The new "Beckham Rule" -plus- Growing MLS

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Optimizer, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: "Beckham Rule" is a GO

I re-read your posts, and the thread from back in July in which we originally went back an forth. I see that yes it would appear that I'm over defensive of the league. I also see that you’re more than egger to take cheap shot swipes at the league.

Your last post was kinder to the league than any you've submitted before. You'd have to acknowledge that you appear ready to pounce on the league at all times. Before reading your post I have neither neither heard nor read anyone who sees the new developments in MLS as a bad thing. It appeared to me that you were looking to squash optimism and mock the league yet some more. Having re-read the thread I still feel that way.

The truth of it is I have plenty criticism of the league. I'll give you my laundry list if you want. But at the end of the day I'm a fan of the league and if I feel someone is giving unjust, criticism of the league or worse out right insults I'll defend it. And it’s not like I see all criticism as unjust critics either. I have no issue with the criticism anyone else has given the league on this site.

I'm sure you find faults with your mother but if I called her a "marginally decent training ground" you'd probably like to pop me in the jaw :shock:

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: "Beckham Rule" is a GO

Was that a momma joke? (I watched a promo for a momma joke show on MTV, but still have not seen it. It's just too damn difficult to keep up with these things.)

Let's agree I took an initial unprovoked swipe at your beloved MLS (there, typed it) way back when, and we'll also agree you leave my momma out of it.

You are a cheeky one!

Cheers. Get it in ya! (Oh wait, your still too young for that.)

3. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: "Beckham Rule" is

I'll have you know I'm a legal adult as of 28 days ago. I now can do all type of fun things like buy my friends their cigarettes.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: "Beckham Rule"

Let's cut to the chase...

PCB, if you havent already, watch 'Once in a Lifetime' The story of the Cosmos that ESPN Classic aired recently... it's not only entertaining, it dealt -as a sidenote to be sure- with all the pitfalls that MLS is trying to avoid.
    But maybe you have to THINK about it before you realize it

EVERYONE in the NASL venture lost money, a LOT of money. And the only one who could really write it off without much effect was Warner Communications who owned the Cosmos.
    Note that attendances for the Cosmos were Prem standard.. in one season about 50,000 avg. But other than the Rowdies, attendances for the OTHER teams were only good when Cosmos came to town.
    - - - - -- - - -
    To my knowledge the Crew is the only club to show black ink in a given year.. and much of that was to do with Stadium Event Rental.

Now the owners and MLS arent looking to make any money in the short run, they are still trying to build the league. But they have been at it only ten years.

Do oyu realize it took 20 years to make an NFL franchise an attractive proposition? And they were only going against BAseball. ANd it didnt become the modern Cash Cow for another 15 years.

Maybe it's because I've been arguing this issue on-line for 7 or 8 years but it's getting tedious to keep poiinting out to people that MLS does NOT think it is 'big-time- soccer. It's an equivalent of a European Second tier league and never made pretensions otherwise.

That's why the new stadiums are designed for 20-25 thousand

And as such, of course it's a 'feeder league'.... and isnt that a GOOD thing?

It just is what it is.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Hating to agree with Petty, and also agreeing with Spencer and PCB [and why are they disagreeing with each other?], but Petty is right on about the lessons learned from the NASL, and the aim and scope of MLS.

Perhaps the bone of contention is the term "feeder league." I think that the most talented Americans in the MSL will eventually leave [unless their initials are LD] for higher paychecks and greater challanges. But that doesn't denigrate the MLS.

If the MLS is to be a place to secure, nurture, mature, and showcase American talent on their way to the big time, then there's a model to the south of us that leaps to [my] mind. Brazil has been exporting its most talented players for a number of years. Their league has continued to be a viable force in South American football. It's not as competitive as Argentina, but it still draws well. And they haven't exactly suffered on the international level by exporting that talent.

I think that PCB has moderated his tone somewhat, and that he values the league for what it can do for American players [like him?] down the road. I don't think he's denigrating folks like Spencer and DCH who fervently follow the league and its teams.

As for the parlay back and forth, I think it's great. What this site exists for is for Americans to be passionate about their fitba.

6. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Oh my tone has changed quite a bit from my initial one. The time I've spent thinking (yes actually THINKING Petty) and typing about this issue should be evidence enough. Hell, I've proposed plans, stuck holes in arguments, got in touch with my feelings (thank you, Heather), and not backed down from any of the pro-MLS supporters making their arguments on rose colored soap boxes. But I don't believe I've denigrated anyone either, nor the league. I'm not sure my opponents can say the same. But I'm not trying to win a popularity contest. I just look at things a little differently in this debate and express that view.

Not everyone can agree on much of anything, and certainly this issue is one that many minds differ on. One thing I know for sure though, is that the League will not do much for an American player like me, unless they start up a 35 and over league and the rest of the guys are all over 50. But thank you Don.

7. pettyfog

What has ALWAYS pissed me off the most are those so-called 'fans' of the sport who loudly proclaim that they arent going to pay to watch MLS games until the talent and play is on a par with the big leagues.
    So I have to ask just how that is supposed to happen, if the fan waits for the BANDWAGON?!!!!!!!!

- Note: this is said without prejudice and is free-standing and not meant to refer to previous discussions here- gulp!

8. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Perhaps this comment is directed at me and if so, that is fine. I do consider myself a fan of MLS. I am a Chicago Fire supporter although I did NOT go to one game this season. I watched a good number of them on TV though.

I did not go to a game this season because I am not going to spend $20 for a ticket and $15 to park to watch this team play when I can watch it on TV in the comfort of my living room.

