The Sarah Palin scandal thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Aug 30, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Right now, as various press and Dem operatives scurry around to get the dirt on her, let's address the primary current accusation: Abuse of Power, wherein it's claimed she fired an appointee for not firing her state trooper exbrother-in-law.
    Flopping Aces Blog did a lot of digging yesterday and he didnt find much of scandal substance.
    Summary:
    - Moneghan, the person in question, was her appointee. since when cant you fire your own appointee for cause? She made a mistake and was too 'politically correct' on the reason for removing him from the post.
    - He wasnt actually fired, he was reassigned to work in his area of expertise, and declined the job.
    - Barely mentioned is if she wanted the guy fired and was upset about him still being on the force, why not fire the top person in the State Trooper organization? Because she's also a woman?

Further.. she made a mistake by being too easy on the Ex-BIL before she became Gov. She had the pull to get him fired even then, particularly because he had committed numerous fire-able offenses.
    - but not exactly kosher is the idea of her security forces, that as long as ex-BIL was on the force, he posed a danger to the 'First Family'. And firing him would fix that? Doesnt make sense. But bureaucrats have been known to have dumber ideas than that.

The people raising the stink in the first place are those she has beaten politically. IE; the 'old boys'

2. pettyfog

Well, lookie here:
    Sarah Palin supports Gay Rights
    Boy that's devastating, huh?
    I mean it makes me want to pack up the missus, the kids, my gun, my bible {oh.. yeah my bowling bag} and jump into my pickup and head back down home. Mind you dont crack yore haid on that Remington .30, Ma!

So... let's see who runs that GoDaddy site {scroll down a lot} and what the registrant's IP address listed {74.208.74.232} might lead to.

Go ahead... click!
    http://74.208.74.232

:shock:
    Nahh... I didnt come up with it. LGF did.
    I just checked it out the way I do it, here.

Silly Obamatons!

Or, it may be a sorta coincidence, kinda.. you know like a third party factcheck site .. maybe.
    From LGF, an update:
    Whatever that means. It just got a little too convoluted fror this geezer. Maybe if I step WAY back...

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I agree. Only a base, ignorant political party would try to make a scandal out of someone on a national ticket, who as a state governor, fired a state trooper. Only a party with no moral base would stoop that low!

4. pettyfog

I guess you didnt read any of it, then. I mean this has been going on for two years, so... do you have a point?

5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

:cry: These are tears of joy, so gald to see you two are back to sniping in a proper fashion, all is right (and left) with the FUSA world again.

6. pettyfog

Uh-oh.. Here is some for real:

Speaking Against Palin

So.. she's running for ROLE MODEL, not VP. And there are never exceptions.. if it's the plank, it must be the rule.

Personally, I'd look at how the other kids have fared before I'd roll over this rock. The guy may be right. Or not.
    While it's just my opinion, I'd be real careful before I wrote that if she were running with Obama, so I'm not gonna jump into this guy's wagon.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

not to temper your joy, but did you see the first two words of my post? It must be the halo effect. When we agree our kids still think we're fighting! :big grin:

8. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Don, sometimes I think you two are actually PM'ing each other before the threads are posted, to plan on how you will entertain us next. It is a credit to both of you that as much as you disagree, sometimes loudly, you still find a way to agree at times. I second Joe's sentiments. It is almost tearful. :)

9. sublicon

sublicon New Member

You know, I lost the link to this thing someone sent me, which really doesn't matter since it was ridiculous anyway. However, it would be tasty as hell if true.

Basically, the gist was that Trig, Sarah Palin's child, was not actually her child but her daughter's. Apparently her daughter (i don't know which) had been out of school for a few months with the "mumps", and apparently Palin didn't even look pregnant before she gave birth.

Again, sounds completely ludicrous to me, but I thought it was pretty creative. Word is she's breastfeeding Trig and wouldn't be lactating had she not given birth to the kid, so obviously total bunk.

10. pettyfog

Sarah Palin... NUDE!

I was on that right away
    It was posted on kos and the last time I looked even the kos kidz werent too pleased to have it posted. Strangely enough, it is plausible.

However you should note that Down syndrome births are far more common in older mothers than teens.
    OOPS! That's WRONG on the face of it. Most DS babies are born to mothers under thirty. Because that is the prime child-bearing demographic. The point is that as the mother grows older the chances of a DS birth increase greatly.. to about 1 in 15, IIRC.
    - - -- - - - -- - - - - - -- - -
    heh... Palin nude pic going around.

