Times Worst Cars of aLL time

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Feb 10, 2010.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Well, gentle readers you have been saved..
    I was about to rail on some C@@$@ts that are paid to tell us how stupid Sarah Palin is, and THEN show they're so ignorant they should sent back to ride the short bus.. but they didnt win some prize for their expertise.. so instead:

The 50 Worst Cars of All Time: #22 Ford Pinto

Well.... you COULD make a case for that, EXCEPT the Pulitzer Prize winning Car expert gets it wrong!
    When hit in the ass at greater than 40 mph, the notorious case by a car full of drunk teen girls, gas sometimes spewed out and was ignited.
    Well, it was actually worse than that.. which is my problem with the 'expert'.
    The rear end didnt NEED reinforcing the gas tank and filler design was at fault. Consider that crash-worthiness/safety REQUIRES sheet metal crumple. The tank and filler mounting wasnt designed to handle that.

Of COURSE it COULD have been designed REALLY strong to protect the tank {like hundreds of people were killed in the VW beetle because of 'strength'}, my Bro in law, among those.

Which would have left fairly reconstructible broken neck corpses instead of crispy critters.

That's just an example... he gets the real problem with the Corvair wrong, too. Close but doofusly wrong. Same as Nader.

Which brings us to the REAL agenda of Mr Neil, as bespoke in the "1909 Model T":
    And worst of all... EVERYONE could afford one and fix it if it broke.
    Not just Pulitzer Prize winning 'Journalists'!

That, folks, is this cretinous fuck's REAL point. Shove a f@!33king Corvair half-axle up your ass Puke, Universal end first!

And then burn in hell.

Ah.. screw it:
    Well, you negated the possibility of SOMETHING, all right. First thing I thought of when I read this was: "Repeal Suffrage!" And I bet the first thing HLN honcho's thought of was "Why the Hell didnt we keep Glenn Beck!"
    And then I flashed on the old Dan Ackroyd SNL news quote: "Joy, you ignorant..."
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Hmmm.. I got it.

Mr Dan Neil should be condemned to an eternal menage a trois with Behar and Ensler.
    heh...

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Of the list, I drove a

'58 Ford Edsel. I thought it was a great car with a lot of guts and a back seat I could lie down in when I was a tich under 6' tall. For a teenager, it didn't really get much better than that. The problem with the Edsel was NOT with its engineering, but with its market. The problem was that the only car it competed with was the Mercury -- also a FMC auto. I always cringe when somebody picks that car as a bad auto, rather than a bad idea. I thought it was engineered brilliantly

the '58 MGA -- looked cool, but was harder to turn than a semi with its hydraulics shot. I drove it for an hour and my forearms were sore for a week.

the '61 Corvair -- I quite liked the way this auto handled. It was a good Detrot option in the small car market to Japanese and German vehicles. I actually drove three of the '61s over time, as a matter of fact. I still think they'd be making them if Nader's Unsafe at Any Speed didn't choose it as its poster car. I actually think that GM used the bad publicity as an excuse to stop focusing on small autos.

I never drove any of the other cars to the best of my knowledge, so I'd just have to depend on someone else's opinion, as the writer of the article obviously did. I don't have a lot of ranting to do about what's on the list and what isn't because I don't see everything as political chakanery, but I do think it's rather cute that he would include Maseratis, Jaguars, Aston-Martins, Lamborghinis and Ferraris on the list. I know that me and most of my fellow enlisted buddies used to bitch about what pieces of shit these cars were all the time.

I would also like to point out that Ackroyd actually said "JANE you ignorant slut," since he said it to Jane Curtin.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

The guy's agenda is pretty clear, Don. I was gonna say the same thing about the Edsel. There were only two bad things: \
    A: It was redundant. Better looking than a Mercury of that year but clunky in the lower platform and overpriced in the higher one.
    B The electrical transmission interface. {push buttons in the steering wheel hub}

Only design problem in the Corvair could'a been fixed with shorter dual-rate shock absorber.. I actually SAW the car leave the ground and the drop on the rear axles.. we all said WTF! in unison. Before we heard Nader's comments
    ALL aluminum engine blocks leaked oil.

Note the 'novelty cars' he lists! Including the horses head thing. Remember that was the era of the dumb laws.. have to walk ahead and warn livery drivers so the horses wouldnt spook.

And Yes.. I know what Ackroyd said but her name is Joy, not Jane.