U17 Friendlies

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, Dec 6, 2007.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

In about 5 minutes [by my computer] the US meets Russia in the Nike U-17 friendly tournement.

For those of you having as slow a Thursday afternoon as I am, FSC's live broadcast is at 3 Eastern and 2 Central.

Not sure who's on the roster, but I'm hoping we have as talented a crew as I've seen recently in our youth groups.

COYRWB!!! :banana:

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Early days yet, but this match is worth checking out. It'll be on again at 11 eastern tonight.

Watch for Watts [CB] and Polack [LB]. But the guy who has impressed me the most is Cabrera the coach. The guys are playing attractive flowing football, and Cabrera has the goolies to put a 13-year-old in the attacking midfielder role. Handing Renken the #10 shirt [which so far he's fully qualified to wear] and starting him on national TV could call for a lot of second guessing. MY guess is that Renken is the goods, and so is Cabrera

25 minutes in 1-0 USA USA USA USA

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I watched a bit of the game after I got home. US did look good and I have to agree with Hatter, the thing that impressed most was the type of soccer Cabrera had them playing. Free flowing agressive football with lots of nice balls into space. They defintely know how to play the game. However, that's probably a lot easier to do when you're better than the other team at nearly every position. Anyway, everywhere I look, things look bright for the future of the US men.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

We're playing Brazil at 2:30 Eastern on Saturday. Brazil took apart turkey 7-2 earlier today.

5. Clevelandmo

Brazil should be a test, but we did beat them in U20, if my memory is correct. I'll tape it.

6. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Breast or leg or wing?

Or all of the above?

Checking out the U.S. replay momentarily. Good "heads up", Dandy!

7. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Judging by the score PCB I'd say choice (D).

Echo the kudos to Don for pointing this one out, only saw the first half, but the Kid who scored (Morales?), the other striker Jerome were excellent. However, I have to single out the 13 year old (Yes 13!!). Remember the name Charles Renken, because (fingers-crossed) he will end up being the best playmaking midfielder the U.S as ever produced. OK, a little thick on the hyperbole, but this kid wasn't a munchin and showed innate ability you just don't see. In a word...WOW!!

8. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Quite a goal the second one was!

Our youth teams almost always play attractive attacking soccer(was very much the same during the last U17 friendlies when we beat Brazil), so not to rain on the parade but I'm not sure how much of the credit belongs to Cabrera.

On a related note; I think the Bradington thing works. It seems its some what popular to pick it a part in favor of some euro-like professional club academy system. I think the current system of getting all the best youngsters in the country living, playing, and going to school together is good. Seems a much healthier environment for 16, 17 year olds than a professional club.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thought that comes to mind as I'm watching this, the U17's would take care of the WNT, certainly more entertaining to watch. Is it wrong to acknowledge this? I don't know but its true.

9. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Watched as much of the replay as I could before dozing off. The kid on the left wing (sorry, name escapes me) was most impressive with ball skills. And, as said, good goals by the youngsters.

10. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Well, as luck would have it, I forgot to watch.

As to Bradenton, I agree that it's been very successful. I sort of worry that MLS clubs adopting the academy model ..as the Crew has with Brad Friedel's ..will maybe end up diluting the talent development.

11. BarryP

BarryP New Member

An overall impressive display of football. Crisp passing, confident on the ball at both ends of the field, and their patience in the buildup was beautiful.

12. Clevelandmo

One thing about Friedel's club is that he is bringing in foreign kids in addition to Americans. Also, I believe they all get to attend for free so it doesnt prohibit poor kids from other countries from attending. I think it is good to expose our young developing players to a wider variety of soccer styles, if they are indeed all that different.

I favor both. Have Bradenton and US soccers new development academies that are across the country, and have academies like Freidel's that have a mixture of US and foreign players.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, how's this for business as usual? The team I rooted for was outclassed at almost every position and, for most of the match, the only outstanding player was our goalkeeper.

Well, how's this for UNusual? Even though we were outplayed for at least 70 of the 90 minutes, we won 2-0!

Yep, the US beat Brazil today. If you saw it, you're probably wondering what SoCalJoe and I were raving about in Renken. He was completely dominated today and looked like, well, like a large 13-year-old against a bunch of 16 and 17 year olds.

Having said that, the same two guys who scored against Russia scored today. The first goal was not exactly against the run of play, but it was exceptional finishing. The Brazilians had at least 15 more promising opportunities and nobody could execute as clinically as our #11 did. The second goal? Well, just as it looked like a matter of when the Brazilians would get the equalizer and then bury us, Jerome got into the Brazilian #6's head and never got out. After a couple of stupid, clumsy fouls and a yellow, He made a dive in HIS OWN penalty area and landed right on top of the ball. Jerome converted and that was that.

All the lads played hard. the defenders attacked; the attackers defended. Edwards was a huge barrier in the goal. Watts was brilliant as centre-back and captain. Man for man it should have been USA 1 Brazil 3, but temperament, discipline, and a bit of luck held out for us.

The Brazilian goalkeeper and their huge substitute attacker #18 both looked brilliant, and their #8 and #10 were creative and dangerous. If they had kept their heads, they would have won [not getting a half-dozen yellows and two red cards would have helped] ... but we did.

We play Turkey tomorrow to get the hattrick. I wouldn't count on seening Renken. He got literally kicked out of the game by his Brazilian marker as did a couple of our other guys.

Oh, worst performance of the day? The referee. His schoolmasterish discipline and his high-school basketball ref imitation [constantly blowing the whistle] ruined the flow of the game and enraged the Brazilian bench as well as their troops on the field. Contrasted with the officiating in the USA-Russia game, it was like day and night.

USA USA USA

14. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I only got to see the first half but I did not feel we were completely outclassed. I did feel Brazil had the better run of play in the first half and #8 for Brazil was very good. For the US #13 (I think it was pronounced A-who-E) tormented the Brazilians frequently. Stephan Jerome looks like he could be a special player.

The first goal on a drop by Jerome to #13 who crossed to (Martinez?) #11 who's finish was spectacular was superb and completly in the run of play. I thought the first 20 minutes was a back punch counter punch style of play.

15. Clevelandmo

Wow, hatter and barry, I only saw the first 5 - 30 min. but did not at all feel like US was dominated. Guess I still have a lot to learn cause I thought the US had good control during their possesions and saw no significant threats from Brazil. Hopefully there will be a rebroadcast. The first US goal was awesome finishing by a U17 team.

16. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Mo, I think I said basically the same thing except that the Brazilians did have the better end of possession for the last 20 minutes of the first half and that is when I saw the significant threats develop.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

yeah; the last 20 minutes of the first half and most of the 2nd half [until they lost their collective minds], the Brazilians dictated everything. They completely controlled the middle 60 minutes of the match.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

just to tie a bow on it, today Turkey -- who hadn't a point until today -- completely dominated a tired and depleted USA team. How in the world did Brazil but 7 past these kids? They were creative and committed.

I think Edwards stops at least one of the goals, and if our most creative players weren't either wiped out or injured from the Brazil match, it might have been different. But full credit to the Turkish lads.

Concerning the other thread, perhaps the academy is a bad idea and there are too many tournaments. I don't know. I last coached AYSO soccer in 1984. But the kids wearing the RWB were class kids with a lot of skill and spirit. Having said that, THREE games in FOUR days? Not a great idea. Why not Sunday, Thursday, and Sunday?

19. Clevelandmo

Kudos to turkey. They completely dominated