The Road to Hell..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Jul 7, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

..is paved with Good Intentions.
    Someone said that once. Actually a LOT of people probably came up with that independently.

Well, Barry's come up with a new path: Mandated Community Service. Oh, he didnt SAY it would be a mandate... but the madness is in the method:

. . .Ask what your government can make you do for your country

Note that JFK inspired by creating a voluntary vehicle for service, the Peace Corps. It was a success.

What Barry wants to do is institute programs at the local level, to be abused -yet again- by school officialdom.

Like the writer says, the best way MIGHT be to teach History and Civics the way it was done back in the fifties. Let peer and parental pressure do the rest.

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Barry...........

I can't decide if that nickname is cute, or too cute. I'm leaning towards the latter. You can probably do better, 'fog.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I keep seeing the word "goal" not the word "mandatory" -- must be time to change my glasses, I guess.

4. pettyfog

2 responses

PCB makes more of my use on nickname 'than it is'

Don makes less of the thread point 'than it is'

Don, I clearly said the madness is in the method, did I not. Now how did YOU discern the method advocated in reaching that goal?

You didnt answer before when I asked exactly WHY Liberals seem to think everyone should go to college.. how about putting down for posterity just what you think Obama is thinking, there.

5. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

If I may, Don.

People should get a college education, to.....uh, LEARN MORE.

Sometimes the best answer really is the most obvious. I'm not saying people will be more successful in life or have any special wisdom, but one thing I feel confident saying is, they will generally know substantively more than those people who do not go to college. What they do with that substance is another story.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

thanks, christian; I was obviously too busy questioning Petty's patriotism to respond.

Is it just me, or is this stuff weirder today than usual?

7. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

He has a wilder hair than usual tickling his bum.

8. pettyfog

I just read the latest DSCC email... all I need to get up for it

And, by the way, Franek... my opinion is that the typical college Sophomore is actually DUMBER and less informed than the B graded HS Senior of 40-50 years ago. Only my opinion, of course.

It's further my opinion that liberals believe the indoctrination is done best in the halls of academe, away from a steadying parental influence. I cant prove that either.

It's further my opinion that Libs would like nothing better than to see direct correlation between Educational level and personal income, no matter individual drive and determination to succeed. No more freakin big house, 2 cars and a boat for your plumbers, mechanics, and furnace service guys fucrineoutloud!

That way there can be a solid dependent base from which to draw votes. Buyt that woulld fall under 'Conspiracy' wouldnt it.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

yeah, you're right, Christian; bilge this noxious has to have resulted from a seriously wild hair. This is barely even coherent to me, and I was about to become a HS senior 45 YEARS AGO!

Let's see. To make sure that your children DON'T get indoctrinated into a particular political philosopy, it's better to keep them out of college and, instead, feed them plenty of Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, Bill Kristol, and Seig Heil Barbie. SHEESH!

10. pettyfog

sieg heil?

heh....

11. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Ah yes, your opinion. And here I was talking facts. So much for reason.

12. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

What facts were you talking about . . . the hair tickling Petty's bum?

13. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Ok, I give, who is Seig Heil Barbie?

Actually, if we're shooting for the brightest, wouldn't it make the most sense to have kids go to college and drop out? Plenty of examples of succesful people to draw from for that list. Seriously though, not everyone is cut out for college, so even if he were suggesting making it mandatory, I'd think it's a bad idea. You'd need other alternatives.

And Don, you're not alone, I wasn't able to deduce mandatory from that either.

14. Clevelandmo

I have to agree with Petty, this mandatory service idea would be a mess. When will learn that we just need to go back to teaching the core subjects, plus one or two new things like computers. The schools (and parents) are doing enough wrong at the moment, why give them something else to muck up. However, I do like Obama's intent - stressing service. I'm tired of the ever increasing "I deserve, I'm entitled" mentalilty of our culture and would welcome JFK's words of "Ask not ....."

