The Rule Change that Saved Football

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Jun 21, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

My evening perusal of the poli-blogs produced this unexpected nugget from Paul Mirengoff, one of the three Musketeers of PowerLineBlog and rabid Everton fan:

I'd never thought of this, but I think he has a point about prohibiting the GK from handling pass-backs as...
    The rule change that saved soccer

2. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but the backpass rule came into effect in 1990, just after Liverpool won their last league title? Hmmmmmmmmm.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

You're not wrong, actually.1992

Like you I had the impression from that piece it was set in the early 80's.

What the article does, though, is argue the case for 'long-ball' and falls into arguments I've made for occasional use of the lng kick forward...
    To wit: Passing the ball around in the backfield is by no means 'pretty football'

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

agree with that, 'fog; but I also like the no=backpass rule. The unintended consequence -- and there always is one -- was the demise of the sweeper. Since goalkeepers had to be able to "handle" with their feet as well as their hands under the new rule, they became the new sweepers.

I remember clearly one of the first internationals under the new rules when Tony Meola had a brain cramp and picked up a back pass in a match against Colombia. Rene Higuita -- the Colombian gk took the indirect FK in the area and the US lost. If you wonder what the "old fitba" looked like, keep an eye on FSC's England "classics" for any match in the 1980s and before. That rule and the use of cards rather than just "bookings" improved the game tremendously IMHO.

5. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

GaryBarnettFanClub pointed out this rule change and its effect on the game along with a lot of other observations that I am still thankful he shared with soccer newbies like me. I forget what thread it was.