Upcoming Starting Lineup

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by drichey, Feb 12, 2008.

1. drichey

drichey New Member

How about this? It looks more like a formation Mourinho might use, but we have to do something different (2-1-2-1-4). Essentially two triangles...( I don't think this will turn out looking the same once I post it)...

Johnson McBride
    Dempsey

Murphy Davies
    Bullard

Bocanegra Stefanovic Hangeland Hughes

K Keller (if healthy)

I'm fresh out of any other ideas. This line up would allow Dempsey to pass or pentrate and dish off to Johnson or direct headers to McBride in the box, but still be able to attack in the air when balls are crossed in by Davies, Murphy, and even Bullard.

My fingers are crossed... I still haven't seen a decent performance from Kamara or Healy for forever, if ever.
    -D

2. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

Hodgson likes to use attacking wingbacks, so I don't think we'll see Bocanegra and Hughes at LB and RB (though both could deputise if needed). Right now, I see Hangeland, Andreasen, Bullard and maybe Davies as locks. At the other positions, we have a lot of choices, and who we use will depend a lot on matchups.

I think we'll see mostly 4-5-1 away and a diamond 4-4-2 at home:

4-5-1 version:
    --------------------Niemi--------------------
    ------------Baird--------Hangeland-------
    Omozusi-----------------------Konchesky
    -----------Andreasen----Murphy----------
    Davies----------Bullard---------Dempsey
    -----------------Nevland--------------------

4-4-2:
    --------------------Niemi--------------------
    ------------Baird--------Hangeland-------
    Omozusi-----------------------Konchesky
    -----------------Andreasen-----------------
    -----Davies-------------------Murphy-----
    --------------------Bullard-------------------
    ------------McBride---Nevland------------

I suspect that Hodgson sees Eddie Johnson as somewhat of a prototype forward for his system, and that he'll be introduced slowly to into the lineup.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

So you think Baird showed enough against 'boro to call the partnering CB position his? Hmm. Could be.

I like both your lineups, rkirkdo. I believe that the versatility that Boca and Volz have shown has pretty much put paid to their being first choice for anything but bench. As a matter of fact, if you have both on the bench, you've filled both defensive and defensive midfield positions, and can have two attackers on the bench in both cases.

We obviously need two attackers on the bench. If Roy is counting on an endless series of clean sheets, we're in trouble when we go behind early as we did last Saturday.

4. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

I'm not ready to hand him a regular starting spot just yet, but he showed me enough to convince me that he can be in the CB rotation. I'd say either Baird or Hughes would be fine for most opponents, but maybe swap in Bocanegra, Stefanovic, or Kallio against teams with bigger strikers.

5. jlough

jlough New Member

I did not see the Boro match to see how Baird played. In the Villa match, he started off well but completely fell apart. I made a point of following him most of the match because of his good start and he disappointed. One newspaper gave him a 3 rating in the Villa match. He must do well in practice because Roy keeps him in the lineup. Was he better in the Boro match because he was in Central Defense. I think he has talent but continues to make bad decisions with the ball and gets out of postition on the outside. Sort of like the physically gifted QB that throws interceptions. Any thoughts? We seem do have enough Central Defenders.

6. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

As I have said earlier...he will stick with the 4-5-1 on the road and possibly 4-4-2 when were at home or need to get goals. As such, this is the lineup I would like to see and feel most comfortable with...

4-5-1:

-------------------Niemi--------------------

Stalteri--Hughes--Hangeland--Konchesky

-Dempsey---------------------Davies-----
    -----------Bullard------Kamara------------

------------------McGod---------------------

Bench: Keller, Volz, Bocanegra, Nevland, Johnson

What I would prefer 4-4-2:

-------------------Niemi--------------------

Stalteri--Hughes--Hangeland--Konchesky

-Dempsey---------------------Davies-----
    ------------------Bullard--------------------

------------Nevland---McGod--------------

Bench: Keller, Volz, Bocanegra, Kamara, Johnson

I just want to score goals and want to see McGod out there knocking balls down to either Nevland or Johnson. Also I love when dempsey attacks on the right side, he has got great skill and strength on the ball and will be able to showcase it from out there.

COYW!!!

7. jmh

jmh New Member

Re: RE: Upcoming Starting Lineup

I'm not sure I agree with these lineups, but the formatting is excellent. 8)

8. psand22

psand22 Member

RE: Re: RE: Upcoming Starting Lineup

I think RH will stick with the 4-5-1 for the majority of games, but with our postion in the table, he's going to have to be offensive and put in another attacking player.

I just wonder, when Johnson and Litmanen will get some play?