US MNT v. Costa Rica & Honduras

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Clevelandmo, May 26, 2009.

1. BarryP

BarryP New Member

RE: Re: RE: US MNT v. Costa Rica & Honduras

Starting for the Red, White and Blue

Howard

Wynne, Gooch, Boca, Beasley

Pablo, Bradley, Torres

Dempsey, Jozy, Donovan

I certainly did not expect this on the road! Go for it Bob.

2. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

RE: Re: RE: US MNT v. Costa Rica & Honduras

Horrible start.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Horrible finish, also. Can we please, PLEASE, send Wynne and Beasley home?

There were only three players that can walk off the field with any pride: Howard, Torres, and Davies. And please, let's not talk about how difficult it was to play on the pitch. The guys in red played some brilliant one- and two-touch football all night.

I haven't seen us that outmatched since Italia '90. I'se regusted.

4. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

That was ugly. I enjoyed Lalas calling their performance garbage-it was...and that's being generous. And the "best" player in the first half is subbed at the start of the second - did Torres pick up a knock? No. 8, I'm especially looking at you because I KNOW you are much better than that.

Oh well, back again on Saturday and I hope to see more than a team of eunuchs in the shirt at Chicago.

5. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Pathetic and embarrasing.

6. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

I can't find anything positive to say about that game. It was just awful to watch.

7. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

It was SO bad, I cant even point out that not having Frankie made a difference. though it might have.

Look... this is the biggest proof possible that venues make a huge difference. Not even Azteca has the effect on US that Saprissa does.

Crew Stadium / Mexico.. inside out.

Oh.. and Marvel Wynne is Not Ready for Prime Time, but that's beside the point.

8. BarryP

BarryP New Member

How about ... "Its over!"

9. BarryP

BarryP New Member

That is the best match summary I have read so far Christian.

10. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Everyone seems to be curt in their responses but this needs some serious investigation. Last night went beyond a "bad day at the office". Here's my thoughts in no particular order:

1) Was Bradley not present at the El Salvador match? Did he not see DMB get scorched time and again on the flank?!?! So why in the world would he start him again there? Granted there were injuries, but if EL SALVADOR made you look silly what do you think Costa Rica is going to do?!? Its so mind boggling.

2) LD is officially Jimmy Bullard. He runs around, gives up the ball, and kicks his deadballs directly at the wall. Except Jimmy never scored meaningless goals.

3)Speaking of Fulham...isn't the defensive organization night and day from Roy's Army? God bless that man...

4)Does the USMNT meet in the parking lot before each road game? First El Salvador, now this? How many passes were strung together all match, 4?

5) We cant blame the pitch but it does need to be addressed as practically every one of our players were slipping and falling down throughout the entire match. Its hard to play footy when you can't stay on your feet.

6) How much you want to bet Gulati was phoning Klinsmann during the match? If the Confederations Cup turns out to be a disaster (which oh btw starts next sunday and really, does anyone have ANY idea who the starting XI even is?), I really think Bradley may be given the boot.

11. EricD

EricD New Member

I am so bummed with that "effort" last night. How can professional players not be able to touch the ball well throughout the match. It was as if the ball was super bouncy on top of a hard surface (I agree it was a hard surface). The only thing I can accept is the additional pace on the ball that our guys could not get to in a through or whatever. But the first touches were horrible, especially in the first half. My thought on that type of surface either play defensive or load the team with the best ball handling players.

I am not sure what Torres did to get subbed off. I know that he was not a defensive presence, but I do not expect Sacha to come in and play defense. Torres has a nice possession game. We have a problem at outside back that has to be solved. If Wynne had some touch it would be nice. I just do not like Beas at left back - too soft. I am not sure if Deuce is into the national team half as much as FFC (the attempt to catch the ball is not a good idea that close to the endline - why risk a bad interpretation by a ref). He does not seem to show the same effort. I liked what Adu brought to the game in his limited minutes (on that surface, I thought Adu would excel - and he did control the ball well - and he was unselfish). I like Davies too. He had a nice showing. I am not sure it is a good idea to kick a guy on the ground when it is known that you are suspended in Sweden right now for an elbow.

