uh-oh! New New Madrid quake coming?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Nov 28, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Arkansas small quakes.. pre-shocks or just an adjustment?

The New Madrid quake was the worst ever in the 48! And would be again.

wiki

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Edit out your question mark, 'fog. It's going to happen. It's only a matter of time before the fault does its shimmy trick. Will the Mississippi flow upstream as it did early in the 19th century? What will be the human and economic cost this time around?

Of course, it's only a matter of time before the Pacific NorthWest is buried under opaque glass, and it's only a matter of time before most of the coastal areas around the world are under water. My thing is, there's not a lot we can do about it, so let's just root for Fulham and move on.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Of course, the '?' refers to IMMINENT occurrance. But you knew that.

Of course the quake WILL happen, the question is how soon. Just as the seas will rise before we're blanketed again with ice, between which the asteroid hits.. topped off by the sun going nova.

Where does polar precession figger in there? dunno... but my guess is sooner rather than later.

Bottom line though is the quake will come first, whatever. If in five years, that will surprise few that know about it.

4. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

If (when) this happpens I just hope I'm not at my house. It was built in the late 1800's and I doubt it would make it through a big earthquake.