Title IX Strikes again

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Feb 10, 2009.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Again a 'CLU' enforces tyranny of the few over the many.
    {When I say 'again' I dont mean the original Title IX actions, I'm talking about incidents like the above.}

Title forced allocation of resources... now NYCLU says 'that shouldnt matter, get more resources'

This is an excellent article.

2. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

As far as I'm concerned, this belongs in the Golden Lion section.

3. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Thanks for the link Jim, I posted a link on my blog. Great read.

4. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

I was actually a bit torn on where to fall on this one. Change is difficult for people to accept and usually folks just make excuses why it won't work. I'll have to say the author did a really nice job laying out the issue and it's ramifications. Thanks Fog.

5. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Very interesting article 'Fog. I tend toward those who dont want the season switched for all the reasons the coach sited and for the fact that I dont like it when a few affect hundreds of others just so that they can get what is best for them. However, the soccer mom did have one allegation that I thought was legitimate (if its true) - her claim that NYC is giving field preference to the private schools. That is something that I could see happening and that should be addressed. However, it's not clear to me how switching the girls' soccer season is going to change that.

Also, how do you find more field space in NYC.

6. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Excuse as I get on my Marxist soapbox, but the NYCLU has this all wrong.

This isn't about gender equality, its about fiscal equality.

By sticking to Title IX the NYCLU is missing the core issue here and in my mind just furthering the problem by applying a principle, however correctly envisioned, to an incorrect issue.

Yes, it may be unfair for a variety of reasons to play in the spring. But there's a financial reason for it, not a civil rights one.

So change the finances, not those effected by them.

7. jmh

jmh New Member

But that's the whole point of Title IX. If institutions were allowed to use this rationale, then the University of Texas could cut all its sports except football and men's basketball and say "sorry, those are the sports that generate revenue for us, we're not trying to provide athletic opportunities to men and not to women but those are the financial realities of our situation." (Obviously, the situation in the article isn't nearly so cut and dried, of course.)

8. pettyfog

Re: RE: Title IX Strikes again

.. sigh... You think I didnt spend about ten minutes trying to decide where it belongs?

Suppose it was about NCAA mens?

And it COULD have been in either 'Anything goes' or 'Other Sports'
    - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - -

I'm leaning right now toward 'Other Sports': Unhighlited is the effect on selection of sports by the student athlete. Lots of girls have to pick their sports coming into HS from club level.

Multisport athletes often participate in Volleyball, Softball and soccer. Going from Fall to spring, where I live for example, would mean they COULD play Volleyball but would have to give up Softball. AND they Could then more easily make the baskjetball teams.

9. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

RE: Re: RE: Title IX Strikes again

For field space alone, as soccer can use football fields, seems the soccer season of boys and girls should be in the Spring. Or did I miss something?

As far as competing with softball, I am utterly and completely biased when I say, that's like comparing apples and GIANT grapefruit.

10. pettyfog

No.. you didnt miss a thing, there. Only track baseball and softball coaches will bitch. Small School Football coaches, nationwide would rejoice. Of course that would STILL result in a resource problem in NYC. Primarily coaching.
    Yes, you are... as you neither speak for the girls or their parents, only yourself. Thus it has no merit other than to let us know about it. And we dont care, either.

Or are you trying to start a pissing contest about Girls VBall v Softball?

11. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Actually had more than one parent who brought up the relative butchiness of softball players, so I don't speak for the parents, but rather provide a window into their perspective.

12. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

Well...I'm just sayin'. The subject suggests the thread is about Title IX (which is a political issue) and not really sports at all.

13. pettyfog

Re: RE: Title IX Strikes again

{* FulhamUSA Disclaimer:} Not that there's anything wrong with that.

14. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

RE: Re: RE: Title IX Strikes again

Is "butchiness" a physically descriptive term, or one of sexual connotation, or both??

Guess it depends.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

That may work in Florida or NYC or Columbus, OH, but here in Texas there are only two HS sports seasons -- Football & Spring Football.