On another site, talk of Palin lookalikes, someone mentioned Julia Louis Dreyfuss.
    so....... guess what!

:roll:
    - - - - -- - -
    Oh HELL! They just keep rolling in... and it aint even Monday and those people aren't down to SERIOUS WORK YET!!!
    First of these I saw Friday was some guy was doing google searches for Sarah in a two-piece, cause that would SURE do her in with those christians.
    {He might be the one that did the photoshop on 'Elaine's' nude, though.}

! Sarah and Todd's first kid was born 8 MONTHS after they eloped, according to that conservator of public morals, John Aravosis... THAT sure screws her with that RW Christian crowd, you betcha!!!!
    AINT NO GOOD GOD-FEARIN HEARTLAND CHRISTIAN GONNA VOTE FOR SOMEONE WHO HAD TO SHOTGUN THEIR MARRIAGE!!!!! Everyone in informed intellectual DC political circles knows that!

HE's still checking in on what Todd and his buddies on that fishing boat get on when out to sea all those days.

Andrew Sullivan: two kids named Piper and Willow... Satanic references? {Or maybe that was something from 'Charmed"}

Alan Colmes thinks she probably CAUSED that Down's syndrome with bad prenatal care.
    -But he thought twice when he realized he'd have to explain that to that idiot Hannity on-air. So he took it off his site. {Dont worry there's proof.}

HEr selection was an INSULT to REAL feminists EVERYWHERE. According to about half the Manhattan bull-cows who speak for women everywhere.
    - About ten percent say they're scared to death of her. The other 40% are undecided.

There's more MUCH more, all referenced and linked here.

Except it aint all of it. Not enough dreck?
    Here's some more:
    Like I said.. tomorrows the first working day, since.

11. pettyfog

Ah, well... just reading all that stuff even though it's amusing in a black-humor way. I felt like I needed an extra long shower. In Listerine.

Maybe need to figure out who I think Palin really IS:

Some say true conservative, not neo-con. How would you know that?

I think she's Conservative-Libertarian bent. But if she starts showing paleo-con tendencies, like Paul and Buchanan, I'm down on her like stink on a moose-turd.

Religion: Pentecostal. That's only a problem for east/west coast Metro quasi-Anglican know-nothings. MOST pentecostal services are as full of joy as black churches... but that's wrong 'cause she's WHITE? Not speaking in tongues, not handling snakes. Ol Timey Baptist, more like.
    And BTW: that's a WORKING CLASS denomination. So PLEASE focus on her 'trailer trash religion'!

She's critiqued as a creationist but the references provided for that have her distinctly saying she she's no reason why ID cant be DISCUSSED in schools. {Even articles cited in criticism say that.} That's a long way from 'Teaching it'. Seen no ref to her saying to kick Darwinism OUT. {Her dad was a career HS Science teacher, btw, so her heritage on that will become obvious}
    - The ONLY influence the executive has on this question is justice selection.

As 'anti-gay'? Well she vetoed a bill that would have tried to circumvent court rulings striking down reductions of benefits to same-sex state employee couples.

Was for the Bridge to NoWhere before she was again it. In her campaign she told Ketchikan voters she wanted to do something to improve their access. And was initially in favor of the bridge... when the cost was 250M. Later changed her mind, as estimate rose to 400M. Told affected voters they would have to settle for alternatives.
    - Even articles cited in criticism say that.

Anti-Abortion rights, even for rape and incest. That's probably the most problematical. But, again not likely to be an issue, except in justice selection.
    - She's obviously a states righter on this. But I doubt if she could get that draconian view codified even in Alaska.

Oil Corp taxes. When I first read she put a windfall tax on Oil co's I feel into the same trap everyone else did. But I forgot... in Alaska what that amounts to is increasing royalties the pumpers pay for Alaskan oil.
    - That's DIFFERENT than taxing the Corps on profit margins.

I said, above, the 'Abuse of Office' thing is crap. Keep harping on that if you want to look dumb, Dems... I mean MSM.

Speaking/debate skills - Be VERY afraid, Obama campaign. She works without a net, so you're sure she'll screw up. She will, but she'll recover nicely and use the correction to beat you over the head. Especially, she'll do well against Biden.
    -I watched the Dayton and Missouri speeches in entirety. She's the real deal, no teleprompter, and not word for word same speech, by any means.
    - There's already odds being taken on how many sentences Biden will get through in joint debate before he calls her 'sweetie'. I think Biden himself has even joked on that, already.