I am not going to bitch about the fact that MLS is not on par with the Premiership and such, but I do think their prices, at least in Chicago, are a bit steep.

Please understand though that I have no problem whatsoever watching sports on television. More times than not I prefer watching games on TV than being there in person. I am surely in the minority on that one, but that is just how I am.

I have no major qualms with MLS, I just choose to spend my money in other areas. At present time my wife and I are saving feverishly to try and buy a house, which in Chicago costs an arm and a leg. That being said, I watch my TV at home and save the $35-$50 I would spend going to a Fire game.

That being said, I am still a fan. I may not be the rowdiest fan and the most vocal Fire/MLS fan, but I do consider myself a fan.

9. pettyfog

Yeah.. I GOT that.. dont protest too much, though maybe i shouldnt have even mentioned it.. you arent the only one to imply that, and the types I refer to just come out and SAY IT.

10. BC

BC New Member

I think the MLS has made two excellent moves in allowing teams to pay more for star players and to sign players in their youth systems directly. These changes will allow the league to move forward and improve. And while I don't think MLS will be on par with the best European leagues unless their is a shift in sports culture in the US, I think the league has gotten better over time and will continue to do so. Watching the MLS Championship, I was impressed at the level of play relative to some games I remember several years ago. And let's not forget, the MLS is a young league. I wonder what the EPL was like after it's 10th season?

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, the EPL in its first season was enjoying a slightly slimmer version of the old 1st division that had existed for about 100 years. But perhaps you were referring to the early days of the original football league.

I think the MLS is progressing well, and is a much better product than the old NASL. I think the sponsorship thing with RSL is a good idea, and I like the nurturing, but I'm not sure the "star player" exception is the best way to go. We'll see. As long as there's meat in the seat and good young American players mature and replenish the team.

The most important thing to me about the MLS [no franchise in SA, remember] is what it does for the USMNT. Young folks don't appreciate what it's like, but I became a soccer nut in the 1960s when the idea of the US going to the World Cup or having players in the world's top league was something i couldn't conjure up with the assistance of the best drugs.

Now folks like Reyna and Harkes didn't need the league to get their careers off to a good start, but I doubt if some of the guys we've seen do well over there would have had a sniff without the MLS. How good is it at producing quality players? Mexico has one EPL player, the US has more than a dozen. Do the math.

12. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Some of those players went straight to, but the numbers are not lost on me either. Just the fact that our guys are getting a lot more looks and invitations to "practice" in Europe, tells me we are catching up. So in that sense, the MLS is succeeding in providing a forum for some of the U.S. players to display their abilities in hopes of jumping to Europe. To me, for now, that is more important. And perhaps the "Beckham Rule" is somewhat in response to that. Right now, there are quite few MLS'ers who want to throw off the shackles.

13. WonsanUnited

WonsanUnited New Member

I say NO to the Beckham rule. Why? Because the MLS is a developmental league in a way for North American soccer players. Many European scouts check out the MLS, and many MLS players have been doing well in Europe. I don't want to see an old David Beckham, old Ronaldo, or old Figo. It's just a marketing gimmick. What the MLS needs is more talent from the South. Many top Mexican and South American players are coming to the MLS right now. We have better fields, better fans (We don't fire flares all over the place and start riots), and we're a better place to raise a family. If the MLS needs European players, look towards Eastern Europe.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Excellent points all, Wonsan; thanks for the post.

15. BC

BC New Member

Unfortunately, I think MLS needs a gimmick or two in increase interest in the sport. We need a good ambassador for the game and Becks has publicly stated that he would like to help the soccer movement in America. The Beckham brand could be a boon to soccer culture in America.

Plus, I agree with you, I think most of us here don't fancy seeing old Becks, old Figo, etc because we've been watching them already. But to the average Yank who doesn't follow soccer, getting to see these superstars, aging though they may be, could be a real treat for them and perhaps engender an interest in the sport.

16. WonsanUnited

WonsanUnited New Member

What the MLS needs to get out is that there are superstars in the MLS and many MLS graduates are having successful careers in Europe. Point out Brina McBride, Tim Howard, Clint Dempsey, Pablo Mastroeni. The talent is here but the MLS is not marketing it.

17. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I see your point. The thing I would say is its not a requirement that you use this rule and the freedom to spend more money on players it provides, to bring in a fading star. Though individual owners may use the rule in that manner. If a owner wishes to splash a bit of cash to bring in some higher priced young South American talent he can.

18. WonsanUnited

WonsanUnited New Member

Also getting talent from Eastern Europe would be good. They're developing good players (Petr Nedved, Andriy Shevchenko) for the past fifteen years. It would be nice to get a feel of the playing styles from all over the world. But I say start with South American talent (Which is already happening) and use this Beckham rule on whatever the owner feels like.

But the whole problem is, what would happen to the MLS? Would it fold like the NASL or would it become a good high-quality league that could have clubs that can compete with Championship or League One teams? I feel like having older European players mixed with some high quality South American talent can work big time. But also having the European experience can help MLS players get an idea of the European game which could create high-quality football (I said football not soccer :| ).

It seem that the NY Red Bulls, my hometown team, are looking at Claudio Reyna to be the first player signed under the new Beckham rule. It makes sense seeing how he lives in New York and a fabulous career in top flight English football is coming to an end. His experience could help the youngsters.

19. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I'm not to worried about the NASL thing yet, after all a team can only have a maximum of two higher priced players under the Beckham rule and it looks at this point like view teams will be using the rule at all this year.

Agreed on Eastern Europe. We should get talent where ever there is talent to get. The best selling point is the American lifestyle, the fact that the checks always clear, and that the facilities are good. Things that aren't always the case in South America.