TV Tech Info, please!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, Dec 16, 2008.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

For about 30 years, my life was spent bouncing back and forth between Europe and the USA. Since most of my stays were for 3-5 years, and since voltage and cycles differ between Europe and the US, I never really got to find out just how long appliances last.

In 1993, we moved back to Texas for good, and now I'm finding out. We're on our 2nd lawn mower, and about to get our third dishwasher, but that's not why I created this thread.

Our TV is about to crap out, and we're thinking we'd like a flat screen rectangular job -- you know, so I can read the score of a game I'm watching on Fox or ESPN. So, any of youse that know good quality, please weigh weigh in with opinions of TV brands. We're looking for something small -- probably no wider than 30 inches [the set itself] -- and my only pre-condition is that it not be a Samsung. I will have NOTHING in my house with that brand name. :twisted:

We're hoping the set will last until the new year when the sales begin, and we'd like to have settled on a brand well before then.

Help me, Obi-wan-keFUSA, you're my only hope! 8)

2. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

RE: Tech Info, please!

Don, my only input on this is don't get seduced by the flat screen. They are sexy but they don't last. There are plenty of High Def ready TV's with the old tube in the back (there is some tech term for these types and I guarantee some of our members will know). These will last forever, like your last one.

I have a Samsung :oops:

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, that explains your politics. :wink:

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Re: RE: Tech Info, please!

And I say I will never buy another CRT television and I'm replacing 20 year old Mitsubishi's that are finally dying of old age.
    And so does most everyone else that does much research. Sadly, LG isnt even in the ballpark.

Every maker/model generation gets better and more reliable. Sad to say, I'm getting a Sony... an offer and value I cant refuse.. from a private owner whose complaint on it has nothing to do with anything except it cant be set to come on like a clock radio.

I severely dislike the Sony brand in A/V. the most overrated EVER. But, still, hope springs eternal that I get a Sony that doesnt die an early death.

Meanwhile Sony and Samsung run neck and neck in newly-bought ratings. The tale will be told in 3 years or so... and I expect Sony to be lying in the ditch. Hopefully the one I'm buying the Missus for Christmas wont be one of them.

5. Jensers

Jensers New Member

RE: Re: RE: Tech Info, please!

30"? Are you crazy? That is pretty small.

You are talking less than $400. You could save even more money by not worrying about 1080. At that size you will not notice a difference anyway.

I would just go to Costco and pick up a Vizio is I were you. Cheap, but with good reliability ratings. Most of these things are made in the same factory anyway.

At the price you are going to pay - who gives a crap if you have to buy another one in 5 years.

Actually - Ridge might be right. For what you want - a tube may not be a bad choice.

6. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

What's the beef with Samsung? They make the some of the best tvs on the market.

I'm with Petty on Sony, can't stand that company.

7. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Also, a question for you on regading a new tv purchase. Do you want HD?

8. pettyfog

Look... if you absolutely cant hack watching/buying a Samsung... Sharp Panasonic Vizio in that order
    Or Sony Bravia if you can get a really good deal like I did.

Don... you are making a mistake with that 30 inch wide req, unless it's for a bedroom. 30 inch wide is equiv of about 26" for standard tv. Measure the screen HEIGHT of your current tv then transpose from 4:3 to 16:9.
    Wont fit Entertainment center? Hang the TV on wall, refit your EC for a cupboard.
    I agree on the 720P is all you need comment.

Unless your LR tv is 40 inches or larger, and you sit close enough to make it seem like a movie theater, the 1080 is wasted. Besides, all cable companies compress more than broadcast. The only CLEAR advantage of 1080 would come in watching blu-ray movies.
    Added: Or sports, etc, from Sat or OTA broadcast in 1080.

If any of you can find an EDTV that's worth the price, compared to High-Def. please let me know. I've been looking. Waste of money to save 50-100 bucks for standard aspect.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

thanks for the input, guys, and if you think of any others ... feel free to chime in.