International Experience:
    Only thing that sticks is the negotiation/deal with Canada to build that gas pipeline. Probably angled to get most benefit for the buck. Pissed off a lot of the old boy/corporate network in Alaska and the states.
    - How many govs can say they got a massive deal like that done in 18 months in office? Takes a lot of 'em.. esp the lawyer types that long to find out where the mail room is.

Her state borders Russia territory - non-starter 'cause Putin hasnt tried to reclaim Alaska.... yet.

She's a very bright, fast study, though. Comparisons to Quayle are idiocy. Quayle was a LAWYER, remember? She isnt. Lawyers, especially lawyer/politicians, are idiot savants*.. often as not.
    *That's dumf&ck with memory retention skills for you civilians.

Sidenote: Wonder if MSM will try to counter her selling the state plane with her and Todd owning their OWN plane... thus they're 'elitist', too?

That'll fly!... not! {heh}

SidenoteII: Todd Palin is one smart and lucky dude! Hope he can deal with this pressure.
    - - - - -- - - - - - - - - -- - - --
    Mood-lifter:
    "Why the hell is McCain picking a running mate young enough to be his wife?!"

- now THAT's funny!

- - - -- - - - - - - -- - - - - -- - -
    Bristol is PREGGERS!! 17 yo daughter plans to marry the father.
    {according to McCain staffer, he knew about it}
    Just as Kos pretty much gave up the last charge about her, now they can renew that 'incest' speculation.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Jeezus; half the crap about her is how hot she is, and the other half is about whether her teenager is or was pregnant.

What about what she believes in, what she thinks, what she's accomplished, what she brings to the ticket, what campaign skills she has? We're talking about the VP here. How about a little dignity here? How about actually talking politics?

Okay, maybe now I'M Senator Crankypants, but I was tired about "what if Hillary has PMS during an international crisis," and I am tired of "well, maybe he's not ACTUALLY a Muslim," and I'm tired of "but look how old he is." Now I have to listen to "did she cover for her daughter's pregnancy?" and "isn't she hot?" and "did McCain get a third wife?"

Is there somebody somewhere ready to rise above the intellect of Access Friggin Hollywood? Somebody with a job in telecommunications, that is?

Yeah; definitely Senator Crankypants, me.

13. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

The daughter being pregnant is interesting. It will hurt her "perfect family" image with some of the religious right (i.e., while it may be good that the daughter is planning on keeping the child and marrying the father, she shouldn't have gotten pregannt during her Junior year of High School in the first place).

It's also interesting about Obama's reaction to the news. i.e., "families are off-limits, especially children." A brilliant move, IMO. Not only does it make him look like a saint for not overtly capitalizing on it, but every time in the campaign that the press mentions Obama's "familes are off-limits" policy, it will remind everyone that Palin's high school aged daughter is pregnant. It will also completely prevent the GOP from coming anywhere near attacks on the the Obama/Biden families.

I'm not seeing anything so far that tells me this will be a contest at all. Gustav is really hurting the GOP's ability to get their message out as strongly as the Dems did and as more and more of Palin's personal views come to light, she'll lose and more of the Hillary supporters (i.e., being a no exception Pro-Lifer).

14. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

The only thing I disagree w/ Don on this point is that I wish to be Senator Crankypants. Why was it easier for me to find out all the peripheral crap going on in her life rather than her voting record and positions?

"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people" H. L. Mencken.

15. pettyfog

Well, Sen Crankypants.. here ya go, the latest:
    When she was mayor of Wasilla, she hired a lobbyist to get 27 Mill worth of earmark funds.

Now comes parsing time.

1. Were those funds already in place for Alaska?
    - If so, she served her constituents very well. If she CAUSED the earmark to be put into a spending bill in DC, then at that time she was playing the 'good ol' boy' side of the game.

2. At that time was she already on the oil and gas commission? No.. I think everyone's going to note her activity on that commission shaped the rest of her public life.

There's no 'there', there in the Moneghhan/Wooten thing. There's no 'there', there in the Bridge advocation. She looked closer and changed her mind.
    Same here.

Her Current Mantra is "It's time for Alaska to give BACK.." And of course that will result in more revenue and jobs for Alaska, but SO WHAT. It's part of the Oil Dependency crisis response.

