US Men's National Team v. China Recap...

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Team_of_McBrides, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Ahhhhh, the first studdering post. There is a first for everything.

2. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Ahh I don't know how that happened, now it won't let me delete it!

3. Team_of_McBrides

No worries. I guess you are just reemphasizing your point. Touche'

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I think the emergence of the young players under Bradley -- Feilhaber, Bornstein, Bradley -- shows that the immediate post McBride-Reyna squad or the 2006 WC will be the dip in the road. Once those three, Nguyen [another Texas stud], Dax McCarty [who impresses me more than any of the recent U-20 graduates], Freddy, Altidore, Jemal Johnson, Johann Smith, AND Eddie Johnson become the core of the POST post McBride-Reyna squad, I think we'll really start competing.

If we can keep these kids healthy, mix in a healthy dose of established stars -- Beas, Dempsey, Boca, Gooch, Donovan -- and the tweeners -- Simek, Spector, DeMerit, Abe Thompson, Cooper are a few -- then I think we have potentially a better group of US players than we've ever had ready to go to a WC. The key is to get as many of these young kids playing overseas as possible and -- can't stress this too much -- to leave Bradley safe and secure as the boss until after South Africa 2010.

and, T_of_C, I don't care how people spell -- just couldn't resist that case of dramatic irony in life.

5. Team_of_McBrides

Don your post is 100% spot on. Couldn't agree with you more and especially the point of getting these young kids abroad to play. As much as it would benefit the MLS to have these young talents playing in the league it most certainly wouldn't benefit the players and would ultimately stunt their growth as players.

This USMNT squad is looking better and better with each appearance and the 2010 WC in South Africa is the most excited I have been for a world cup in ages. I believe if these young players continue to progress that we have a great chance of at least returning to the quarter finals as we did in 2002. (We got hosed, how could Hugh Dallas not call a penalty on that hand ball, damn Scots)

And Don...I was just giving you a hard time about the spelling. I recognize the irony and when I look back at the post if you wouldn't of mentioned anything I would be worried you were having a dip in form.

6. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

hmmmm. Did I miss the mention and congratulations that............

Boca was Captain!!!

Awesome show of respect to someone who has quitely earned it. And, I really think Fulham could do much worse than inquiring about Gooch at a reduced price to pair these two together as Fulham's back-up (for the present) back line. But that's just my little fantasy scenario.

7. Team_of_McBrides

Gooch wouldn't be a bad back up and future first choice option. At the least he would put pressure on Knight to perform and improve on his form.

It is always great to have options and who knows, it could be a hidden blessing that he fell flat on his face with the barcodes. Definitely is available at a far cheaper price.

8. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

9. Team_of_McBrides

Chang didn't cover much that hasn't already been said on this thread already. Yes, Boca looked suspect at times and was bailed out by Bornstein and he didn't play as well as we expected.

I believe Chang would of been hard on the USMNT regardless of the result. If the US dominated China and won 6-1 he would of wrote about how it was to be expected and they should win by that margin with a weaker opponent and since we won 4-1 he is negative in the approach and begins to pick apart the side.

I saw a lot of positives from the side and with all of the top Euro clubs playing qualifiers the US got the opponent they could. Sweden will be a true test and Catalonia won't be bad either. I am hoping to be at the Sweden match a well to see the USMNT play in a hostile environment. Should be quite an experience.

10. Meggrs

Meggrs New Member

And the offal has dubbed him the new "Captain America."
    When I first saw the posting, I was thinking, "They've brought Claudio over?!?!"

Guess I need to get with the program. :)

Boca was all smiles after the game-- he apparently had a decent amount of family/friends in the stands to see his captain's debut., and he seemed really happy with the result. It only struck me as odd because he doesn't smile that frequently that I've seen.

And props to Gooch for being the guy who initiated the fan appreciation around the field post-game. He was the first to start it off, and you could see him calling out to the other guys to get with the program.

One way or another, these games are about testing new guys and developing leaders on the field, well in advance of 2010. In that regard: mission accomplished.

I need to go read Chang's article, but I have the feeling that while the negatives may be true, there were some nice things to be found in the game as well, IMO.

11. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I need to read that also. I didn't think Boca played poorly at all. I seem to recall him winning more headers than Gooch, and I think the armband suited him well. He's a tough little guy.

Could Chang's opinion at all be tainted by the fact that "Chang" is her/his last name? Not being racist, just curious.

12. Team_of_McBrides

Chang didn't make any real vital points that anyone who watched the match didn't already know.

Boca was much better in the air than Gooch. Gooch continues to baffle me that a man of his size chooses not to leap to win the ball. He simply believes his size will do just fine and doesn't both with winning the 50/50 ball in the air. Shame, it would help him become a better all around player.

13. Meggrs

Meggrs New Member

I can confirm that Boca ABSOLUTELY won more headers than Gooch. I had mentioned before the game that watching them as a cominbation was a specific intent of mine, and I actually said during the game "Will someone please teach Gooch how to go up for a ball?"

He doesn't leap, and he mistimed several headers that should have been his by size rights alone. Carlos, on the other hand, got his head on EVERY ball I saw him go up for. I was bummed about Gooch, but that may indeed come with more focused coaching.

Of course, that is one of the specific reasons I hate on Zat Knight on a frequent basis. I really really want to see Gooch playing better than Zat. And I want to see Carlos making fewer defensive mistakes.

Maybe I'm too much of an optimist at this point, but I believe that both those things could be accomplished, and we'd (USMNT, that is) have a solid defensive CB line for the next few years. Time will tell.

14. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Can you expand into the general reasons also?

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Before we low-rate Gooch by comparison, remember that Boca is masterful in the air. I remember Arena saying during an earlier friendly that when Boca was in MLS it was hard to remember him NOT dominating the aerial part of the game in any match. I'm always comfortable when I know that Boca is the one to deal with a ball in the air for FFC -- in either box.

About the captain thing, it may not last. I think Boca is Bradley's 5th different captain. I think that Donovan will get the armband when the tourney opens.

16. Team_of_McBrides

Odds are Bradley will hand the captains armbad off to Donovan, even though it probably isnt the wisest choice.

Both Gooch and Boca had problems against China. Neither one was the no nonsense defender that allowed nothing to get by them. Boca did well in the air, but who scored off their loan opportunity to head the ball in....Gooch not Boca.

So there is promise for Gooch. Just hope he chooses to use his head more. Both heading the ball in the 50/50 times and using that spungy things some call a brain.

17. Meggrs

Meggrs New Member

Heh, GBFC. Mostly that guys of size who don't know how to use it to their advantage frustrate the hell out of me. You may not be fast, but you gotta be accurate, strong, and well-positioned to make up for it. Use your inherent weapons!

RE: USMNT, I certainly don't mind the armband making the rounds. I feel like no matter what, these next few years are out chance for experimentation and development. And I agree that both Boca and Gooch have plenty of room for improvement. I just want to see it over the next three years!

Can't wait for this Thursday. The next two months of tournaments will help make up for my EPL withdrawal.

18. Team_of_McBrides

Amen to that.

19. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

Just saw this. Bornstein is one speedy dude, it's almost freakish how fast he looks. Maybe it is because he is small, but I noticed it in the Mexico game too.

I say let him keep playing there, he's been doing a good job so far from what I've seen.

20. Team_of_McBrides

I completely agree. His pace bailed out the CB's a number of times. It is kind of sad that the USMNT's CBs still need that help, but hopefully they will build that chemistry in the Gold Cup and be ready for the Copa America when the time comes.

Bornstein...quality and excited to see him play again.