2 as well and think that's our best formation and best use of our talent.

If we go for the Christmas Tree I like:

-----------------------------------Howard----------------------

----------Simek---------DeMerit---------Bocanegra-------Spector------

----------------Feilhaber----------Mastro-----------Bradley-----------------

-------------------------Donovan------------Beasley--------------------

-----------------------------------Dempsey-----------------------------

15. Team_of_McBrides

Hmmmm...a pacey left winger that can deliver a quality cross, run at defenders, link up well with teammates and offer a decent left footed shot...Nope, nobody in particular comes to mind. Any suggestions?

16. BC

BC New Member

I will be there. Bought tickets a long time ago. We better beat Canada!

Agree with those above on Gooch. He's not in form right now and needs a game off. Overall, I get the feeling our team is starting to come together. We've got great keepers, good defenders (just need to gel a bit more), a pretty darn good midfield but we have NO TRUE STRIKERS. This is the final piece of the puzzle. If we had one or two guys who could finish with quality consistently and who had the hunger to score, we'd be a much better team. I'm sure we will find that player someday but right now, guys like Twellman, Ching and Johnson, as much as I like the work ethic of the first two, aren't getting the job done.

17. Team_of_McBrides

The US at least has an abundance of attacking midfield options. It could be worse. IMO and not sure if anyone else would agree but the US may just have the best keepers in the world...Hahnemann, Friedel (retired from international duty), Keller and Howard. Fantastic choices and Seitz is coming up through the U20's ranks as well.

Just my opinion, but the US is loaded in that spot.

18. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Agree w/all in dropping Gooch for DeMerit. Can't afford to blow all the chances we've been blowing. Hope for BC's sake that it's not a Gaudalupe v Canada final. Gotta feeling this one's going to PKs.

19. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

any way we can talk Big Mac into coming back onto the national team? :lol:

20. Team_of_McBrides

That would be fatastic to see him in the red, white and blue shirt again. It is sad to think he will never do so again. The US went from Wynalda to McBride now who is going to be next to stamp out the striker position as their own?