1. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

The semi-final is about 2 days away, and here is an experimental lineup I've been thinking about:

--------------------Howard------------------
    --Spector----DeMerit-----Parkhurst----Simek--
    --Dempsey--Feilhaber--Donovan--Mapp------
    ------------Twellman-----Johnson-------------

Unfortunately, we don't have a good right midfielder except Dempsey, and Donovan plays better as an attacking mid imho. So, I think Dempsey should go play on the right wing until Convey or at the very least Cherundalo are back in action.

Hejduk and Onyewu raise my blood pressure too much when they play.

My actual lineup prediciton:

--------------------Howard------------------
    --Spector----Onyewu-----Boca----Bornstein--
    --Donovan--Feilhaber--Bradley--Beasley------
    ------------Dempsey-----Johnson-------------

2. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

KP89's thoughts support the reason I think the U.S. should employ a 4-3-2-1 alignment against Les Hosers. Essentially get rid of a far right midfielder in exchange for Dempsey as a roving mid, alongside Donovan. Leave Feilhaber, Beasley and (-Bradley is headed to the U20s World Cup, so I doubt he'll feature, instead insert player here-) behind Donovan and Deuce, as Deuce has shown he can play area to area in this tourney, I say let him roam. Up top is Johnson, if healthy - if not, then it's a crapshoot between Twellman and Ching, with one substituting the other in the 2nd half appropriately.

I'd love to see DeMerit shifted out to the right, just so he could be in the squad alongside Boca and Gooch, the U.S. could compensate on the left with an advancing/attack minded LB (Simek, Spector,etc.)...anyway, now is not the proper time to experiment. However unlikely, I 'd like Spector, Onyewu, Boca, and Simek in the back four. Howard in goal.

No matter the so-called U.S. "improvement" in footie, I'm still stoked to see the U.S. in the semi-finals of a tournament! USA! USA! USA!

3. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

Yeah, I've been wondering about going back to the 4-3-2-1 that "hosed" El Salvador, but Canada's midfield has been a FORCE in this tournament, which is why I'd like to see a 4-4-2 in there. Of course, with the right combination of players, a 4-3-3 might work beautifully. Maybe a Clark-Feilhaber central pairing with Donovan out on the right would be good.

Also, I would SERIOUSLY consider putting in Parkhurst or DeMerit in for Gooch. Gooch could be a great player, but Canada is hot right now, and Onyewu's positioning and reckless challenges are going to give me a heart attack one of these days.

4. nevzter

I agree that Gooch is an accident waiting to happen these days, and I think he's on the cusp of either a great performance, or absolutely, horrible meltdown, either way it won't be erratic!

I would love to see DeMerit step into the back four as he should find his way onto the pitch more for the U.S. Hopefully with another year at Watford under his belt, he can nail a spot down early for 2010.

In the meantime, KP89, keep the defibulator handy... I agree Canada has looked good and the match has got the makings of a real puckerer!

5. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

I believe the 4-3-2-1 lineup would be a good choice to throw at the Canucks. The midfield will be clogged up thus not allowing the good attacking midfielders the Canucks have to get forward. Dempsey alongside Donovan in the attacking mid positions poses a great threat and that will again make the Canadian midfielders track back.

I believe the US goes in as solid favorites for this match, but I give the Canadians more of a punchers chance to beat the US.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

the key to Canada is shutting down DeRosario. There's been a lot of talk on this site and on the offal about which American is most ready for Europe, but I think we all know that the most talented home grown product in the MLS is NOT from the US, but a black Canadian midfielder. If we can control him, we'll be fine.

For that reason, I think we need to foget about Feilhaber and Bradley and get Mastroeni in there. I don't think he's our best at the position, but I know that nobody is going to dominate him.

7. Team_of_McBrides

I would feel more comfortable with Feilhaber or Mastroeni shadowing/marking DeRosario for the match. Bradley has shown his incosistency at times and DeRosario is one individual in this tournament that could make the US pay dearly. Also, I don't trust Gooch to start the match. DeMerit and Bocanegra would be far better together in the CBs and forget about Parkhurst.

Think DeRosario is off to Europe at the end of the season Don? Would be great to see him in Europe, but I would miss his creative flare that he brings to the MLS.

8. nevzter

Good point, HD, but I like Feilhaber in this match to play, and at a high level, because he's a kid that can begin to fill Reyna's zapatos grandes. But, if Feilhaber is dropped, then in the 4-3-2-1, I would go with Mastroeni and Clark for the Clampdown. DeMerit in the back, along with the midfield, can shut down DeRosario. If Deuce, Donovan and Mr.X are up top, that will create just enough offense and the U.S. could afford to go defense heavy in the back.

9. Team_of_McBrides

Wonder if they would move Boca to RB and then Onyewu to partner DeMerit in the CB spots? Doubt it, but it is an option.

10. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

If we go to a 4-3-2-1, my best guess for a lineup would be:

Howard
    Spector DeMerit Boca Simek
    Clark Mastroeni Feilhaber
    Donovan Beasley
    Dempsey

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I think DDR should be in Europe making mega-bucks this year. I know that MLS doesn't want to lose him, but he's not a kid any more. If justice is served, he'll go in the January window. I'd like to see him have 4 or 5 good years at top quid in the EPL.

Anybody else other than me think that CONCACAF will be stonger if the Mexico/Costa Rica/USA axis is expanded to include Panama and Canada?

Gonna miss the semi-final match because I'm flying back home from the Twin Cities Thursday everning. GO GET SOME CANUKS!

12. nevzter

Nice, I'd like to see that trotted out Thursday.

13. Team_of_McBrides

Don...Isn't Spencer in the Twin Cities?

I am sure there has been clubs asking about DeRosario, but to be honest I haven't read anything linking him to a European league. No idea what is taking the rest of the world to catch on. He is class and Europe is soon to find out about it.

About the CONCACAF axis being expanded with Panama and Canada I would greatly welcome it. Anything to improve the level of play and prep these nations for the World Cup and Copa.

14. nevzter

I too, believe more CONCACAF countries have produced better footie than previously shown. The U.S. performance isn't due entirely to supposed U.S. incompetence. However off topic, the MLS needs to get into the Copa Libertadores before it will achieve greater respect.

15. Team_of_McBrides

I believe the MLS will try the "Super Liga" and if that doesn't get the results or coverage they desire then the Copa Libertadores is the next step.

I think "Super Liga" is what it is called?

16. nevzter

I've heard of the Super Liga this summer and totally forgot about it. Therein lies the problem. La Liga de Mexico is in the Libertadores, MLS should step up. Jeez, we've hijacked Canada v. USA and steered it to Muskogee, my apologies.

17. Team_of_McBrides

I believe this is the first year of the Super Liga, so I wouldn't expect it to take North and South America by storm. It would be a wise decision for the MLS to enter the Libertadores, but that is quite some ways down the road.

18. BoilerBen

BoilerBen New Member

Twellmen better start… I think he is so close to being that constant scoring threat the MNT has been looking for. Also I’m excited to see an all EPL back line. (Spector, Gooch, Boca, DeMerit) Why haven’t we seen this yet??

After we beat the Canucks, anybody going to the final in Chi-town??

19. Team_of_McBrides

The reason we haven't seen that backline is due to getting a number of players time on the field and matching up well with opponents. That backline is relatively slow in comparison to a RB of Hejduk and a LB of Bornstein.

Spencer said he was going to the final...or at least I think that is what he intends to do.

20. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

Although I like Twellman's movement and instincts...his performance against Panama, in a big game, in his home stadium, makes me wonder if we shouldn't be looking elsewhere.