Thread? What thread?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by ChicagoFan, Aug 26, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

You were warned and warned again.
    First.... the posts were not in the nature of debates and your signature post of this go-round still remains.

It was out and out trolling, not a call to debate. If you want to know what trolling is, that is it. Trolling usually is an invitation to inflame, if we were less coherent a group it would have done so.

Second. my credentials on recognition of the genre: I've been continually on internet discussion groups for twenty years, dating back to mail lists, even before Usenet News Groups.

Specifically, the charges laid out in the troll could be debated but they've been debated before.. and I have grown weary of it.

Now here's the point. I'm the moderator...I decide where the line is. It's not a committee thing, it's not a democratic function. That's what a moderator does. Once such a thing becomes accepted, the line becomes blurred.

I have two bosses. They've both weighed in here. The rest of you have a voice. But they have the vote.

2. ChicagoFan

ChicagoFan New Member

"Warned and warned?" LOL - give me a break. You "warned" me merely because you didn't like the topic, and then you deleted my posts within about 2 minutes. "Trolling" -- good grief, stop lying. You just didn't like the topic.

Stop lying, petty. You know very well that my posts did not violate any forum rules. I did not use vulgarity. I did not personally attack anyone. You were just irritated because I questioned the GOP's deliberate use of campaign tactics which serve as a dog-whistle to racism and xenophobia, and questioned the motives of those who would deny the existence of those obvious tactics.

You were the only one using vulgarities and personal attacks, and you and everyone else knows it.

In any event, apparently, you have ZERO interest in ending this peaceably, as I have already tried. I guess you're intent on forcing my hand, and you're intent on being a little fascist dictator of your tiny little internet plot. So be it.

But don't say I didn't warn YOU.

Say good-bye, petty. But I'll be sure to say hello for you to the club. I won't have FFC's name and logo hijacked by a right-wing boob like you.

So, here's the deal -- you're GONE as moderator NOW, or I go to the club, its management, and its counsel, to tell of the use of their name and logo on a politics board. How do you like THAT warning, you insufferably arrogant right-wing jerk?

3. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

CF, if you have a problem with what happens here, fair enough, that is your prerogative. However, I wish to reiterate what Tom and Mike said and ask you not to email the club about a matter that is largely stemming from your own personal grudge. This forum does not belong to you personally; a lot of other people come here to waste time and post about FFC and other matters here. Your behavior in this matter is quite embarrassing, and I respectfully suggest you get a grip on yourself and cool down.

4. ChicagoFan

ChicagoFan New Member

LOL -- personal grudge? Wrong. Guess again.

Petty wants to be an unabashed right-wing a-hole? That's fine -- that's his perogative. He can deal with the consequences like a grownup.

I respectfully request that FulhamUSA get rid of the politics board completely -- how's that?

5. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Aw, geez, I tried.

You know what, Do what the hell you want. Just mentally prepare yourself for the eventuality that you will not be taken seriously, just as you have not been here since you lost your bearing.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

CF, I haven't seen you respectfully request anything. You've been on this site for 3.5 years, and you haven't posted as much during any three-month period as you have in the last 3 days. I get it that you're pissed. You need to get it that not everyone agrees with you, what you're saying, and this little brinksmanship trip you're on.

Just give yourself a week away from the site and stop threatening everyone to whom this site matters. Can you do that?

Thanks.

7. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Not attempting to add fuel to the fire, but I don't think the club will take his accusations seriously. CF is the only individual on FUSA that I have seen log a complaint of this level.

I believe his argument holds next to no water and I hope that he doesn't attempt to tarnish what several have worked so hard to build.

8. ChicagoFan

ChicagoFan New Member

Hey, I tried to extend the olive branch and back off, but that insufferable jerk petty just couldn't leave it be.

I do not expect to be taken seriously. I imagine I will be viewed as a crackpot, just as the right-wing jerks want. I imagine, however, that the club, when repeatedly sent complaints that its name and logo are being used to promote a political agenda, will take that seriously. You'd be surprised how vigorously companies, particularly those that depend on their public support and branding, tend to defend even a hint of the misuse of their intellectual property, including their name, logo, and goodwill.

See, they don't NEED to take me seriously, and I don't care if they do or not. But I fully expect they will do anything to keep FFC's name from being associated with a political agenda.

9. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

The mud slinging campaign continues...

10. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

I think at this point we just need to ignore him completely or just ban him. He is acting like a child and disrupting what is otherwise been a good board.

11. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Amen and done -- I'm out of this thread.

At the same time, CF, if you choose to cool off and regain your dignity, your input is still welcome on this board.

12. ChicagoFan

ChicagoFan New Member

LOL -- petty goes on a power trip, threatens me, and now his ilk can't handle the blowback. What a bunch of pansies.

13. ChicagoFan

ChicagoFan New Member

So, let's see . . . it's about 11:45 a.m. on the east coast. A whole set of e-mails are set to go. Amazing how easy it is to find links to the club, its board, each individual board member, and the club's solicitors. The internet is a beautiful thing.

Start groveling, pettyfog, you arrogant right-wing a-hole. I want you to beg.

14. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Nothing exists like a political discussion. It can go from banter to irrationality in a heartbeat. Sometimes both sides need to take a step back when neither wants to backdown.

15. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Send them off then. You certainly won't hold me, Petty or Fusa for ransom. The club will only get in touch with me and I'll explain the issue. Or better yet, why don't you email Petty and sort this out offline.

As for calling him an a-hole and going on and on about how he has ruined your political fun on this board, I ask that you show some maturity and cease to personally attack him.

You may not like him or his views but he is Fulham and has been a great servant to the FFC and FUSA cause. Being a moderator is a thankless task.

16. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

The opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth. – Niels Bohr

Wise words by a scientist.

17. ChicagoFan

ChicagoFan New Member

Mike, I have never once attacked pettyfog for his views -- I have peacefully co-existed since the day this board started. What ticks me off is that he runs a forum on a FULHAM FOOTBALL BOARD as a right-wing propaganda machine, deleting anything he doesn't like for no reason at all other than that he doesn't like it.

You can look at every single one of my messages here -- I have never had a problem with anyone, and have tried always to bring good humor to the board. Even on the topics that started this mess, I tried to be humorous about it, and refrained from any vulgarity, obscenity, and personal attacks. And what did I get for it? Deleted. Meanwhile, Pettyfog posts obscenities and personal attacks at me.

And what happened even AFTER that, when I started completely unrelated topics, again with ZERO violations of any forum rules? Deleted again, all because I criticized McCain.

Hey, you've built a wonderful forum here, but if you let a Fulham Football Board be hijacked and used for right-wing political propaganda, the this forum deserves to go.

Petty started it, and he wouldn't let it go, even when I made one peace offering after another. Then, and only then, did I call him what he is -- a right-wing a-hole.

So fine. You have stated your view, and I have stated mine. We'll see what the club thinks about being dragged into a political forum and a dispute on a message board. I'm sure the club, its directors, and its solicitors will enjoy 10 e-mails a day from me and every Fulham fan on liberal boards I know who agrees with me (8 others so far), every day, until they yank this board.

Mike, as I'm sure you know, the power of the blogosphere in bringing like-minded individuals together to bring market forces to bear on a company can be rather impressive.

Petty wants to be right-wing propagandist? Then we'll show him the power of liberal bloggers. Done and done.

I didn't want this, but if this is truly everyone's attitude, then good riddance.

18. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Why is it that I do not recall all these supposed deleted posts and deleted members that go against what Pettyfog is saying? Additionally, if it was such a big issue why are you the only one that has a problem with the way things work on this board. I would simply ask that if you have a problem with the board and you do not like how things are done to simply take your posts elsewhere.

19. ChicagoFan

ChicagoFan New Member

Um, I seriously mean this not in a sarcastic way, and you know I respect what you've built here, but the reason you haven't seen the deletions is because, well, because they have been deleted.

Look at my posts -- I have never been a prolific poster, and as you can tell, I have, in fact, almost always steered completely clear of the politics board, mostly because I didn't think a politics forum run by a right-wing moderator had any place on a Fulham fan website, but also because my interest here was with the team. But, honestly, I just didn't really care that much -- if Pettyfog wanted his own personal forum to bloviate and pontificate on politics mostly to himself, then more power to him.

What has become increasingly apparent, however, particularly as we enter another election period, is that Pettyfog has no interest in political discussion -- he wishes solely to promote a right-wing agenda solely on topics of his choosing. The proliferation of unchallenged GOP smear campaigns on the politics forum on this board is not what I think a Fulham board should promote. And so, in complete good humor -- quite literally, with a wink and smile thanks to the emoticons -- I decided to respond in the politics forum for the first time in as long as I can remember. And what horrible thing did I post? I posted that the GOP is deliberately injecting race into the campaign, and is using tactics to deliberately appeal to racism and xenophobia. And what did I get in response? I got Pettyfog spewing vulgarities and personal attacks, and then deleting me. I believe the insightful political discourse Pettyfog used was "dumbf--k," "troll," and "you're gone." When I tried re-posting my opinion, and questioned my posts being deleted, I got more of the same. WTF is that?

But then I just dropped it, and moved on to an entirely new topic, posting a completely non-vulgar thread questioning why McCain was sending his wife on a mission to Georgia. Again, no vulgarity, no insults, and no attacks at other posters. And what happened? Deleted again. No reason given. No explanation. Just more GOP propaganda.

Good Lord, even after I then got pissed off and responded by suggesting that FFC should know the way its name is being used, I then backed off and deleted my own post. And how did dear Pettyfog respond? By stalking me into that thread, too, and lying about my posts.

And you think that's a reasonable way to run a forum on a board dedicated to FFC?

Like I said, if that's the way this board really is, then two can play at that game, and good riddance.

20. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Again, if you have a problem, take it offline and if you have followers then you along with them should email me with evidence. I've had enough of the he said she said, I am acting as an administrator now.

You have personally attacked pettyfog in earlier posts on this thread and I will not have that. This has been blown way out of proportion and you are only adding to it.

You don't like Pettyfog or his political views.

We get it.