The political gripe thread--from Strange Days

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by dcheather, Nov 14, 2013.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Re: Strange days

Umm...the sources being some of the American Indians themselves? You do need to expand your reading on this issue and perhaps stop looking at it from a left v right political issue. Because it's a bit more complicated than that. To me I think Mr. Billy Mills sums up the issue better than most:

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.c ... ust-152165

Now I don't know about the detrimental effects on children with mascots, that seems a stretch to me. It just doesn't make much sense to say your honoring a race of people by making them a sports mascot, seems pretty demeaning to me unless that is who you actually are, like the Haskell Indians. Again, to me the appropriate way to go on this is to ask a tribes permission to use their name if you want to honor them by representing them in a sporting venue...see Florida Seminoles. This isn't Americans assimilating different cultures or taking a little bit of this and that and making it their own. Quite a number of tribe were forced from their lands and were forced by the US government to stop their customs and traditions. And now we're shitting over their old customs by doing stupid chants and tomahawk chops in sporting arenas, as if American Indian ever walked around doing that shit. Our country screwed American Indians over pretty good, if some of them want us to stop using them as fucking mascots I think we should respect them by listening to their complaints over the issue.

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Re: Strange days

I often dont understand what 'fog is on about, but I read the article he linked. It's a stupid article.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Heather, I have read 'both sides'. I did research some time ago on the primary complainant and there's evidence he doesnt qualify as a tribal elder in the nation he claims to represent. ie; He saw a leadership vacuum and stepped into it.
    Consider this... the chief complaint of the native american should be that they were historically treated as children. I dont think there's any doubt of that. So why are we STILL treating them as children and giving voice to their tantrums?

However the point of this article and my comment is that things have gotten so turned on their heads that someone is trying to claim that we must have permission to honor diversity by adopting cultural influences. Of course that is the height of ridiculous concern.
    Well... I guess the good thing is that we {white western euro} ARE allowed to talk about it... for now.
    Unlike what happens when we actually dispute the idea of the Noble Savage living in harmony with the earth and his neighbors.

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

No fog, American Indians are not children throwing a tantrum. I am sorry that is how you see it. Let me see if I understand you correctly here, lets say person A insults person B, person B objects to the insult and asks for an apology, person A refuses to do so. Who would be the child throwing a tantrum in this scenario? To me it's the jackass who made an insult in the first place and refuses to take it back. It's a team name that's been changed before and has even changed cities, if anybody should be "getting over it" it should be the sports fans.

5. pettyfog

If you aren't majority American indian, do you have the right to have a voice in it? Perhaps there should be a plebiscite of those with at least 1/16 blood?

My Kids are 1/32 like Liz Warren.. I married of course to 1/16 Cherokee.

But whatever ... the idea of asking permission to adopt cultural ideas and or styles is just ridiculous.

6. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Last I heard, Liz Warren was most likely not to have any American Indian blood. Her ancestors probably claimed to be Cherokee when it was beneficial to do so, during land allotments. Her ancestors are not found on the Dawes Rolls, so she is very unlikely to be a member of any of the 5 civilized tribes that made their way to Oklahoma.

However, to me it doesn't matter if you're an American Indian or not on this issue. You just have to be human to understand that personal want or need have some others show you some respect for your identity. I know for a fact that Redskin is considered a very derogatory term to some tribes. But I should add you're not going to get unanimous agreement among American Indians on the name change issue, there's 567 federally recognized tribes scattered across the States. Perhaps a more pertinent question could be, what number of tribes or American Indians can we cause offense? My answer would be zero. It's their identity as a people, and we should show some respect where we haven't always before. (I am part Indian just not a member of a tribe, although my kids and husband are members of Cherokee nation--husband votes in every tribal election)

And I'd agree asking to borrow ideas or styles from other cultures is asinine, we as humans have been adopting from others since time began.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Senator, it's the usual right-wing thing. If anyone is offended at anything like this, then it's because they're childish or entitled or over-sensitive due to whatever. What the right likes to get offended by is IMPORTANT stuff like "the war against Christmas," or what the Pope has to say about economic policy.