Yes, I did want to fill the slot in my existing entertainment center. I don't figure that to be too much of a problem, because we sit within 7-8 feet of the set, and the completeness of the picture and the clarity of it would compensate for the size -- at least that's where I am now.

Heather, I have the best of all possible reasons for not wanting a Samsung -- it's who wears it on their shirts. I don't care if it's the greatest quality product in the world - NIMH.

Thanks again, and keep 'em coming!

10. pettyfog

HD 720 plus upconvert DVD

This for Don, as well as the rest of you who havent seen it in action.

Unwrapped the 'family gift' {that means the kids to MrsPf and me} Which was a Sony Bravia 32" and matched upconverting -to 1080P- DVD player {from Dell: approx $50}. Watched the first third of the latest Batman movie on it.

result: excellent! If your preferred viewing aspect is of large TV rather than movie theater and your eyesight is not quite 20-20 you will be MORE than pleased at the clarity and presentation. There was no appreciable difference when the dvd was played on an XBox with HDDVD player hooked to a Fifty inch display.

When I moved close to the screen on the 50 inch tv. I could see the Aliased pixels. At 6-8 feet approximate distance, however, the 'swimming' edges went away and the image seemed sharp and clear.
    Objectively about the same as a second gen print you used to see in a second run movie house.

It is actually that 'aliasing' that tricks your eye into seeing more information than is actually there.

{For comparison, I have seen BluRay movie on a large 1080, once... and I consider that picture quality superior to average movie house.}
    We compared the upconverted STD DVD to a cable NFL HD* broadcast for pic quality and rated it only slightly less clear. The difference of course usually shows up more in face complexion and foliage definition.

So until Bluray -cheapest found is about $250- comes down below $100 for the player I wont even think about it. And maybe not even then for the premium cost of the program media.

*Note: If you havent heard, cable further compresses its HD channels. Pull your HD programming out of the air if you want the actual transmitted quality.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RE: HD 720 plus upconvert DVD

Thanks, Jim. I've forwarded all of this information to the tech expert in the house.

12. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

RE: HD 720 plus upconvert DVD

I bought a refurbished 37in visio this past summer, and am very pleased with it. Found it on tigerdirect.com.

Now all I need is FSC and Setanta to get in to the HD game, and I'm set for a few years.

13. pettyfog

Re: RE: HD 720 plus upconvert DVD

"Don' holds your breath, Queeksdraww!"
    - baba- looey

For a totally subjective view on image quality ranking, here's my take:

1. Imax

2. Main room cinema

3. 1080P, Bluray movie

4. 2nd run cinema

4a OTA/sat 1080 HD {NFL}

6 CableHD NFL

6a Upconverted current DVD movie

- - -- - for 8 to 14, insert various programming in here----

15 FSC euro coverage
    - comes across as 'smearier' than MLS on espn on reg scan.. even on a tired 20 yr old Mitsubishi
    No opinion on Setanta: Havent been to a bar showing it, yet.

But, since FSC compresses the PAL format to get it across the pond, dont wait to buy your regular scan tv just for the hope of better pic quality.

14. pettyfog

RE: Re: RE: HD 720 plus upconvert DVD

This AM i was playing a bit more with DVD's running on the Sony upconverting player.
    {why I was late to ChatRoom}

BladeRunner - directors cut- absolutely SUCKED in image quality! Strange, I've seen others comment on that.

But 'Green Mile' was gorgeous.. so much so that my bro walked into house and that was the first thing he said.

15. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

16. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

I actually have an LG and have no complaints. They rated well in the 42" category (think they scored well in 37" also if memory serves) and I got a good deal on the LG 42" 780p plasma.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Thanks very much to everyone who contributed to this thread. I finally took the advice of FulhamAg -- who swears I never agree with him on anything -- and got an LG. We installed it early this afternoon and I watched the last 25 minutes of the football on FSC. Even Stoke look good on this TV.

18. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

You finally choose to agree with me and you picked a tech issue to do it on?!?! :shock: Probably not my strongest area of expertise (although I do love my LG tv).

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I told you Matt, I always agree with you -- every time you're right!