UEFA Champions League 2012-13

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by SoCalJoe, Sep 18, 2012.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Barry has got the concacaf CL thread up and rolling, so time to start the European one as group plays start.

Heavyweights Citeh away to Real Madrid. Will the pretty boy be too 'sad' to celebrate a goal if he scores? :cry:

Have the Anderlecht at AC Milan volume turned up and had to go into the room to verify the player the announcer was calling KLEE-ah-Shtan was indeed Sasha Kljestan. No score at half, but from the sounds of it the Belgian side are giving them a go. I can't imagine too many US outfield players ever starting a CL group match (Reyna at Rangers off the top of my head, maybe Gooch w/Standard Liege), so good for Sasha.

2. shinerbockguy

shinerbockguy New Member

Sasha played well the first half, mediocre the second. At one point in the second half, he had three straight giveaways (in the offensive half thank goodness). Anderlecht looked better than Milan the first half, Milan had the upper hand down the stretch. Still - a big away draw for the Belgian side, and Sasha had a pretty good game overall.

Had pic-in-pic going with the Sheik City/Madrid game - second half was electric. Ronaldo looked less sad after netting the game winner - though he didn't seem in a hurry to celebrate with Marcelo (who was the first to arrive). Love me the group of death.

3. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Yes, good for Sacha, and good for us (US). The more, the merrier (and better results down the road).

4. shinerbockguy

shinerbockguy New Member

Hoping to see Parkhurst start his team's game as well.

5. jumpkutz

:text-+1:

6. shinerbockguy

shinerbockguy New Member

I didn't get to watch Germany Jones and Schalke - but reports are that he played very well, controlled the MF, and of course picked up the obligatory yellow card. An away win for Schalke is a good start - they have a good chance to get out of that group. Glad to see Jones become a key figure in that team again.

7. jumpkutz

I guess we'll have to accept the fact that he's a mainstay in Herr Klinsmann's lineup. Just hope he doesn't misbehave in a crucial situation before or during 2014 World Cup, assuming the best. We'll have to pretend he's Casey Ryback..."Because if I goddamn can't control you, I might as well support you. Correct?"

8. shinerbockguy

shinerbockguy New Member

One bad man.
    Pirlo next in line as "The Most Interesting Man in the World."
    Stay thirsty, my friends.....
    [​IMG]

9. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

:clap:

Nice job.

10. SoCalJoe

Good news is Michael Parkhurst went the full 90 yesterday. Bad news is his team (Nordsjaelland) got boat raced by Chelski 0-4.

He's a regular in the char, but kinda of surprised a certain Fulham/Celtic supporter hash't done a drive by 'MON the HOOPS!!' has Celtic actually won an away match.

11. jumpkutz

Dortmund got screwed on another hand ball call today. Hart was the only reason Citeh was even still in the game, but that was cruel. And CR7 is still a brilliant arse. And Balotelli is just stupid.

12. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

A City fan called into talksport and was saying how losing De Jong was the reason the looked flat and overall just not as good as last year. Dortmund ran there socks off and Hart had a golden horseshoe up his arse. Sad they couldn't take all three

13. SoCalJoe

Anderlecht got smacked around at home by an in form Malaga 3-0. Sacha came on for the second and was able to give the home side their first shot on goal.

Schalke drew 2-2, but Jermaine Jones didn't even suit up, so not sure what injury he is dealing with.

Bendzema's bicycle kick for Madrid, and Van Persie's flick for ManUre were both in Sportscenter's top 10.

14. SoCalJoe

Skipped ahead to the 2nd half of the Arsenal v Schalke match late last night on the dvr and if the US had that Jermaine Jones we would all be happy. He was in control, a rock in the center, provided great cover, and then had a fantastic run on the counter and helped set up Schalke's second goal.

Gooch got on the field for the final few minutes for Malaga as they beat his old club AC Milan.

Manchester City is rock bottom in the "Group of Death".. :lol:

15. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Malaga has a rock solid defense. It says a lot that they wanted Gooch and if he can work his way into that starting line-up that is good news for the USA. I know most of you have given up on him, but I havent.

16. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Also, Michael Parkhurst got named to the Champions League team of the week for his performance vs Juventus at center defense.
    http://www.soccerbyives.net/2012/10/parkhurst-named-to-champions-league-team-of-the-week.html

17. jumpkutz

18. SoCalJoe

:clap: Sacha assisted on the match winning goal for Anderlecht. His name appeared on gamecast in numerous occasions.

19. SoCalJoe

Somewhere the elusive WhitesBhoy has to be beeming; Celtic 2 Barcelona 1 :eek:bscene-drinkingbuddies:

20. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Did anyone else catch that embarassment of a goal by Adriano against FC Nordsjaelland? What a jerk.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20436292

Appears everytime someone puts up video, it gets removed due to UEFA copyrights, so I couldn't find one to embed.