UEFA Champions League 2006/2007

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by FFCinPCB, Aug 8, 2006.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Roma is my dark horse at this point. Looking forward to the matches.

2. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

With the Alex injury this weekend, Liverpool's draw became much easier and they should move through (although I still cannot believe they off'd Barca).

Roma may be a darkhorse, but ManU seem to garner all the calls and breaks lately - for instance the ball to hand against 'Boro in the box while down a goal in last weekend's FA Cup. However, I think only injuries can stop them at this point and they're lack of an in-from striker may finally catch up with them this round (now excuse me while I wash my mouth out for saying positive drivel about ManU).

Bayern should advance past Milan, whom I cannot believe took over 3 hours to score a lone goal against Celtic. Celtic could've, and should've, put the match away (could've, should've, would've...).

Now if Chelsea and Valencia could just knock each other out...

3. krhimself

krhimself New Member

PSV Eindhoven 0 - 3 Liverpool
    AC Milan 2 - 2 Bayern Munich
    AS Roma 2 - 1 Man Yoo
    CSKA London 1 - 1 Valencia

Liverpool are all but through to the next round. If you haven't checked out Riise's goal, make sure you do. It's a typical "Riise goal", but still impressive nonetheless.

Good to see the two other English teams getting not-so-favorable results, too. United also had Scholes sent off for two reckless tackles, so that'll hopefully help Roma a bit more.

4. BoilerBen

BoilerBen New Member

You want AS Roma to win?? After Totti has talked so much shit about English soccer?? I hate Roma along with all the other Italy clubs!!! They all cheat and there is really only 4 clubs that could play with the EPL competition.

5. nevzter

Agreed, Roma is a dastardly club. I cannot stomach Roma. However, they made Man U's back line look like a Championship club.

Every next leg should be brilliant (Scousers excluded).

6. krhimself

krhimself New Member

Maybe it's just me, but I can't stomach the thoughts of United or CSKA London winning a Champions League trophy. And you have to admit, Roma's football is pleasing to the eye.

7. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I'm with you krhimself. I'm not much EPL fan, I don't really care for any of the English teams besides Fulham. And I like Roma's uniforms. Plus, there's the Montella connection.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I only caught the first half of the match yesterday, but I was entranced by Roma's fitba. Scholes played like an idiot, and United are lucky to be only one goal down.

Having said that, one of my favorite memories is being the only Yank in a room full of Brits watching Man U win England's first European Cup championship against Benfica in '68, and I've always had a soft spot for them ever since -- IN EUROPEAN COMPETITION OR WHEN PLAYING THE SCUM.

9. nevzter

One touch passing, blistering shots, beautiful runs and the uncanny ability to be knocked over with a feather...viva Roma football!

10. nevzter

One touch passing, blistering shots, beautiful runs, all in addition to the uncanny ability to be knocked over with a feather...viva Roma football!

11. krhimself

krhimself New Member

Cristiano Ronaldo, in a nutshell? :roll:

12. nevzter

Exactly...forget Barca and Real, Ronaldo should join Roma.

Roma did play a splendid match, but, they're a team of divers through and through.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Here's the point though: in the EPL for the season 2006-07, the benchmark for attractive attacking fitba has been ManU. Yesterday, Roma played them off the pitch and did so with beauty and grace. ManU, on the other hand, was hacking and fouling and their attack was mostly hitting the old up-an-under.

Diving? Okay, I'll give you that, and I'm no fan of the Italian game, but I'll pay attention the next time FSC is covering AS Roma on a Sunday afternoon.

14. nevzter

I agree ManU was clearly outplayed and Roma's skill impressive. ManU played frantic and primitive, however they were also down a man 2/3 of the match. While not a spectacle of beautiful football before Scholes' departure, they were visibly thrown out of form thereafter.

HatterDon, Roma's clearly shining as your darkhorse.

In addition to Serie A, La Liga is nice...

15. nevzter

Apparently, I can effectively kill a thread...here's another shot. With the Coleman sacking, the CL was on the back burner, and now here we go.

Anyone's thoughts on the next round?

Roma's thrashing was out of left field for me. I believe ManU cannot continue its current level of play and good fortune, duh, against Milan but they'll get through this year on 4-2 agg. They simply have too much talent at this point for Milan to mount a challenge.

Scousers v. Chelski could be an unpleasant grind-it-out tie. I'm hoping the Scousers can get a quick score or two and make the Blews increase the pace. 3-3 Reds on away goals. I think the winner of this pairing captures the CL.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

My dark horse is now dark glue. I'm afraid to predict anything now.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

65 minutes in and United are 2-2 and in a LOT of trouble. Man, I hate the fact that Milan are even in the competition this year, never mind in the semis. Pleas Liverpool, kick the Scum's ass -- I'd hate to root for Chelsea under any conditions, but beating AC Milan may be the only exception.

Having said that, if you get a chance, check out Kaka's second goal. It is mega-brill finishing.

18. nevzter

3-2 the final and Rooney's last goal riveled Kaka's (who, in my book, just jumped up a couple of notches with the brilliance of his strikes today). I second Mr. HatterDon's sentiments on Milan and their Champions League elegibility. 2-2 going to the San Siro, I doubted Man U's chances, now up 3-2, they have a great shot to make it an all-England final with some defensemen returning next week.

Come on you Scousers!!!!!

19. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Kaka', Ronaldo, and Rooney all on the same pitch, playing their asses off. That was good soccer.

I agree, Don, Kaka' is one to watch. I especially thought so after he laid out Celtic's defense and fileted them practically by himself. But after seeing that 2nd goal today, he gets bumped even higher.

20. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I got to watch the first and last goals... agree it was a great game!