The Wembley Joke

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, Oct 28, 2007.

1. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

To further screw your analogy, Fog, the Falcons play in a domed stadium (which is stupid, and even more stupid on a nice day in the fall in Atlanta).

If there were a domed stadium in London, possibility perhaps. How about the Bernabeau?

2. jmh

jmh New Member

Requirements to host a Super Bowl, based on articles from the Indianapolis Star and the A stadium that hosts at least 70,000 people
    For a 70,000 seat stadium, at least 24,500 "quality" hotel rooms within a 30 minute drive of the stadium
    850,000 square feet of space for the "NFL Experience" interactive theme park
    10,000 rental cars, 750 buses, 500 limousines, 1,000 taxis in the area
    A hotel with 900 or more rooms to serve as the NFL's Super Bowl headquarters

The bid specifications document totals 244 pages, according to these sources, so I'm sure there's a lot more to it. San Diego published a
    version of the document (PDF) that went into a recent hosting bid they made.

I'd imagine many of Europe's biggest cities can meet a lot of the requirements, but as far as sheer stadium seating capacity goes, your options would include Barcelona, London, Milan, Moscow, Kiev, Dublin, Rome, Istanbul, Dortmund, Madrid, Paris, Naples and Manchester.

3. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

I would hate to see the Superbowl come to London or anywhere outside of the US, in the same way I hated the FA cup going to Cardiff, they are national competitions and if I was lucky enough to go to a superbowl I would want to do it in the US where the hype and experience would be unforgettable. I think I would feel cheated if I did it in Manchester or Kiev.

Is a domed stadium as stadium with a roof? If so then Wembley has a sliding roof, with undersoil heating to keep the pitch warm. Still a bad idea though.

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

GBFC; Does the new Wembly have a retractable roof? If so why in the world didn't they close it?? Would've saved the groundskeepers a ton of work, and may be given the fans a better game. Of course the Dolphins having their worst ever season in franchise history didn't help matters.

Interesting how a New York based team playing an another traditional east coast team (this year excepted) game on European soil has been a big story. While two west coast teams playing in Mexico City last year was barely a blip on the radar.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and here's the unintended punch line from the Wembley Joke as an excerpt from an article on Soccernet:

Meanwhile, Croatia coach Slaven Bilic has criticised the condition of the pitch.

Almost non-stop rain in London for the last two days, plus the damage done to the playing surface by a recent NFL match, has created a poor playing surface, according to Bilic.

'It is not good,' he said. 'It is very soft on top and hard underneath. It is not good for us but it is definitely not good for England either because they like to pass the ball as well.'

This reminds me of a situation years ago when a Cup Final turned into a mess because they'd scheduled some sort of horse event in the old stadium the week before. It would be interesting if McLaren loses his gig because of the Miami Dolphins.

Sigh.

Go England; beat Croatia