I also agree that trying to get everyone to go to college is counterproductive. We need a vocational track for kids who arent interested or good at academics. We need skilled mechanics, electricians, plumbers, technicians, etc and since we need them they should be well paid. There is also no point in trying to get everyone to go to college because we have a system, unlike other countries, in which it is never too late. Some people arent ready at 18 years of age, but they are at 27. Colleges are already having to dumb down their curriculum and offer useless degree tracks.

I'm kind of surprised at this proposal because I read a speech by Obama on education and he did not mention it. What he did mention was this and I have no problem with it.

15. Clevelandmo

The word mandatory isnt in there but when you tie it to receiving federal assistance then it might essentially be mandatory.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Mo: "might be" and "is" ain't the same. I might be rich, but I'm not. Similarly, I think it's a reasonable goal to make it possible for everyone to have a chance at college. I don't thing Obama is talking about using the National Guard to force unwilling children into state universities. I don't see how ANYONE can think that coercion is part of his plan.

FulhamAg: it's my sweet little nickname for the sweet little blonde who is, to this date, the only woman I've ever wanted to punch in the mouth: Ann Coulter. And it only took about three years of her calling me a traitor to do it.

17. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Everybody already has a chance at college... it's called community college. This is one of Bill Clinton's calling cards. He pushed the proliferation of community colleges and more non-competitive state 4 year institutions. Most states have started a whole bunch of schools in the last 10 to 20 years.

What I'd like to see is more technical schools and job re-location centers. It's the working class that has problems. They're slow to re-tool and slow to move across the country to where their skill is needed. I mean, you don't need to go to college to push some buttons at the car factory.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

well, am I safe in assuming that we're all agreed that Obama doesn't want to force people to go to colleges and, at the same time, prevent them from going to technical schools? I really hope so, because I didn't see anything like that in his speech.

Lyle, there's a shortage of these where you live? Because there's several local schools as well as national schools that have franchises here. Some of the schools offer financing -- you pay when you've gotten your job. They advertise CONSTANTLY and seem to concentrate on medical-related stuff [SA has a huge medical center complex].

One thing to remember, however, about the "you don't need to go to college to push some buttons at the car factory" comment. In the 1970s and 80s when jobs began to be relocated [it was only in the northeast then so most people didn't care], having job skills didn't help. People were rightly flummoxed when they were told that after 27 years in a steel mill or assembling vehicles, they could move "into computers."

In any case, I'd like to see more educational opportunities of all sorts. I'm just worried about the fact that we're already de-emphasizing civic education in our public schools, and that conservative blogs and talk show hosts have been trashing college as cesspools of communism for around 20 years now. There's already too much disparity in incomes. I'd like us not to create one education system for the working/serving/unemployed poor and another for the children of wealth and connections. It was, after all, Jefferson's dream that America become a meritocracy -- where ambition and intellect could be fed by education and continually make us a better nation.

Maybe I'm nuts, but I thought we were better off when the guy in the White House was a poor son of a single mother from a little Arkansas town, who got everything because of his education. Contrast this with a mediocre son of a wealthy, politically connected family who brags about his C average in the college he got into the day he was born. Perhaps I was wrong, though. Perhaps we SHOULD be telling these poor working-class children from single-parent families that they SHOULD only go to trade schools. Who knows? I'm wrong all the time.

19. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Wouldn't that make us.......ENGLAND?? :shock:

20. Lyle

Lyle New Member

God no about the last part. Everyone should be told to try to get to college... but if it is not for you here's a trade school or here is a military recruiter.

I don't know of any 'MAJOR' trade schools. There are definitely trade schools all around, but maybe they could do a better job at what they do. The problem is low income workers are slow to re-train and then move somewhere else. Somehow this should be facilitated better... if it even can. I mean if a car plant shuts down in Michigan and one opens up in Alabama... people in Michigan need to move to Alabama. Which, I guess is happening to a certain extent, but it is just hard to tell.

Texas is also blessed with a ton of wealth and has some great educational oppurtunties. A lot of other States aren't as fortunate though.

... by the way, nothing Bush has done has made the U.S. any less of a meritocracy than it was under Clinton.