The Myth of the Latin American Player

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by FFCinPCB, Nov 27, 2007.

1. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Unlike Gazidis, I think you can learn from many different soccer styles and philosophies. But then again, perhaps this has more to do with marketing and perception of who will be fans in the future, then with the actually improving the product.

And if that is the case, too bad the MLS heads are ignoring the fact that there still seem to be quite a few more of us "European-Americans" compared to "Latin-Americans" in the United States.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... 78&cc=5901

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I think you're reading too much into what he said.

I dont really disagree with any of it. Certainly, while Beckham filled some MLS purses, it was Schelotto that raised the ante for Cols fans, Blanco for the
    Fire, Angel for NY.

I dont think he is shirking off the need to develop 'Anglish' American players... what he's saying, I believe, is that the guys from south of the border can inspire as well.... or maybe even more so.

3. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

PCB swings and a misses....

Ummmm PCB I know you love taking swipes at the "MLS heads" but I think your really grasping at straws here.

One complaint about MLS constantly heard in recent years is that MLS dosen't have enough latin influence, coaching, players, ect. Particularly given the large latin population and proximity to Latin America.

So now MLS starts bringing in a few Brazillans, a couple Argies, a Mexican, and a Colombian for good measure. Seeing their immediate impact on the field(way way waaaaay more than Beckham) it causes the Deputy comish of the league to say

This causes PCB to say;

Now as stated the South Americans eluded to made 10 fold on the field impact of Beckham or any other euro brought it. If marketing and perception had more to do with bringing in certain players, rest assured it was the guy from England. And with regard to learning from different soccer styles and philosophies; do the Argentine, Brazillan, Colombian, and Mexican styles and philosophies not count?

Its been far to long since we last had a thread sniping at one another about MLS :D

4. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

RE: PCB swings and a misses....

Well what about the fact that Blanco is the same age, if not older, than Beckham

5. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

RE: PCB swings and a misses....

interesting article. I'm assuming that what this Gazidis guy is indirectly saying is that for Americans to become better players the League has to get better, and that it will do so by looking to Latin America over Europe. Why? Because the best players in Europe will stay in Europe. Now obviousy the best players in Latin America go there as well, but I think what he's saying is look at the guys we've been able to bring in to MLS and what they have done for the League. It's clear that he thinks that American talent isn't good enough and I'm just assuming that to make it better, he wants better competition in the League.

6. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Re: RE: PCB swings and misses....

The whole article is based on three short quotes, and thats not one of them. Theres no way the deputy commissioner of the league is going to call Beckham, a huge investment, an aging star. They're putting words in his mouth.

7. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Oh, I think I swung and HIT.......a Spencer nerve.

It is no secret that many with the MLS think they should market much more to Hispanics than to Euro-Americans. Will bringing in GOOD players from Latin America help teams and the league. Well just ask Shaktar Donetsk, CSKA Moscow, Barcelona, and others.

But the good players from Latin America will go where again?? Exactly!

This is marketing strategy, plain and simple. The best players from anywhere will play in the best leagues. And that is NOT MLS!

Don't get all pissy with me. I'm just the messenger.

8. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Your the messenger eh, whats the message?

MLS isn't Europe........revolutionary

Your taking a swipe at MLS because they've brought in some latin players and plan to do more, claiming its all marketing nothing to do with the quality of play. Completely ignoring the fact that players such as Blanco, Angel, Emilo, Scheletto were nothing but positives on the field this year, and that the one Euro who your apparently advocating more of did NOTHING on the field and was clearly 100% marketing.

Opportunistic sucker punches do indeed hit my nerve.

9. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

RE: Re: The Myth of the Latin American Player

Just reading between the lines, and probably caring yet again about the MLS entirely too much.

Time will tell.

Opportunistic sucker punch? Hmmmmm, maybe I do have a future as a writer!

10. pettyfog

Re: RE: Re: The Myth of the Latin American Player

Huh... Yeah, 'for us to poop on'! {was gonna stick an image of certain cigar smokin dog in here, but the copyright cops seem to be hot and heavy regarding that idiot image.}

Here's something you may not have considered. The Central and SA players have looked at MLS, for several years, as a possible stepping stone to Europe.
    No, I'm not saying they ALL do.. it's that MLS plays a game that seems more like the euro style. and they think Euro clubs look at MLS more than some of the SA leagues.

