The political gripe thread--from Strange Days

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by dcheather, Nov 14, 2013.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Re: Strange days

I think Don's point isn't necessarily about the attacks on a particular website, I believe he has trouble with people who call themselves patriots while attacking a US website.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and, more specifically, who attack the website to hamper its effectiveness and then attack the government for having a bad website. All of this, of course, in the cause of continuing to deny health care to millions of Americans who need it badly -- not to mention the added bonus of attacking our black president.

Of course, they didn't even notice the president was black when they attacked.

3. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I'm going to have to fix what I started. This thread has gone off the rails. :lol:

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

my abject apologies.

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

No need to apologize, I started it with my gripe about the flu I think. :cool: I don't really agree with what you said above though. Perhaps I can argue my counter points at a later time.

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Good call Heather.... You're the boss.
    I'm not focusing much on the Pols and their silliness. 'We' elected them and all we can do is watch, laugh, groan and point.

My major source of irritation is the media and how they ignore anything that doesnt fit their template and take the easy path. Look at any breaking lib POV in media then look at Media Matters, TPM, Democratic underground and follow the timeline. Drudge? Sure... but as Don would say, I dont read Drudge as much as I read those on referral..

One point I haven't seen mentioned on any of my "Right Wing" blogs is the question of why the medicare.gov website wasnt copied and expanded instead of the cluster-f**k they have now. It works great, comparativeley.

Remember, folks ACA IS the law, selective enforcement is a path to chaos. Any reversion to former Ins plans will fail, ending up in lawsuits galore, and no company in their right mind would offer. Just sayin'. How long till major media points that out?

7. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

It was always going to do that once you slapped that title on it, sadly. In any other world, going from cold and flu ignorance to taking a dump in Palin's mouth would be absurd, but when you say politics and throw in a couple of nutters, it not only makes sense, it's almost predictable.

8. pettyfog

Ah... I'm looking back fondly to the heady days of post election 2008 where there was a consensus that at the best our long national nightmare on race-based division was over and at the worst we now had a platform for frank and open discussion on minority status and rights.
    "Obamacare website attacked because 'racism'. "
    Good to see that is working out.
    Next Up?: "Presidential approval polls show millions of Americans becoming racist!"

The real question is if we cant have this discussion here, among a group focusing on a totally unrelated subject, where can we have it? This society is sick, and getting sicker.
    The answer is not "Because .. SHUT UP!" The answer is "EXPLAIN THAT!"
    That goes for everyone.
    I sure dont want MSNBC shut down or Bashir, Matthews et co silenced I want what they say illuminated and analysed. IN CONTEXT.

9. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

"hamper its effectiveness"? It was never effective to begin with. The administration doesn't deny that they are to blame for the problems. Also, if the website was affected by hackers this early in the process, that is a problem. A website that has people's personal information cant be so vulnerable cyber attacks - that should have been the number one priority. There are plenty of people out there who can build a secure website. And implying this is because the President is black. Come on. The guy lied knowingly and willingly to the public about this healthcare bill. People have already ignored the lies he told about the auto bailout, benghazi, fast and furious, and the IRS. How much more do we have to ignore before we can voice displeasure with the guy and not be called a racist?

Oh and if you're going to play that game, then I guess the guys attacking Sarah Palin didnt even notice she is a woman.

10. Clevelandmo

Yikes . . . and we may have just been hacked again. And just in time . . . . I was needing a fix of naked lady pictures

11. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Nope, spammed by Ukraine and Russian bots. Surprised my one spam bot countermeasure question lasted as long as it did, figured it would have been cracked much sooner. Now I am afraid my current question might not make much sense. Hmmm. :think:

12. pettyfog

Spam bots go with the territory and have. My kid gave me my own 'pettyfoggery blog' site on his server but I quickly abandoned it because of the bots. Blogger provides protections.
    Don, once again you are projecting. You point out 5 or so directed attacks on the ACA site. That is far from a coordinated targeted effort. And it's true that it's a stupid effort. The site design is its own worst enemy and the sooner it gets working the more problems in the ACA and site security will be exposed.
    That's already happening, of course.