Sidenote: There's been polling done on the result of Palin's selection on various voting blocs.
    Surprise! It had very little effect on women, according to the poll. MUCH more on men.
    I'm hazarding a guess that thePUMA's who were going to vote for McCain, anyway just were solidified.
    - Read that forum index, lays it out pretty well. I read that site for reference, I dont think they generally reflect the bulk of Hillary Supporters, with the exception that some of them think the only chance Hillary has for 2012. They want Palin v Clinton.

But I know for SURE it energized Conservative men. Who were desperately looking for a reason to support McCain rather than stay home.

Finally Bill Kristol 'quotes' some Dem talking head, {WITHOUT attributing!}:

"Putting Palin into a debate with Joe Biden is like throwing Howdy Doody into a knife fight."
    Whoever said that SHOULD be named and known. It would make things even more fun than they are now.

16. pettyfog

Liz Trotta is on FNC right now saying she is hearing MANY Conservatives phone in on 'Family Values' saying that Palin flies in the face of all they believe.

MIS-Direction!
    Anyone who listens to Rush and {ugh} Hannity knows what a 'seminar caller'* is; Evidently Trotta doesnt.

* Managed action using a script to get your point heard. Often used in blog comments and pretty common on talk shows. You pretend to be your enemy and promote anything that will make them look bad. New term coined for them: "Moby"

17. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

'Fog. I'm hearing a lot of disgruntlement from the conservative Republicans I know. They see Palin as the "bone McCain threw them to get them to vote" and the teenage pregnancy thing isn't helping matters. I can see their point a bit; if you're going to be the "representative exemplar of family values" you don't have a daughter get pregnant in High School.

Now, as a parent myself, I fully understand that we can but teach our kids correct values and then have to let them manage themselves, but I can also hear the future argument in homes across the nation "If the vice president's daughter can get pregnant in high school, why can't I?"

18. pettyfog

Where EXACTLY do you hear it from?

I'm not a good example of the 'conservative Republican'. Nor a 'christian conservative' so I can only speak for myself.
    But I think if you're hearing what you SAY you're hearing, it certainly isnt from the folks that go to their 'Assemblies of God' {supposedly Palin's denomination} three times a week. Not the ones I know, anyway.
    Beware of the 'MOBY'!

I've found some People... even some who attend Lutheran or Methodist churches dont seem to have a clue!
    {Italicized edited for clarity of my point.}

I'm not saying I dont have a bias...but, believe me, if the MSM thinks this is going to turn off that "RWCC' bunch, they are going to have to find a lot more ammo than this.

Just my opinion, of course.
    - - - -- - - -- - - --
    Nice writeup on Bristol and Levi: 'No secret in Wasilla'
    - Gonna have an influx of women from the lower 48 to alaska to snatch onna them 'hunky men'? ;)

The comments, though, are not so nice.

"This means the GOP minions will scout to find 'behavioral probs' with Obama Daughters"

'It's okay for Palin's kids to have sex, just not anyone else'

19. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

'fog. People at work, some other blogs and discussion boards I frequent. i.e., people I trust not to "troll." I think the outcry is far less because it isn't "PC" to knock someone because their daughter got pregnant; nonetheless, it will impact how they vote (or in most cases, be the reason they stay home).

It's still early days, though. It may be a relative non-issue come November.

20. pettyfog

As long as they say it affects their judgement of the issues, fine. Then you can believe them. But remember the old polling trick. If you want to know what the guy really thinks, ask him what his neighbor thinks. And SOMETIMES that's reversed.

There's surprises galore in store and no one can say for certain what ends up affecting what.. look already on the polls right after Palin was announced. Women stayed steady, whatever the reason.

Here's a thought I just had on it. The press is treating this like it's the "Springer Show" but isnt it more like 'As the World Turns'?

heh...

- - - -- - - - - - - --
    And More:

"Palin supported Pat Buchanan, who many jews call a nazi sympathizer"
    - Mark Bubriski in email to Miami Herald
    Which ignited a shitstorm on MSNBC 'Morning Joe'
    Backstory: Palin once wore a Buchanan button when he visited.
    - I dont like Pat Buchanan... you should know that.. but..
    - Question: How long till Scarborough gets sick of his network and quits?

"Sarah Palin has ties to Alaska Independence Party, of which some members favor secession."
    - But has been reg'd Republican at same time.

{snark}
    Breaking: Barack Obama is the candidate of the Democrat Party..of which some members favor secession... every four years or so."{/snark}

{RE-snark} Come to think of it, though... I favor their secession, too!{/ slash}