The next logical step

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, Feb 18, 2010.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

This is just breaking very close to home. An angry man, the owner of a software company in Austin, burned down his house, drove to the Georgetown Airport, boarded his aircraft and flew it into an office building which houses a regional IRS office -- 199 IRS employees work there, so it's not tiny. Not long ago, his "suicide manifesto" was printed. Here it is

A sad story indeed, even if the only death turns out to be his. It's not hard to see from his screed what he's been listening to and what he's been watching. It's yet another case of extremists whipping up anger and resentment and doing it so effectively that a suicide bombing results. Today's tragedy is the next logical step of the non-stop drumbeat of anti-government, anti-administration hatred. If you honestly believe that the American government is your enemy, this is the next logical step.

By the way, On the newspaper web site I pulled the information from, there was a sidebar article: NO TERROR LINK

Of course not; the guy was a white American -- that means that is was NOT a terrorist act.

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Ummmhmmm.

Good to see you actually post a view. Even if it embarasses later, that's something.

But if you expect me to fall in line with that jump from the edge, you're nuts..
    -------------------------------------------
    And dont post whole texts.

3. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

Don, I agree with you...I think.

By that I mean, I agree with you unless you think this "anti-administration hatred" has only become an issue in the past year or so. The anti-Obama zealots are, IMO, no more strident and repulsive than the anti-Bush zealots were before...the "Chimpy McHitler" crowd was no better than the "birther" crowd is today.

What was the name of that movie with, I think, Michael Douglas about the engineer in California who goes over the edge and embarks on a killing spree? This seems to be life imitating art.

4. pettyfog

Re: RE: The next logical step

Jp.. Thanks for bringing that up.

Let's have a little leavening here folks. We dont have the facts.

I wouldnt be at all surprised if he did have some TP connection but it sure isnt apparent that he reserved his bile just for the guvmint. They {IRS} seemed to be simply the last straw.

- - - - - - -- - - - - - -
    And, gee, this is just a wild insane uninformed thought, lacking of course in credentials of learned and academically trained in Civics, but it seems to me that joining a grassroots protest movement - and we dont know he didnt- would be a healthier outlet for his built up rage and resentment.

Of course the downside to that is it wont build as easily to the point of millions of Joe Stacks erupting in mass anarchy.

5. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

RE: Re: RE: The next logical step

This sounds really suspicious...makes me think his troubles with the IRS are all of his own doing, and his "persecution" is likely imaginary.

In the interest of full disclosure, though, I should point out that I am a practicing Catholic, employed by a Catholic school, and I send my 5 children to Catholic schools. The Catholic church receives no special treatment. They get the same exemptions as every other well-established religious group. The only difference is that the Catholic church owns a lot more property than most other churches, what with the network of schools, universities and hospitals that the church operates.

So, this part of his rant strikes me as being extremely bigoted, and it colors the way I read the rest. If he is an anti-Catholic bigot, it is not a big leap (in my mind) to believe he is also a racist, xenophobic paranoid nut case. Lets hope he does not become a martyr in the eyes of the nutty fringe groups.

6. pettyfog

Hell, I'm an anti-papist/anti-vatican bigot... but if I get to heaven like my Southern Baptist pastor said in a sermon, I expect to be 'tripping all over catholics'.
    Xenophobics know no boundaries!

When I start to bash 'em JP, I wont just use hyperbole... same as I will zero in on the Creationist fundamentalists' crap!
    - - - - - - - -- - - - - - -
    BTW:
    That movie, starring Michael Douglas, was Falling Down (1993)
    May prove almost eerily similar.

7. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

If they ever let the "Old Firm" into the EPL, I'll cheer for Celtic and you can cheer for Rangers (when when neither are playing Fulham).

8. pettyfog

You should pay better attention to my rants:

[​IMG]

heh.. second time in as many days, I've linked that on here.. see 'Harrods"

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Pettyfog, what you and I know -- but JP-STL and others may not be so aware of -- is that the anti-tax lunatic frings hates all members of the system equally. Democrats, Republicans, liberals, conservatives, independents, tea partiers, MSNBC, FOXNews, ALL are contributers to the system, and THE SYSTEM IS OUT TO GET THEM. The hatred of all things government did not begin with Obama and it certainly didn't begin with Bush.

This isn't the first time that we've had this sort of terrorist attack on our soil. The anti-government guys are always with us. They were responsible for bombing The Murrah Building. They -- like all terror groups, street gangs, football hooligan firms -- find their membership by telling people "what is happening to you is not your fault. It is because the government favors certain people over you. The GOVERNMENT is at fault. It is corrupt. It cannot do good. Eventually, some people come to believe that -- as this guy said -- violence is the ONLY answer. There are no political points to be won or lost here, since all politics loses every time terrorism takes a hand. It's just sad and disgusting.

Two comments to specific comments above:

1. Yes, his discussion of the tax avoidance group indicates that he was very much an actor in his first collision with the IRS. There have been lots of folks out there convincing people that the government has no right to tax; therefore there is no crime not to pay. Google Wesley Snipes some time.

2. Jim, as it turned out, if I hadn't printed the entire screed, nobody would have seen it here. The FBI has taken it down. You may decide to do so as well. If you do, I firmly understand. You have a right to censor -- since you ARE a mod and since you are NOT the government.

Last count, by the way, is two injured enough to be hospitalized, and one missing. The only confirmed death is the suicide bombing terrorist himself.

10. pettyfog

Well, I see your point on the full post and no-ones going to scream at mike for the whole thing being here {or I would have snipped and linked it}... but the entire thing is on the Business Insider link I posted and is on Smoking gun as well.
    The FBI obviously had the provider take the server down so that no one could mess with the evidence.
    Here's the Smoking Gun account of events of this morning:
    Note he uploaded the statement at 9:12 local then went to get in his plane, crashing it at about 9:58 local. Previously the site had no rants or views on anything but his business. Doesnt sound too much like an ideologue to me. He may have posted that elsewhere, surprised if he didnt, but that's something we will find out in time.

His discussion of the tax avoidance group seemed to me to be further evidence of 'they're all out to get me.'

However the tone more exactly fits the 'Falling Down' movie scenario that JP referenced.
    As I said in the other thread... he may have couched this in terms of the ultimate protest, but I think there's room for doubt that he really believed that.

11. pettyfog

That's a big-ass stretch, Spencer.

Several people tried to tie Amy Bishop to tea party. After all the three dead were all minority thus she may be racist, ergo TEA BAGGER!

I'll tell you what... I accede.
    Joe Stack was a 'Terrorist'

Fine. You guys insisted. Dont complain later.

And Don... quit embarrassing yourself. Why is it you are against simple citizens organizing for relief of perceived injustice.. because they are white!
    Ohhh.. here it is:
    Politics: Proles Have Gotten Under the Egalitarians’ Skin
    A. BARTON HINKLE TIMES-DISPATCH COLUMNIST
    Published: February 19, 2010
    - h/t Instapundit
    {Emphasis mine}
    heh... I think we can all agree it's pretty hard to hear.

- A Barton Hinkle Wow.. some moniker!

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I know you're just trying to be cute, but don't call me racist again.

13. pettyfog

There'll be a short pause in the dialog while
    I try to figure that one out.

{well, I already have... it's an emotional response to charges assumed, not made, nor would be made.. only the other are allowed those precepts.}