This just in: Celtic have qualified for Europe 2016-17

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, Aug 9, 2015.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Had to do a double take, my first reaction was 'who the hell is Patrick Thistle?'

3. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Titus Bramble's cousin.

Don, you'll have to explain your disdain for the Scots to me someday. It's not like they're the only small country with a crap league in Europe.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  4. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I'll shortcut the conversation, Ag. HD hates haggis (but on the flipside, I'd like to inquire about his inclincation [or not] for the beautiful brown liquor produced by the Scots).

5. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

...my other thought is this is a baited cast to float into the calm water ... just let it float through for a bit... to catch a certain whitesbhoy

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I have no problem with the Scots or Scotland. I've had many good times there. I just have huge disdain for a league where -- until Rangers were kicked out of the SPL -- both qualified for Europe on opening day.

I typed this yesterday, but it never went out. Weird.

7. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

You could say the same for Real & Barca in La Liga, Galatasaray & Fenerbahce in Turkey and Olympiakos & Panathanaikos in Greece. To a slightly lesser extent it applies to FC Copenhagen in Denmark. I haven't looked at the other Scandinavian countries, or Austria, Poland, etc, but it seems pretty much part & parcel to football in smaller countries and/or lesser leagues....and Spain.

Plus, Celtic & (previously) Rangers have been pretty much stuck in their league. UEFA rules have prevented them from moving to the Football League, unlike their Welsh counterparts.

Given Celtic's European success, I'm a little surprised that you don't seem to like or respect them. They were the first British team to make and win a European Cup Final. More impressively, they did it with a team composed entirely of local players, one of only 3 teams to accomplish that feat. And of the teams from smaller countries/leagues, they've punched above their weight as well as anyone.

Of course if Nev is right and the repeated digs over time have been to rile Christian up, then disregard all of the above.