U23 Olympic Qualifying

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by SoCalJoe, Oct 1, 2015.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I watched the entire match. We were brave individually, but the absolute surrender in the second half by the coaching staff disturbed me. Still, we might have actually won it with Morris's cheeky effort.

Having said that, I can't remember a side so incapable of scoring in the run of play despite having more than 25 clear chances. Colombia were good at everything but shooting -- and they were horrible at that.

Hyndman looked very good, I thought.

2. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

I followed by listening to some random internet radio broadcast of two guys watching the match and following twitter at the same time. I'm pleased with the draw and an important away goal.

I saw numerous positive remarks regarding Hyndman (one of the radio guys kept commenting on how he was much stronger than expected), Parker, and Miller. Should be a very interesting match Tue. Colombia have nothing to lose and will throw everything into it.

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

A win by the seniors in Columbus will do little to for supporter morale, but if the youngsters can it'll be a nice boost.

nevzter likes this.
  4. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Do they play for nil-nil? Park the bus and let Columbia's poor finishing continue? Maybe sneak one on the counter? At least these guys play with heart, which cannot always be said of their senior counterparts...

Calling on Jordan Morris to elevate his game and be like Mike.

COYU23USMNT (ha!)

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Thought Morris was excellent in Colombia

nevzter likes this.
  6. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

So that was brutal.

SoCalJoe likes this.
  7. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

No shame in losing to a better team, and they were clearly that. This all goes back to blowing it against Honduras. 12 years (at best now) between Olympic appearances is a bitter pill.

nevzter likes this.
  8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and it speaks to JK's abject failure to improve our football from top to bottom. As Moreno said, Mexico and the US should ALWAYS qualify for tourneys like this. But it seems as if we spend so much time teaching skills handling, that we forget this is a physical game. We should have been beaten 6-1 in Colombia, and we were muscled all over the park last night in Frisco. We score two goals in 180 minutes from ONE shot on goal? With the exception of Parker, we all looked like Hot House Flowers.

And now, tactics. We ran two strikers -- Morris who is very strong, very quick, and has a nose for goal, and Kissewetter who is almost as fast as Yedlin and also has a nose for goal. Each played alone up front, and neither got a decent pass all night. How do you select a 4-5-1 [which is what it was] and have absolutely zero service to your loan striker?

US Soccer needs to get its head out ... soon.

encorespanish and nevzter like this.
  9. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

I understand wanting to increase the skill level as that's the one area most American players have been lacking. However the obvious lack of toughness is deeply concerning. That's always been the one thing our guys have had by default, regardless of era. And it's vital in CONCACAF.

encorespanish and nevzter like this.
  10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

One thing I mentioned to HatterMom last night: When did the USA stop being the bigger team when playing someone from our hemisphere? The Colombians were stronger AND bigger.