Note the operative: 'Think'

11. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

12. BarryP

BarryP New Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: The Myth of the Latin American Player

Different sides of the same coin. Any European/English player that comes to the MLS and creates a buzz is going to be marketed to Anglo-Americans and any Latin/Mexican player that comes to the MLS and creates a buzz is going to be marketed to Latin Americans. Garber and Gazidis probably spend most of their waking hours pondering ways in which the MLS fan base can be increased and then continue to dream about it when they fall asleep.

Gazidis is simply acknowledging the natural market that exists for the MLS in Mexico, Latin America and South America. The countries are full of football fanatics, they are in similar time zones, and decent players or aging stars from those countries are much more affordable than players from England or Europe.

However, I have little doubt that the next Beckhamesqe type of player that wants to export himself to the MLS will be welcomed and overhyped to the MLS's fullest capabilities.

13. pettyfog

Sorry, Franek... I dont get your point. BarryP is right.

Look at it this way, the SA and Mex stars put maybe as much as 1000 butts in seats. Beckham puts 10,000 butts in seats.

Beckham's influence on the game itself, not so great; but it gives the SA players an audience to see their contributions... which DID make a difference on the pitch.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I still resent the "we have to have Latin players to appeal to Latin fans." It's pure racism and, like all racism, it comes from ignorance and stupidity. It's like telling someone from San Antonio that Anglos don't cheer for Manu Ginobili and Latinos don't cheer for Tim Duncan or Tony Parker.

All fans -- Latin or Anglo -- want to see a good quality product on the pitch. They want to see dazzling skills, effort, and commitment, and they want their kids to see it. Foreign experienced talent has the possibility of helping. GBS and JPA did wonders -- not because of their ethnicity, but because of their talent and the fact that they wanted to get it done on the pitch.

I'd like to see more football people, as opposed to MBAs with demographic information, determine the future of MLS. For example, for about 100 years, there have been two traditional hotbeds of soccer in English-speaking America -- Toronto and St. Louis. We still don't have a franchise in St. Louis and it wasn't until this year that we got one in Toronto, but we have one in Salt Lake City? Whazzup with that?

That last part wasn't a slam at doggie or other RSLC fans, but SLC and NOT St.L. It doesn't make sense.

15. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

My point is that sometimes perception is reality. And these two somewhat contradictory and very publicly expressed points of view potentially paint a picture of a confused leadership in what is supposed to be a professional and organized organization.

Now if they want to be cute, and use slight of hand or semantics to say that they have never deviated from their charted course, I understand that, but what is the majority of the publics' perception?

Lack of communication, lack of leadership, lack of clearly defined direction. Who Captains this Mostly Lost Ship??

16. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

SLC has a solid soccer following community. Utah sends a LOT of missionaries to South America and few return without some appreciation for the game. Like everwhere else, most of the fans are watching FSC, GolTV, the Spanish channels, and Setanta, but improve the product and you'll have a solid fanbase there, one that understands the Boca Juniors-River rivalry.

17. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Even the British readily admit that Boca v. River Plate is probably the most intense and biggest rivalry in fitba.

18. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

While it is racism, arent we all guilty. I like seeing US players on Fulham. I want lots of US players in MLS and on European teams that are televised. I dont care if they're white, black, hispanic, or hawaiian US players but I like them to be from the US. I think the Latin fans are probably the same. Not that I dont enjoy good soccer by anyone, I am just more likely to watch and attend if there are American players.

Maybe Americans have had it right all along by following sports that are primarily domestic and not caring about international competitions like the World Cup. Certainly makes the average American sports fan seem less racist or nationalistic.

19. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

But much more protectionist. Which, historicaly, is not exactly the best policy.

Ah, the politics of sports. Good stuff.

20. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

i have to admit I don't know much about St. Louis and soccer there other than it's connection with the World Cup when we beat England and how a large part of the team was from St. Louis. As far as why there is a team here in SLC...two reasons. The owner Dave Checketts spent time here as a front office member of the Jazz in the 80's and while here he saw the vast amounts of Latin Americans who live on the West side of the city. Secondly, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has anywhere from 150,000-200,000 missionaries out serving 2 year proselyting missions worldwide. A large portion of those are from Utah and come home from foreign missions having accumulated a love for soccer because of the country they served in. Because a lot of Mormon families are really big, Checketts sees the opportunity for good support and that's why he brought a team here. I think he's been spot on too as we've been at or near the top of the attendance list every year even with a shoddy team. Having said that, I agree, let's get St. Louis a team. Let's expand this League as long as it can continue to support itself.