There were some nice exchanges in the midfield in the latter part of the game, but not enough. The game seemed to stop at the midfield because there was no offensive threat. I would expect more offensive threat in a 4-3-3 formation.

Their game seemed to penetrate through our defense with ease - that second goal was a scouts dream. I think I was most bummed when Herrera did that turn on Bradley in the right corner just outside the box and took it in to score in the near post. Where was the inside help?

Overall, I am just bummed out. We better regroup and have a strong showing in Chicago. If I was Bob, anyone that I thought did not show heart is on the pine. I would make sure Davies and Adu are in either the starting lineup or in the rotation (at a reasonable subbing time). I am afraid that Clark may get the nod due to Bradley's yellow accumulation.

There is more to say, but...

12. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

A deflating loss to say the least. Costa Rica was better than the US in every aspect of the game. Every opportunity they had going forward looked as if they were going to score.

Blame the result on the field, atmosphere or lack of cohesion in the side. Any way you cut it, we were dominated. Now onto a decent Honduras side. Hopefully the US can rebound and earn a convincing result.

Just a question though... Why take out Torres for Kljestan? Torres was fantastic on the ball, but a few times his final pass or vision let him down. Kljestan on the other hand is just mediocre in my opinion. He brings little if anything to the side. I shouldn't single out just Kljestan as poor. Bradley, Donovan, Beasley, Wynne, Gooch and Boca all had a poor showing.

I hope Saturday brings us a better result.

13. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Roy's analysis that Fulham had "too many similar players" when he first arrived at Fulham is what kept coming to mind as I watched the USMNT play last night. Demspey, Donovan, Altidore, Kljestan, Bradley, Pablo and to a lesser extent Torres all want to play through the middle of the pitch and cosistenly left the wings for Costa Rica acres of area to play in and they exploited it well. I know our fullbacks played poorly but our midfield was also utterly outplayed last night. Somewhere and somehow Bradley has to find some wings to give this team width. IMO only three players showed any calmness and attacking awareness. Two of those came off the bench and one was subbed off at the half. Outside of Torres, Davies and Adu nobody showed any sign of spark or orginality in their play.

14. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

The announcers said Bradley was subbing off guys with yellows. Don't know if that pertained to Torres or not.

Don't have much else to add to what's been said about last night's match. The one bright side is that the Chicago crowds are usually some of our best, so Saturday should have a good atmosphere if nothing else.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

One consistent problem is that too many of our players at skill positions aren't getting any playing time at their clubs -- Beasley, Adu, Altidore. I also think the slating of Gooch and Boca is over the top. The problem in defense was clearly on the wings.

One point I forgot to make was that the website and the television said we were playing a 4-3-3, but it was actually a 4-5-1 with no wide players until Adu came in. A five man midfield with no wingers is just idiotic.

16. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

What about a 5 man midfield comprised solely of traffic cones dressed in white shirts?

I sure hope every squad member's butt was too sore to comfortably sit during the flight home last night. The team deserved an ass-chewing and I hope Bradley delivered it.

17. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I cant believe I watched the whole thing (said in pepto bismol commercial voice)

18. Jensers

Jensers New Member

I am watching this right now on the DVR. Boy am I glad I didnt decide to watch this last night when I started it at 10:30 and my wife said: "uhhhh... No."

Embarrassing is not a strong enough term to describe the result.

I feel sick.

Oh boy - another PK goal for Lando. Gack.

What sucks is that this is so much like what we saw in the last World Cup - looked like strangers and totally toothless on the attack.

I like Bradley, but it may be time for a fresh look from someone outside of the system.

19. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Congrats to Costa Rica. They played well and were the better team.

20. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

There's the timmy we've (I've) been missing.

"Calling Dr. Klinsmann. Dr. Klinsmann please report to Bradenton..."