But... you just keep on expressing your feelings, and ignoring the facts, and I'll just keep on chuckling at silliness of Democrats' reactions. Like blaming House GOP for problems on the site.- clarified

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I must have missed the section where I blamed the house GOP for the cyber attacks.

14. pettyfog

My fault.. fixed.

But here's an example of why I want the site to work at least well enough to make the obvious points.
    http://www.politico.com/story/2013/...act-prices-health-insurance-100226.html?hp=l1

Like I said before.... It's the law, suckers.. it got passed, now you see what's in it. Suck it up and deal!
    My MAIN point isn't the straight politics of the thing, it's the failure of the crony mainstream press* to actually do any investigative reporting of details. Like the bad things they saw or stuff they didnt understand would magically go away.

* AKA 'Corporate Media', when they disagree with the Lefty narrative. Which explains a lot

15. pettyfog

Continuing on in the chain of self replies.. this is Un Be Freaking lievable!!!
    HuffPo: Cultural Appropriation 101
    'We need to ask permission..'Seriously?!!!!
    Ann Althouse: 'Is it ever okay to appropriate...'
    - Read the comments, she just lobs it up, the commenters hit it out of the park.

But Glenn Reynolds sums it up exactly:
    As one of the Althouse commenters writes: 'Advocating Cultural Apartheid?'
    - Well, I know who does that.. or tries to: The French. We want to be like the French.. really?
    But maybe it's not so stupid of the pose{u}rs when you consider the sources of the Redskin mascots foofrah..

Hell, we ALL know where our music comes from.... Do we need to pay reparations for that, too? What percentage do Scots-Irish get? Maybe 10%?

ADDED: But it goes further than being our heritage as 'Americans', it's our ANGLO heritage. Look at historical German and Spanish cultures in US. We adopt from them more/faster than they adopt from us. And thatmakes us evil? How does that square with the concept of 'diversity'?

16. Clevelandmo

Uhh ohhh. Someone better shut this site down. Soccer - oh how disrespectful, I mean football - is not American. We are belittling the English and Brazilian cultures by pretending to be football fans. I'm so ashamed of my racism :oops:

17. pettyfog

Change of subject to relatively safe opinion:
    When the Pope condemns 'trickle down' economics.

Again from Glenn Reynolds:
    IOW: How the F**k would he know!!! He's never even lived anywhere 'free market' - and I am NOT talking Ron Paul's version. And certainly not Mitch McConnell's.
    Think it's an accident the good Senator despises the Tea Party?

I aint listening to Rome on the contraception question, which IS pure Paternalistic Bullshit. I aint listening to Rome on economics.

Not a doubt in my mind that's true and don't see how you could rebut it. OTOH, we who lived in the 'good times' built those nest eggs easily. Given the current economical paradigm, the alternative is horrible to think about.
    I say again... the only fix for problems caused by Keynes is more Keynes. When we cut off Keynesian solutions we will start to get better but it's gonna be like drug rehab.

It's YOUR fault the economy sux. How complainers wreck the economy

heh...I don't know what this guy's politics are... but it doesn't matter. This is a classic case of glass half full or half empty. The employment stats tell us we're in deep shit. I mean the workforce participation, not the phony unemp stats.
    Gold Price and Dow Jones tells us something different. Though you should just apply the inflation stats you see on a loaf of bread to the stock values, to see true value.
    Actually I'm amazed at the robust nature we are seeing. {Here's a hint... without a LOT more enrollment in trade and Community college type schools where people actually learn to do something rather than write opinions and lobby politicians, the workforce will never recover.. may not, even then.}

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Evidently Ms. Maureen knows what Mr 'fog is on about. His posts are so full of inside jokes and self-congratulatory sniggers that I keep losing the point of what he's supposed to be saying.

19. pettyfog

Lol... my work for the day is done! :banana-guitar:

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

for writing to become communication, there needs to be a sender and a receiver. The sender needs to write with the receiver in mind. If Mo is your only intended audience, I guess you're doing well. But if you want the rest of us to get anything out of all your research, you might want to keep the rest of us in mind.