Interestingly, the right has no problems insulting huge groups of people by marginalizing them as whining children. People they insult should just be tougher and think that it's making them strong.

Sound familiar? Yeah, it's nothing more than school-yard bullying. Nothing new to see here.

8. Clevelandmo

How's that for stereotyping millions of people.

9. Clevelandmo

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9689220/redskins-name-change-not-easy-sounds
    The article doesnt mention Vikings, Yankees, Eskimos and other team names that refer to a "race" of people. I read an article once that ranked the Cleveland Indians as the most racist and offensive sports team because of the Chief Wahoo logo. It has been an issue here locally with people calling to get rid or it, but it hasnt happened yet. All I can say is many, many sports team logos are caricatures of their namesake. Real vikings probably didnt look anything like what you see in the Vikings logo, revolutionary patriots didn't have skin as white as the Patriot logo, and Irish people dont look like the guy in the Notre Dame logo.

Also, some university's team used to be the Redmen and they ended up changing their name even though it originated from the fact that their uniforms were red and had nothing to do with native Americans. I'm not joking when I say, I was initially uncomfortable with the Fulham chant of "come on you whites" because I wondered how it made someone like Eddie Johnson feel. I wonder how Fulham fans would react if people started calling for an end to those names and chants because they are offensive.

10. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Author is full of shit, because there are number American Indian groups that have been trying for years to end the name Redskins and eradicate the use of them being used as mascots. But pick and choose what fits your narrative, right fog?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRribtqdXGw

http://www.ncai.org/policy-issues/commu ... on-mascots
    And there is no comparison between those other team names, NONE.

11. Clevelandmo

I counted seven people in that video. You can find people with virtually any opinion. I'm Irish and I am not a mascot either. The Irish certainly have a long history of persecution and some even claim genocide. The Ole Miss rebels? Why shouldnt that name be equally offensive to black people in this country? People are offended by the Confederate flag, why not the Rebels?

Legend here in Cleveland is that before our baseball team was named the Cleveland Indians, fans started calling them the Indians because the best player on the team was a Native American. Maybe they said it in a derogatory way or maybe they said it in an honorary way, I dont think anyone knows for sure. Just not sure it's something you want to get rid of it was actually in honor of the team's first best player. Should we really rid the country of all sport team names related to native americans. Seems to me that would be like effectively ignoring the indigenous cultures of this country completely, marginalizing their significance even more than we already have.

12. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Mo, here is my stance on the issue:

- See more at: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1280&start=30#sthash.ryE9FXhU.dpuf

Btw...Irish isn't a derogatory term referring to your ethnicity. Fighting Irish? Perhaps, especially with a stupid leprechaun in a boxing stance (but I think my bias against Notre Dame is showing now? And why do they want to associated with the French anyhow? Btw, part Irish and French) However, Redskin is a derogatory term to refer to American Indians:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/redskinred·skin (rdskn)
    You don't see professional sports teams called spics, honkeys, or the "n-word."

I can point out more references, if needed, pointing out American Indians are offended by the term Redskin than just those 7 tribal leaders (who were elected to represent their tribe or nation). But I'll ask the same question I asked before, how many American Indians and tribes it ok to offend?

So we keep American Indians in our thoughts by a making money off their image through a sports team; and, just for fun, do stereotyped chants and tomahawk chops otherwise they'll be even more marginalized and forgotten? Nah, I think we can do better than that. And again, I think it would be better to ask individual tribes to use their names and images. Perhaps some cultural enlightenment about the tribe can take place this route as well? Tribes across this country are sometimes quite unique from each other and that is lost on quite a number of Americans who think "plains Indians" when American Indians are mentioned. There's no way a generic Indian sports team honors the entire American Indian community, it's just not possible. It's like saying a Chinese sports team honors the entire Asian population.

Btw, here's another group demanding a mascot change. Does this help people understand what the fuss is, or no? Please take look at the picture, it's pretty easy to see why offense is taken:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/cal ... story.html

And the school is refusing to change. But since they're not American Indian, I bet they get quicker action on it being changed (since many white people don't claim to be part Arab that tan easy in the summer and have high cheek bones).

13. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

Come on Don, you just labeled every Republican in the country. Usually you have something a little more intelligent to add.

Heather, is this honestly how you feel? "Perhaps a more pertinent question could be, what number of tribes or American Indians can we cause offense? My answer would be zero - See more at: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1280&start=45#sthash.64rEFC6W.dpuf"

I lean towards agreeing with you overall in this argument, but have you ever seen leaders make decisions that haven't offended at least one person? Like I mentioned, I tend to agree with you. I worked for and now work with the Ute Tribe from Utah. Similar to FSU, the school met with tribal elders and have full support from the tribe for using Utes as the nickname. I just hate to say that decisions should be based on everyone being happy and no one being offended. I don't think that happens in "real life"

14. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Could we honestly reach at point in life where there are zero people being offended about anything? Nope, I can cede that point. But it's hard to see where you draw the line on the number of natives we should be allowed to offend with the term "Redskin." So if there is one tribe offended by it, does that make it okay? It's hard to say yes when you know the harsh reason why it's so offensive to some.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2013/11/14/2 ... skins.html

[​IMG]

15. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

I absolutely understand why it is considered offensive, but just not sure i would put a number on what's acceptable for being offended. And is there a time factor that says something should no longer be offensive?

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I hope I didn't label EVERY Republican, Rog. But if you're comfortable identifying yourself with a party that gains votes by race baiting and gay bashing, then the label fits. If, on the other hand, you're a Republican who believes in small government and the private sector making most decisions AND you're uncomfortable with the race baiting and gay bashing, with the tendency to call liberals traitors, then you're not "the right" that I'm talking about.

The modern Republican Party has embraced ignorance, bullying, and divisiveness in order to get enough extremists out to vote to remain in power. There are STILL plenty of real conservatives out there -- I know quite a few -- and most of them will agree with my characterization. It's a very sad thing that the party of Lincoln is now pandering to folks most comfortable echoing the aims of the KKK, but if you don't identify yourself with that sort of thing, then what I've said shouldn't offend you in the slightest.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Now, back to the question at hand, is there any compelling reason to keep the name Redskins? Is there someone whose rights will be infringed upon if it is changed? Is there an ethic group that will be offended if it's changed?

I'm asking because all I've seen in opposition to changing the name is that it's political correctness run amok, it's the victim mentality, it's the tyranny of the minority. Here's a good translation for those arguments: "It doesn't offend me, so I don't really care if it offends anyone else."

18. pettyfog

How about turning that on its head? Anything someone says will offend someone, somewhere. In the case of the Redskins, and most other cases of the genre, it's the intention that counts. Surely I dont have to point out that the original owners of the team did not intend it as a slur and certainly current Washington fans don't.
    How about I register complaints against someone who refers to me as 'gringo' on some ethnic issue? Or 'whitebread'? That would be ridiculous and I would be justly derided.

19. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

The intention rings hollow in both cases. The owner basically changed the name because they moved to Fenway Park and wanted to keep the valuable Indian marketing scheme (Red Sox, RedSkin), he hired Willie "Lone Star" Dietz after the name change. To Marshall American Indians were really nothing more than a valuable marketing scheme. BTW, Dietz was a fraud...like so many before and after him, he claimed Indian blood where there was most likely none. Marshall and current fans can try their best to offer excuses for keeping a racial slur as a professional sports team name, but like Don said there has not been one compelling argument for keeping a racial slur for something as trivial as a Sports team name--because in the end you're saying a Sports team name has more worth than a group of people.

Also, I can't see such a team named Houston Spics or Minnesota Honkeys being tolerated by the general public, nor should it. And, if there's a professional sports team that starts up calling itself the Gringos and you're offended 'Fog, I will protest the team name with you because racial slurs shouldn't be something that's celebrated in this country.

20. Clevelandmo

The association with the French is just a woman right? French women are great, French men . . . . that's a different story.

Now here is a requested Indian name change that I see as much more relevant. Can you imagine giving your child a name that means "unwanted" ?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wor...ing-names-translate-unwanted-article-1.965669