The Middle School League

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by FFCinPCB, Jul 15, 2006.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I agree with Spencer about the USMNT & USWNT matches that FSC will take. I've watched far too many internationals [and far too many MLS matches] on Spanish language channels because no English language network picked them up -- or ABC did and the local affiliate decided not to.

When we beat Brazil, I was watching on Telemundo [because of one of the situations above], but that was special because of the call on the goal: "Preki Preki Preki Preki PREKI gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooallllllll!

2. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Wow, blow off the cobwebs and get stuck in on this issue all over again.

And just as the dam breaks, and Real Madrid unleashes several hundred millions of pounds of European talent and pressure on DC United (a historical powerhouse in its domestic league) and the MSL.

3. BarryP

BarryP New Member

4. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Yes, already read it. Or at least tried to read it. Seems like he tried too hard in that effort.

The name Eurosnob bothers me not. In fact, maybe that will be my new handle. Beats "soccer dork", which is an appropriate term for those Americans who think they are making a point by calling someone a EuroSnob.

EuroSnob? You bet I am. That's just one of the reasons why I am here. There is not a club in the States that comes close.

5. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I'd rate it about here:

If you considering changing your handle I would suggest that EuroSnob doesn't have quite enough panache. How about WhitesComicBookFan?

6. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

See, does all of that make sense to you and have a point?

I am concerned if so. Not to mention, isn't everyone on this site a fan of Fulham? A Premiership Club? In England? And as much as the English may take acception to it, in Europe?

I don't know, maybe I'm missing something, but it is the twisted logic of many a MSL fan that is part of the problem and reason I can't get on board yet. Their attempted wittisisms and justifications just leave many people scratching their head and thinking, "You really are a rather odd little soccer dork." Cute in some ways, irritating in many others, but most definitely a soccer dork.

7. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

The Eurosnob Scale

Wherein Dan Loney takes your lame, shifting arguments and fashions them into an UGLY STICK and beats you wit' 'em!

I am reminded, when I read your missives, of when I was back in eighth grade and the new teeny girls, having 'graduated' and been enlightened by 'Guidance' class. {I could do a story on the teacher and all she conveyed} adapted a catch phrase/mantra that probably warped their personalities for the rest of their lives:

"I am an individual, I am my own person!"
    - some sang it in chorus.

PS: Your only saving grace on the subject is that you are not a Chelsea or ManU fan.
    So... yes.. WE FOLLOW Fulham, AND MLS. How is that 'twisted logic'? Your argument, please.
    - - - - -- -
    Steve'll like this:

8. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Didn't say anyone could not follow any European (or South American) club and not be a fan of MLS as well. But the constant, incessant need to justify yourselves only makes your shortcomings more obvious, and is probably making it harder to improve the level of play and quality of the league, and is most definitely obviously keeping droves of American fans from signing up. Especially those who consider themselves members of a European Football blog community like FulhamUSA...

Jus' sayin'.

9. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Steve'll like this:
    [/quote]

That made me laugh out loud.

FWIW, #9 is entorely legitimate -- someday the league will have to do away with the single entity and stand as every other sports league does in this country. The only other single entity league was the Arena Football League -- did anyone notice they officially folded up shop this week? And #11, promotion and relegation, is entirely too good and original an idea for MLS to adopt it.

My biggest gripe is the come-one, come-all playoff system. That has softened a little bit as the league has expanded, but once the league is at 18-20 teams (please no more!)I hope they have the sense not to make another cash grab and expand the playoffs to 12 teams or whatever it would be. The regular season has to mean something to someone other than the bean counters, that is the worst part of the NBA and NHL. Fog disagreed with this opinion earlier this year when I stated that the Crew didn't have as much to worry about re: their slow start as Spurs or the Toon ( :lol: :lol: ) did from how poorly they started last year. Sure his boys have been on a tear, as he will gladly remind us, but the end result is the Crew were not made to suffer the way that Spurs were, having to leapfrog 12 other teams to get into Europe and not being able to do it. And I am still sore at MLS for the year the Galaxy won the cup after playing like crap from April to September, going on a tear, and winning the cup in 04 or 05.

Bottom line, there's room for footy on both sides of the pond, why does it have to be an either/or proposition? If you don't like it, don't watch it.

10. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

As stated many times before on this website, it is a case of mistaken motivations.

It is not that many of us don't care about the Footy in the United States, it is that we care too much.