UEFA Champions League 2006/2007

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by FFCinPCB, Aug 8, 2006.

1. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Well, it is 1-1 now. Perhaps they are inspired and I would love to see Liverpool crash out in this tie. Regardless of what happens today, I think Liverpool will go on to win this tie in the away leg somewhere in Ukraine.

Lille, my favorite French team won 3-0 today but unfortunately, the lone Polish team in the qualifying round of the Champions League lost 1-0 at Shahktar Donetsk.

5. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

6. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am hoping Legia Warszawa can win the home leg and advance, but I am not optimistic. Shakhtar Donetsk is a decent side and I feel they have more talent than Legia. We will see though in two weeks time.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I know he supposedly "hurt himself," but I think they're holding him out so he won't be cup tied for an imminent transfer. It makes no sense to skip this in favor of a league match at the weekend, when there's so much money at stake in the CL.

8. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I agree. Something going on there.

Meanwhile, Liege let the opposition tie it up, which means the away goal differential is to their disadvantage going into the second leg and Liege must score at least one goal at Steaua Bucuresti.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/match?id=204815&cc=5901

9. DCDave

DCDave Member

I'm not sure if this belongs here or on the transfers thread, but since Onyewu's name came up here, here is an exchange in today's Washington Post soccer chat with Steve Goff (always worth reading):

-------------------------

Washington, D.C.: Do you have any insight into Gooch's decision to decline the transfer to Middlesbrough? It sounded like it would have been a great situation for him.

Thanks.

Steven Goff: I don't know if that's accurate. I believe Middlesbrough lost interest. Fulham seems to be the front-runner now.

--------------------------

My guess is that he doesn't have any special info that we don't, but I could be wrong.

BTW, if you want to read the whole chat:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01328.html

10. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

don't tease me....

11. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

12. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

13. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Gonzalez is the player who couldn't get a Work Permit so they loaned him to Sociedad(?) in La Liga. Played well there and is very highly rated by people plays for Chile although he was born in Durban South Africa.

I like Gooch, but I really don't think he will leave unless Liege go out in the CL at which point we will have already probably signed a CB. Could be a good player to get in January though if we could ever get rid of that piece of crap Knight.

14. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Haifa 0 - 1 Liverpool. Liverpool 3-1 on agg. 30 minutes left.

15. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Maccabi evens it, 1-1. 3-2 overall. Closer than Liverpool wants, no doubt.

16. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

17. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

18. krhimself

krhimself New Member

I hate to admit it, but Saha was wonderful against Celtic. He's finally starting to prove that he's worth the big fee that United paid for him. At least the best goal of the match didn't go to him -- Nakamura's free-kick was simply spectacular.

Oh, and our old boy Inamoto started for Galatasaray in their match against Bordeaux. You think he's happy that he's playing in the Champions League and not the Championship? 8)

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The scum have 7 or 8 on the bench for the Barca Lounger match, but no goalie.

Don't they have a youth team or developmental team or something? I've never liked Josie, but I never thought he was butt-stupid.

20. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I got the idea he was rather crazy when he subbed on three subs at halftime of a 2004-2005 FA Cup match they lose to Newcastle. Eventually someone was hurt and Chelsea had to finish with ten men.